7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 8:23 AM by the_wine_snob

How to overlay opaque rectangle with title

moonliiner Level 1

Can't find this in FAQ or instructions, I must be using wrong search terms. I have a music video need to change title. Would like to overlay old title with white rectangle then type new title over that. How can I do this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You can "alter" that existing Title, by creating a new Title. For the Opaque rectangle, use the Shape>Rectangle Tool, and position/size it, as is necessary. If you need to adjust the Stroke (the border), or the Fill (the color in the rectangle), just apply a Style with Stroke & Fill, and then adjust those elements. If you only need Fill, then eliminate the Stroke, or choose a Style with only Fill. The color can be adjusted to suit.

To add Text, just use the Text Tool, and type in the rectangle, using the Selection Tool (arrowhead) to move it about, as is needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at Text on a white Shape (rectangle, drawn to size), with no Stroke:

Text_on-Shape.png

That is from PrE 4.0, but is the same in all recent versions of PrE.

For drawing the Shape, just choose the Rectangle Tool, then click+drag to size it. If you need to move it, just use the Selection Tool (arrowhead). The Text was added above the Shape, and as you can see, all of the Video below (that was on Video Track 4), shows around the Shape.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
              moonliiner Level 1

Thanks, so I've done that, but how do I get rid of the big overall title such as the "This is Heathrow" in your example? I can't seem to select it to delete.

• 4. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
                the_wine_snob Level 9

In that case, "This Is Heathrow" is on a separate Title.

If you have a Text Box, that is not needed, just use the Selection Tool (arrowhead), and when you see the Bounding Box around the placeholder Text, just Delete.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
                  nealeh Level 5

Is the 'This is Heathrow' equivalent in your video a PRE title or is it embedded in your original source video ?  

If the latter then you will need to:

• cover it with another graphic
                  • or, following Bill's instructions, lay your new title over it to obscure it
                  • or, if you have Photoshop CS4 or better (allows video processing,) you could try using the Content Aware feature to replace the title.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Along the line of Photoshop-Extended, Adobe After Effects has a neat Clone Tool, that functions for Video, almost like the Clone Stamp Tool in PS. Just another option.

If the design of the Video will not be compromised, then the simple Title w/ a Shape, and Text, is an easy fix to cover an existing bug, or Title. I have had to use similar, where the client's camera burned in a date stamp - usually an older VHS camcorder. In those cases, I chose a Shape Fill, that was similar in color/density to the background, and then put the title of the client's video, or perhaps the name of the subject, over that Shape.

In a few cases, I have done that with two discrete Titles, one of the Shape with a Blur, and the second with the Text that overlays that softened Shape.

Good luck, to the OP,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to overlay opaque rectangle with title
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are three steps to create a Blurred Shape Title and then add Text above that with a Text Title:

Title_Shape_01.png

Video with Date Stamp in lower-right

Title_Shape_02.png

Title w/ Shape, and color selected from the background Video via the Eyedropper in the Color Palette in the Titler.

Title_Shape_03.png

A Text Title with "Tim & Jill at the Park," added above the Blurred gray Shape.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt