3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 11:36 PM by Peroyomas

Importing MPEG-2 videos on OS X Lion

Peroyomas Level 1

I've used to import DVD videos (MPEG-2 video with AC3 audio, generally) on Snow Leopard with no problem, but have no luck on Lion ("unsupported compression format"). Lion comes with MPEG-2 support for the Quicktime X player, yet it seems that Premiere relies on the Quicktime 7 codecs, which don't support MPEG-2 on Lion. Any way to solve this?

• 1. Re: Importing MPEG-2 videos on OS X Lion
          I.R Level 1

Go to http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html and download Mpeg Streamclip (every editor should have Mpeg Streamclip anyway )

Inside the package you will find Utility MPEG2 Component Lion that will help you install MPEG-2 Playback Component for QT7 (Lion).... although I'm not 100% sure that will solve the issue.

• 2. Re: Importing MPEG-2 videos on OS X Lion
            Peroyomas Level 1

I did what they say but the videos still don't import correctly on Premiere. Only the "video" track appears and is a completely black still at 1fps. Only the video "length" is correct. If I import the audio demuxed, says that it don't recognize the format. The video plays fine on MPEG Streamclip, yet the last time I exported a MPEG-2 video from there in another compressed format to use in Premiere, the Premiere output video ended with the colors all wrong. Quicktime 7 plays the videos, but sans audio. It frustrates me a lot especially since I could import the very same videos directly in Premiere without problem before.

• 3. Re: Importing MPEG-2 videos on OS X Lion
              Peroyomas Level 1

I still don't know how to solve this. Premiere Pro on my iMac with OS X Lion don't import .vob files, however if I change the extension to .mpg/.mpeg they import, but sans audio and a black still as the image.