5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 4:58 PM by TradeWind

Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC

TradeWind Level 3

I'm batch capturing footage from 5 years ago for a client that wants another copy of their video. 1 tape was shot REC RUN timecode and it batch captured without issue. However, the 2nd tape is FREE RUN timecode and the capture utility bounces all over the place trying to find the in point. 50 clips, 0 successful captures.

Have adjusted handles, etc....no dice. I actually had re-captured this tape in CS4 a few years back and it worked fine, might have lost one clip total. Now in CS5, nada.

Let me know if anyone has an idea what I can do to make PPro park the playback right on the in point without trying to preroll, because nothing I've tried so far has worked.

For all I know it's a specific issue with CS5...dunno....I turned my back on MiniDV tape a while back and have not tried it since.

Using CS5, PC, Panasonic camcorder is the capture device.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

Check your first item on the unsuccesful batch. If there is blank tape or not enough preroll, it could foul the capture. The fix could be as simple as pre-queing the tape or changing the pre-roll settings in the dv device controls.

If the tape was initially catptured with scene detect, rather than batch capture, that could be a whole different ball of wax.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC
            Stephen_Spider Level 3

Also you could uncheck the first item in the batch capture, see if the rest will capture correctly, then manuually capture the first item.

• 3. Re: Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not capture the whole tape with scene detection.

Then chuck out the clips you do not want.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC
                TradeWind Level 3

Stephen_Spider wrote:

Check your first item on the unsuccesful batch. If there is blank tape or not enough preroll, it could foul the capture. The fix could be as simple as pre-queing the tape or changing the pre-roll settings in the dv device controls.

If the tape was initially catptured with scene detect, rather than batch capture, that could be a whole different ball of wax.

Yep, usually I had an issue on the 1st item because it's usually bars/tone at the very front of the tape. This recapture issue is, however, affecting every clip. I tried queuing the tape up directly at the frame and removing handles/pre-roll and nada.

But yes, the tape was originally scene detect. Still, I did scene detect on 1,000s of MiniDV tapes over the years and only now (in CS5) am I have this particular problem.

• 5. Re: Batch Capture (Re-Capture) with Free Run TC
                  TradeWind Level 3

Ann Bens wrote:

Why not capture the whole tape with scene detection.

Then chuck out the clips you do not want.

Ultimately this is what I intend to do if I can't find a resolution for this issue by the time I start working on the project again tomorrow. It should work, re-linking clips doesn't involve preroll or handles so I don't expect any problems going that route. I do expect to capture about twice as much footage as I actually need, as you indicated, so that will be a small hassle but that seems to be the workaround for the moment.

Thanks for the responses....if anyone else has something they'd like to add (or if anyone is aware of this kind of thing being a recognized bug) feel free to weigh in here. I might file a bug report...it seems to be that the preroll settings are not being recognized, or something along those lines.

Oh, I should also have noted that this is a fresh (er...4 week old) install of CS5 on a fresh (ahem...also 4 week old) install of Win7 x64. So there's not an application conflict...this is just an Adobe computer for all intents and purposes.