3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 11:41 AM by John Hawkinson

Cannot open Indesign PC CS 5.5 files on Mac CS 5.0

sananita

I was told these two versions were compatible both ways but it doesn't seem to be working. The files I worked on at home on my PC using InDesign CS 5.5 will not open on my Mac using InDesign CS 5.0. It gives a message of missing plugins but I  updated the Mac CS 5.0 plugins and it still doesn't work. Is there any work around? I prefer to work on my iMac.

Missing InDesign plugins on Mac CS 5.0

FormField

XML

Generic Page item

Text

Dynamic Documents

Hyperlinks

Document Framework

Graphics

• 1. Re: Cannot open Indesign PC CS 5.5 files on Mac CS 5.0
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Crossing platforms is not an issue. The issue is that InDesign CS5 cannot open CS5.5 files. But if you export or save the files from CS5.5 as IDML, you'll be able to open them in CS5.

• 2. Re: Cannot open Indesign PC CS 5.5 files on Mac CS 5.0
            Rains_&_Shines

I too have CS 5.5 and need to transfer files to CS5 machines at school. Yeah, I think Steve is right.  I think the message about the plug-ins is incorrect, and may have been removed from updated versions of CS5.  I don't think updating plugins, or CS5, will work.  As far as I know!  Most of the time if you export to InDesign Markup Language, it will work.  Sometimes I have found, however, that it does not, for some reason, depending on my computer in the lab at school.  But, if you package the indd file, then go back and open the indd from the package, then export it back into the package as an IDML, it will work.  Ofcourse, you have to transfer the whole package, instead of just one file, but this has saved my rear-end at school; just open the IDML version from the package (both IDML and INDD will be in the package file).

• 3. Re: Cannot open Indesign PC CS 5.5 files on Mac CS 5.0
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Yeah, I think Steve is right.

Oh, there's no question. This is a frequently asked question and the answer is easily the same.

I think the message about the plug-ins is incorrect, and may have been removed from updated versions of CS5

No, the flawed message remains in CS5 7.0.4, the latest update.

I don't think updating plugins, or CS5, will work.

Correct, it will not.

Its hard to say what went wrong with your IDML export without more information.