8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 10:55 AM by groove25

How to remove color palette extension?

Paevo Kelley Level 2

I have been having some color migration issues lately in FW CS3 and have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I had installed a custom color picker extension which I believe to be the culprit. However, after removing the extension when I reinstall FW it somehow reapppears in Window > Others > Color Palette, and the color problems persist. How do I prevent this extension from overriding the default color picker? There must be some cache file or something I can remove...

• 1. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
          groove25 Level 4

What on earth is "color migration"? It sounds interesting...

Also, are you on Mac or Windows? I apologize if this is stupid advice, but have you tried checking inside your Fireworks application folder? I'm on FW8, where command panels are saved inside Configuration > Command Panels. Generally, the application is very responsive to changes in this folder (after a restart). Is this the Color Palette panel with "Selector", "Mixer", and "Blender" modes, or a different color picker extension?

If you really think it's a cache issue, I'd recommend shutting down your computer and then restarting just to clear out the cobwebs—though you must have already done that if you've already tried reinstalling the software?

• 2. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
            Paevo Kelley Level 2

I mean that if I save a file in Illustrator, for example, whose hexidecimal color code is #39d920, when I open it in FW it is #38d91f. I installed the color palette extension from fwkit.com and recall being prompted concerning a file overwrite warning that FW might not work properly, hence my desire to restore to the default. I don't understand why it keeps reappearing even after I uninstalled it and reinstalled FW. I deleted from the Command Panels folder before restarting and it still reappeared...

This is really driving me nuts, because I obviously can't use FW if I have these discrepencies between colors...

• 3. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
              groove25 Level 4

That *is* interesting. Thanks for explaining what you meant by "color migration".

According to this Adobe resource, an earlier version of the Color Palette panel (v.1.2) shipped with CS3—which might explain why it reappears after reinstalling the application. (The one you downloaded from fwkit.com was presumably v.1.25.)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/color_palette_panel.edu.html

A while back, I sought out an earlier version of this panel for use with FW8, but I was disappointed with the functionality and haven't used it much. It's just conjecture on my part, but I don't think the panel would be causing the "color migration" problem, particularly if it's not active in your workspace. I wonder if it's a color management issue. I'm thinking that Fireworks doesn't deal with color profiles, whereas Illustrator does. If an Illustrator file is saved with an ICC profile and then imported into FW, some translation might occur. Try saving the file without an ICC profile before importing to Fireworks, and see if the results are better. Also, have you experimented with sharing color palettes between the two apps? At the very least, this might be a way to fix those "color migration" problems with a minimum of time loss.

Also, don't forget FW's Find panel (accessible through Edit>Find...), which allows you to search and replace colors.

Find panel.png

• 4. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
                groove25 Level 4

Incidentally, I just followed my own advice and tried saving a test file in Illustrator CS2 without the ICC profile, and then opening it in FW8. It's a different workflow, as the results are a bitmap not a vector object (due to the earlier versions, which weren't as well integrated yet), but the results were spot-on: I got the exact hexadecimal color I started out with.

Illustrator options.png

• 5. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
                  Paevo Kelley Level 2

I think I'm going to have to commit myself. Reinstalled FW and the damn fwkit.com color panel is installed again. I tried saving without embedding the ICC profiles, then exporting as .png with the same result. Exporting as a .jpg gave me actually serveral slightly different hexidecimal colors, even though the color is a solid, not a gradient, and no effects have been added!

Anyway, thanks for your help; I'll try a few other things before I give up completely...

• 6. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
                    groove25 Level 4

Try saving a palette from Illustrator and importing it into Fireworks (if that's an option), and see if the hexadecimal colors stay true.

(Also, be sure that your document color mode in Illustrator is RGB and not CMY!)

I wouldn't recommend a JPEG for preserving hexadecimal colors. You're much better off with a native file format like .AI or Fireworks PNG. If those options aren't available, a file format that supports indexed color would be the way to go—that means GIF or PNG-8 (not PNG-24 or PNG-32).

• 7. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
                      Paevo Kelley Level 2

The colors stay true whether I print the screen with their hexidecimal codes or duplicate them in AI and save them with ICC enabled or not and then export to PNG. And the color palette is definitely not at fault. So I am mystified. Maybe the earlier file I used to base the color scheme on is corrupted, I don't know. At any rate I know that my copy of FWCS3 is working fine (though I am still at a loss to explain why the fwkit.com extension installs as the default color palette...)...

• 8. Re: How to remove color palette extension?
                        groove25 Level 4

On a side note, I was playing in Illustrator CS2 yesterday, switching document color modes between RGB and CMYK in order to check the effect on hexadecimal color values. At one point after these experiments, while in RGB mode, I was choosing colors using the Color Picker by clicking on the swatch in the Color panel, and I found that the colors I was choosing in the Color Picker were not rendering correctly when applied to the object. The swatch was showing me one color (usu. darker), and the object another (usu. lighter). I've no idea what was happening there, but  it happened repeatedly. Apparently it *is* possible to mess up color behavior in Illustrator.

As for the Color Palette extension, I don't know... As I mentioned earlier, an earlier version was supposedly included with FW CS3, so I'm not surprised if that version reappears whenever you reinstall the application. Also, come to think of it, I've never reinstalled an Adobe application, as its quite a bother as to whether my preferences and presets, etc. will get erased in the process. Perhaps the reinstall process tries to preserve some of that personalized data? (In which case, it might leave your Command Panels alone? I've no idea; just speculating...)