13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 8:23 AM by jetrased

Modal Focus Question

jetrased

Hi

IU am using popupManager to display a login form for an application. I was having issues getting the popup to become the active focus (I was not able to tab to the textInput fields, the parent application was getting the focus).

I implemented mx.core.IFlexDisplayObject in my Login component that I was loading and the textFields became able to be tabbed. However I noticed something else. They became tabbable when I had set the modal value to false. The drawback is that the application in the background does not get disabled awaiting the login details.

The problem i am having is: I want the modal set to true while also enabling the tabbing. I am wondering what the best way to achieve this is?

Should I set it to false and disabel the background? (if so -how) Or is there something I am missing?

The PopUp gets called on creation complete. I am wondering alos is it a timing thing, of the popup getting created at the same time as the application and hence not getting the focus?

Creating the PopUp form the main application.

stwLogOn = StwLogOn(PopUpManager.createPopUp(this, StwLogOn, true));

stwLogOn.addEventListener("clickOK", handleCloseLogOnDlg);

Any suggestions woudl be great.

• 1. Re: Modal Focus Question
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Does the popup implement IFocusManagerContainer?

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.<http://www.adobe.com/>

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 2. Re: Modal Focus Question
            jetrased Level 1

Hi

Ah no id does not, I used the BorderContainer component instead as I believe that inherits the IFocusManagerContainer and the problem is gone. Thanks for that

• 3. Re: Modal Focus Question
              jetrased Level 1

Hi

Random bug I noticed, I am using a setINterval method to delay the calling of my Modal window popup. This along with the IFocusManagerContainer seemed to have eliminated my problem. However I checked running it in chrome and the problem is back, works fine in IE and Firefox, any thoughts on what might be causing this?

The setinterval has a 2second delay to allow the application to loading befor epoppint up the login form

• 4. Re: Modal Focus Question
                saisri2k2 Level 4

Yes, I agree with jetrased, use Timer or setInterval to delay setting the focus, even I use 2 sec

• 5. Re: Modal Focus Question
                  jetrased Level 1

Any ideas on why the delay needs to be longer for chrome? Tried googling but is there a way to set different intervals / timers depending on the browser?

• 6. Re: Modal Focus Question

Relying on timers is a bad practice.  It is effectively trying to fix an intermittent problem with an intermittent event.  There is a certain amount of probability involved.

It is better to understand the sequence of events and use events to trigger the focus code.  Usually, waiting for applicationComplete is a good time to put up a popup, and the popup should wait for creationComplete before setting focus.  If that doesn’t work, I would delay via callLater from the creationComplete event, not a timer.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

• 7. Re: Modal Focus Question
                      jetrased Level 1
                      • I tried to use the applicationComplete but it doesn't seem to wrok. I am wondering about your setting focus, I am currently not setting any focus, wondering if that is my problem.

here is the code example

<ns:WorkspaceApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"

xmlns:ns="http://www.ns.com/flex/mxml" creationComplete="creationComplete()">

Then in that method I am calling

callLater(popupLogOnDlg);

And the Method then calling the popup

stwLogOn = new StwLogOn();

stwLogOn = StwLogOn(PopUpManager.createPopUp(this, StwLogOn, true));

PopUpManager.centerPopUp(stwLogOn);

The component stwLogOn is built on BorderContainer

• 8. Re: Modal Focus Question

Usually, a popup’s creationComplete handler calls setFocus() on something.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

• 9. Re: Modal Focus Question
                          jetrased Level 1

When I called set focus on one of the text input fields, the focus is put onto that field . However when I tab, it goes back to the application in the background.

I can't think why that is happening.

• 10. Re: Modal Focus Question

You sure your popup implements IFocusManagerContainer?

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

• 11. Re: Modal Focus Question
                              jetrased Level 1

Yeah it should, I have attached code incase I am way off.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:BorderContainer            cornerRadius="10"  borderStyle="inset" borderWeight="6"           left="10" right="10" top="10" bottom="10"

xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:sas="http://www.sas.com/flex/mxml"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" width="400" height="200"

implements="mx.managers.IFocusManagerContainer"

defaultButton = "{okBtn}" creationComplete="doIt(event)">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import com.sas.commons.controls.Alert;

import com.sas.commons.images.ImageLibrary;

import mx.events.CloseEvent;

import mx.events.FlexEvent;

import mx.managers.FocusManager;

import mx.managers.IFocusManagerContainer;

import mx.managers.PopUpManager;

public var focus:FocusManager

private function handleClickOK():void

{

dispatchEvent(new Event("clickOK"))

}

private const BACKGROUND_COLOR:Object = "haloBlue";

private function formItem_focusIn(evt:FocusEvent):void {

var item:FormItem = FormItem(evt.currentTarget.parent);

item.setStyle("backgroundAlpha", 0.2);

item.setStyle("backgroundColor", BACKGROUND_COLOR);

}

private function formItem_focusOut(evt:FocusEvent):void {

var item:FormItem = FormItem(evt.currentTarget.parent);

item.setStyle("backgroundColor", null);

}

protected function doIt(event:FlexEvent):void

{

// TODO Auto-generated method stub

nameTextInput.setFocus();

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<mx:Form width="100%"  paddingTop="50">

<mx:FormItem width="100%" fontThickness="620" fontSize="15"  label="User name:" horizontalAlign="center">

<mx:TextInput width="100%"

focusIn="formItem_focusIn(event);"

focusOut="formItem_focusOut(event);" restrict="A-Za-z0-9_." id="nameTextInput"/>

</mx:FormItem>

<mx:FormItem  width="100%" fontThickness="220" fontSize="15" label="Password:" horizontalAlign="left">

<mx:TextInput width="100%"

focusIn="formItem_focusIn(event);"

focusOut="formItem_focusOut(event);" id="keywordTextInput" displayAsPassword="true"/>

</mx:FormItem>

</mx:Form>

<mx:HBox x="0" y="120" width="100%" horizontalAlign="right" >

<sas:Spacer height="10"/>

<sas:Button label="Log On" id="okBtn" click="handleClickOK()"/>

<sas:Spacer width="10"/>

</mx:HBox>

</s:BorderContainer>

• 12. Re: Modal Focus Question

If you type a few chars before you tab, does it go in the TextInput?

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

• 13. Re: Modal Focus Question
                                  jetrased Level 1

No even if you type and then tab, you can see the backgroup shell being selected. So the focus moves off the popup.