6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 12:54 PM by Juori

3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result

Juori

Hi,

I'm trying to stabilize 3D tracked footage with Warp Stabilizer but am consistantly getting bad result. Unstabilized footage looks OK with 3D tracked layers but once I apply Warp Stabilizer the tracked layers get slightly out of place on some frames. Is this a known problem?

Thanks,

J.

• 1. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nothing to fix because nothing is broken. There is no "problem". You are just making a mess by mixing two workflows that don't go together. For all intents and purposes, the whole point of warp stabilizer is to distort the footage based on local clusters, hence it will always run out of alignment. You simply cannot use it in combination with matchmoving. If you want to stabilize your footage, do so by smoothing out the camera motion after the 3D tracking. Everything else is not gonna work.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
            Juori Level 1

Maybe I wasn't clear enough (or I do not understand your answer correctly). Let me clarify: I have my all my 3D tracked layers inside a composition. I then apply warp stabilizer to this comp only. This surely shouldnt mess with the tracked data inside comp, should it?

• 3. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, but the warp stabilizer has no knowledge that they are actually already tracked/ stabilized, hence it wil lstill treat it as a whole which may stil result in local deformations where you don't want them. In fact your 3D matchmoving may have introduced its own counter-motion to compensate, which in turn would trigger stronger deformations when it tries to counter those corrections again.... So more or less, you are trying to combine two incomopatible things. As long as there is no way to tell the warp stabilizer to leave specific parts untouched, this wil lnever work. Therefore focus on fixing whatever issues you have eitehr one way or the other, but not both at the same time...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
                Juori Level 1

Ok, thank you very much for your help!

• 5. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've got two options. 1. Matchmove, render the result, stabilize, render the final product. 2. Stabilize, render the result, matchmove, render the final product. The best workflow depends on the footage and the desired final result. Things to consider are motion blur in the original footage, size of the original footage, dynamics of the shot, masking / roto work, the integration of the CGI into the scene, kind of tracking software you have available, production timeline.

The last tracking/roto/matchmove work that I did I simply stabilized the shot so that there was no movement of the area where I had to insert the CGI. I then added my cgi element, did any masking and layering necessary to sell the shot, then removed the motion from the original shot and applied the stabilization data to the CGI elements and the masks. That was the perfect workflow.

The previous matchmove shot I worked on involved true 3D tracking, using the tracking info to add a matched camera move into the scene. Matched some solids as 3D layers to the scene to use as masks for the CGI elements, then brought my CGI elements into the scene as 3d objects auto oriented to the camera. Different techniques were used because the footage was different, but the effect was exactly the same, it appeared as if the CGI elements were actually in the scene.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 3D tracked footage + warp stabilizer = bad result
                    Juori Level 1

I did some testing today and it seems the best way to go with my footage is to stabilize first, render and then do the camera tracking/matchmoving. Seems to be more stable than the other way around. Also this seems to be the recommended way from the makers of Camera Tracker plugin also. Thanks again for your input!