4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 1:28 AM by Eugene Tyson

Problems exporting 9pg doc with table & lots of images! HELP!

quirk8113

We have a 9 page directory of truck stops with 16 columns of info for stop. There is at least 1 image in each row (pretty small, about 1/4" square), some rows have up to 6 images of similar size. They are all placed inside the table, not just loosely on the document. We use to be able to export a smallest file size pdf that would be out at about 20mb. For some reason it seems to have gone up to 30+mb.

Most of the images that are placed inside of the table are eps. This was my original concern, so I went through and converted all of them to ai's which produced smaller file sizes than their eps counterparts. I thought this would certainly make my pdf's smaller. Especially after finding 3 culprits that were 7-9mb (reduced to less than 1mb ai). WRONG. Just relinking these 3 eps's to the ai's increased my exported pdf size by 3 mb.

I then decided to go through and swap out the eps's that are in the document several times (anything over 4 times, some links are in here close to 100 times) with all of the ai's I created. This actually shot my file size up to nearly 40mb.

So what do I need to do here? Should I even bother attempting to rebuild the whole table in hopes of creating a pdf that is closer to 10mb? Should I be using eps, ai, tiff, jpg? These are company logos and need to reproduce at high quality for a magazine so using a vector format would be preferrable.

I did not create the original document and it may have been created but someone with no idea what they were doing. We ideally need something that can be emailed to the client for proofing.

HELP!!!!

• 1. Re: Problems exporting 9pg doc with table & lots of images! HELP!
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Since no one has chimed in.

I believe that complex gradients and transparency usage within vector will produce larger pdf output, so it may be benificial in this case to save some of those logo's to tiff from ai. Obviously that may rquire more time than you would like to budget.

Bear in mind, you may be able to leave them in ai format, but follow general layer usage guidlines. When exporting, if there is transparency flattening, all objects on the applicable layer can affected. Isolating text to a highest layer, and using multple layers will reduce the number off items being flattened. If you're working with only one layer, I would certanly expect to see an improvement.

• 2. Re: Problems exporting 9pg doc with table & lots of images! HELP!
            quirk8113 Level 1

Well thanks for the input but that's not really the issue. Very few if any of the items include any gradients and transparency isnt really an issue except on a handful of things that only appear a few times.

All of the images are placed as inline graphics on the table. Can I still split them out in seperate layers aside from the text? Ill give this a shot tomorrow although I'm not sure if it'll solve my problems, especially if I can't bust table info into seperate layers. Thanks though!

Any more ideas/suggestions?

• 3. Re: Problems exporting 9pg doc with table & lots of images! HELP!
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Why is the file size important to you? Consider using a service like Dropbox or a private ftp server to get the large file to your client, or even just splitting up the resulting PDF into 2 or 3 pieces that are email-able.

You might pay close attention to your Illustrator saving settings. I would tend to expect EPS would be smallest of all the choices, and editable .ai with PDF compatibility would be the largest. Though your milage may vary a lot.

You could try Audit Space Usage in Acrobat Pro to see where the space is going...

• 4. Re: Problems exporting 9pg doc with table & lots of images! HELP!
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is the amount of EPS files.

This idea is a bit out there - but you can conver the EPS to raster on the fly with InDesign - which will result in a smaller PDF size. But you will lose the vector goodness of the logos - so be sure to quality check each of them.

Check out Idea #2 in the comments of this post http://indesignsecrets.com/creating-smaller-pdfs-from-a-vector-dense-book.php

David Blattner's idea is to have a transparent object (say just a square set to 0% transparency) then make a Flatterner Preset of High Quality, say 2400 ppi for vectors being rasterised.

This means that your vectors will be rasterised - but it will produce a smaller PDF size.