15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 2:43 PM by Damorek

Can't download a library book to reader.

dlsplayt2 Level 1

I downloaded Adobe Digital Edition to my computer and downloaded a book from the library but I cannot download the book to my Sony reader. I get the following error message when I try to activate the program:

E_AUTH_USERID_INUSE http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept/AddSignInDirect scrapnsew1@yahoo.com urn:uuid:322eeae4-a006-4b8d-8b81-fea5334311ad

I am using Windows 7 64 bit operating system.

Donna

• 1. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
          Sonyprob's12 Level 1

I'm having this same problem but I don't get that error message. My sony reader does not show up on the left hand side of the adobe digital editions window and therefore I can't click and drag my borrowed library ebook to my reader.  I've talked to the online community help technician and he couldn't help me. 

• 2. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
            Jim_Lester Level 4

You are trying to authorize a previously anonymously activated machine with an AdobeID that is already associated with a Adobe DRM ID 'urn:uuid:322eeae4-a006-4b8d-8b81-fea5334311ad'  You can either

- deactivate your machine (Ctrl-Shift-D), but that will lose access to any content on that machine

- create a new AdobeID (that hasn't been used before) - note that there will be no way to merger the two IDs.

• 3. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I have two SONY ereaders, and I had to do two things to make them work with

any other ebook source.

First, I had a question in the setup process when linked to SONY that asked

me if I wanted to get ebooks from other sources.  I believe that the 'yes'

answer to that question prompted the setup program to install a small ID

file on the ereader with my user ID and password.  BTW: I used my Adobe ID

and password to set up an account with SONY, and that makes it easier for

ADE.

Next, I found that SONY had installed the Reader library software on my

computer.  That's important to how the SONY ereader operates.  Make sure

that the Reader library software from SONY has been installed on your

computer.

Just to cover the base, the nominal way to get things going here is to plug

in the ereader to the computer.  Make sure the battery's charged, or you're

running off the AC adapter.  Your computer should recognize the ereader,

and assign it a drive letter.  You can check this with the computer's

utility software - for Windows, it's Windows Explorer (NOT Internet

Explorer).  When you're sure that the ereader is recognized, start ADE.

ADE will look for the device, query it and determine whether it's supported

or not.  [The SONY T1 ereaders 'should' be supported, but I've seen posts

to the blog that indicate there may be a problem here.]  ADE will also look

at that small ID file on the ereader and determine if the ereader has been

recognized before.  If so, you should see it in the bookshelf.  ADE may ask

you to authenticate it first, if it sees some information that's

different from what it expects.

Hope this helps!

============

• 4. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                dlsplayt2 Level 1

Thanks, I will try that.

• 5. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                  Batavia06 Level 1

I have a Nook Color and I have the same problem. I'm supposed to see an icon for the Nook to transfer the book and I don't have the icon.

• 7. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                    rascalinaz Level 1

My computer recognizes my ereader(kindle) immediately and presents the general options (open folder to view files in Windows Explorer), however, cannot get ADE to recognize the ereader so it can give me the instructions to authorize it.  Help info says that ADE will automatically recognize the ereader and guide one through authorization but it does nothing.  I cannot move the borrowed library book from ADE even to my computer, let alone the ereader.  Cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong or why ADE will not recognize the ereader???????? I thought this was going to be so great (being able to transfer the library book to my regular kindle but guess I will have to read it on my PC only

• 8. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

ADE does not support Kindles.

=============

• 9. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                        rascalinaz Level 1

Oh, ok that it doesn't support Kindles.  Why couldn't I transfer the book from ADE to my PC and then to my kindle as I do books from Amazon to my PC then to kindle?  Is there a way to transfer the borrowed library book to my PC?  Thx.

• 10. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Please understand that this whole ebook thing is not uniform.  The

epublishing industry got together and defined a standard format for ebooks

called .epub.  They also decided to recognize that .pdf, .txt and a couple

of other formats are widespread and would be considered also to be standard

file format.  Digital Editions and several other packages follow the

industry standards, while Amazon decided to use a different format for

their Kindles.

You go through the same process to transfer an ebook to your Kindle - you

just get them from the Amazon website and do it directly to the Kindle.

Digital Editions does not recognize the Kindle's operating system, so it

cannot be used to do the transfer.

Libraries may have special Kindle editions of their ebooks.  If they do,

then you should contact the library to find out how to do the transfer to

your Kindle.  If the library has an .epub version of the ebook you want to

read, then you can transfer it to your PC - just ask the library what

procedure to follow.  However, you won't be able to transfer that library

ebook to your Kindle - it is not able to read the .epub format.

Hope this helps!

============

• 11. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                            rascalinaz Level 1

thanks so much for the information

To: rascalinaz <sallyzubyk@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:39 PM

Subject: Can't download a library book to reader.

Re: Can't download a library book to reader. created by Frustrated in AZ in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion

Please understand that this whole ebook thing is not uniform.  The

epublishing industry got together and defined a standard format for ebooks

called .epub.  They also decided to recognize that .pdf, .txt and a couple

of other formats are widespread and would be considered also to be standard

file format.  Digital Editions and several other packages follow the

industry standards, while Amazon decided to use a different format for

their Kindles.

You go through the same process to transfer an ebook to your Kindle - you

just get them from the Amazon website and do it directly to the Kindle.

Digital Editions does not recognize the Kindle's operating system, so it

cannot be used to do the transfer.

Libraries may have special Kindle editions of their ebooks.  If they do,

then you should contact the library to find out how to do the transfer to

your Kindle.  If the library has an .epub version of the ebook you want to

read, then you can transfer it to your PC - just ask the library what

procedure to follow.  However, you won't be able to transfer that library

ebook to your Kindle - it is not able to read the .epub format.

Hope this helps!

============

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4195285#4195285

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4195285#4195285. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Sally Z

• 12. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                              shrekerette2 Level 1

If you have the book showing in the adobe digital editions then you click on the bokka nd drag it to the your device showing on the left hand side.

• 13. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                                anne marie 1958 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I face the same problem with by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.  When I read the instructions on Adobe, it mentioned that my device was supported by ADE. Explanations were given that I only had to download Bluefire for Android on my pad and then authorize to read Adobe documents through my Adobe ID.  However, though my computer recognizes by pad, ADE does not.  Therefore, I  could obtain the document from the library but could not download it to my pad.

Does anyone have a solution?  Should I reinstall the whole thing (Bluefire on my Samsumg Pad and ADE)?  How can I create another Adobe ID if it goes with my E-mail address?????

HELP!!!!

• 14. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm going into territory I haven't been personally, so bear with me.

First, reinstalling software does not mean it will work any differently

than it does right now.  Let's avoid that step unless the software crashes,

which it doesn't do very often.

Putting things into perspective:  Amazon has chosen a different,

non-standard way to implement digital rights management, and has created a

different ebook format than the standard .epub others use [SONY also has

implemented some variations on the standard .epub format].  ADE works with

the standard format, and will not work with Amazon's implementation -

that's also the way Amazon wants it: it keeps Kindle users as a captive

clientele.

Now the venture into unknown territory.  I do this because I have an

extensive computer background, and have seen similar situations before.

The Galaxy Tab shows up on the list of supported devices.  However, the

listing for it shows only that ADE will support an ereader application

installed on it.  That's because the Galaxy is powered by Android software,

and ADE doesn't talk with Android software.  so, the Galaxy Tab will not

show up on the bookshelf of ADE, and you cannot drag and drop ebooks to

it.  You have to do something else.  ADE in this case acts as a transfer

agent that will put ebooks onto your computer in a format that ereader

software on the Galaxy Tab can recognize and work with.  YOU have to do the

transfer outside - and after - ADE has done its thing.

I'll bet that Bluefire will tell you how to add ebooks to a library.  Once

ADE has obtained an ebook and put it into its library, you should be able

to connect the Tab to your computer, fire up Bluefire (pun intended) and

point Bluefire to your ADE library.  Then, you can go and get the ebooks

and put them into your Bluefire library - and away we go!

==============

• 15. Re: Can't download a library book to reader.
                                    Damorek Level 1

I'm having similar problem, I can open epub books but when I have pdf books, I get the same error message. I use Windows 8.

Rita