5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 10:11 AM by Mylenium

16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE

Toomany3 Level 1

Curious how AE (and Premiere for that matter) would act in a server computer environment.  I just got one with dual AMD Opteron 6128 8-core processors (so true 16-cores) with 64GB of ram.

We need it for a server, but as long as I have it, I began to wonder how it work work as a render machine.  It seems like we are rendering 24/7 these days between Premiere, Cinema 4d and After Effects.

Is there any advantage to throwing so many cores and RAM at C4D or AE renders?  The processor itself is a bit slower than our other comptuers, 2.0 Ghz vs 4.0 Ghz.

• 1. Re: 16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

"Speed" is dictated by more than the clock rate... Will your server work for C4D? Sure. Will it improve AE rendering? Probably not so much, depending on what work you actually do. The mere absence of a working OpenGL/ CUDA card could prevent certain effects from rendering at all. And then of course the usual stuff with how and wehn MP rendering goes belly up, footage I/O and all that nonsense... At the end of the day, some standalone workstations used for rendering might be more efficient, at least where AE is concerned. Same for Premiere.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE
            Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks.  I plan on throwing a GTX 480 graphics card in there for CUDA.  That will help for some of the things you mention, right?

Mylenium wrote:

"And then of course the usual stuff with how and wehn MP rendering goes belly up, footage I/O and all that nonsense...

MP means Mercury Playback?  You're saying the "regular" stuff that could happen on a regular desktop ANYWAY?  Just want to be clear that this isn't CAUSED by the server computer, but just the natural biproduct of software/hardware in general?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: 16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE

MP = multiprocessing, and yes, in Premiere that would be Mercury. The thing is that OpenGL and CUDA are not necessarily compatible with MP. Hence plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks would not work at all or fall back to a CPU-only mode just as would specific decoding that uses hardware acceleration. That eats up all your potential gains in rendering speed. In that case, rendering on workstations where such plug-ins can use the local graphics and their whole combined would far outweigh the single server, no matter how powerful. These things need al lto be weighed carefully.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: 16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE
                bogiesan Level 4

As often as this "How do I improve rendering speeds in After Effects?" topic pops up around ehre, are there any third party developers hawking AE-specific rendering systems? I mean an off-the-shelf box that is proven as "Improve your rendering in After Effects by a factor of 1000!"

• 5. Re: 16-Core / 64 GB Ram Server for AE

Probably not. You cannot cure a disease that comes from within by rubbing ointments on your skin and wrapping it with bandages. Any improvement will have to come from AE itself. I'm sure some would be willing to try for the commercial aspect of selling render extensions, but just at the same time everyone knows that it is bound to fail giving AE's quirks and limitations...

Mylenium