3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 6:56 AM by chris tequila

Why opening any document freezes for 10 seconds ? A beginning...

chris tequila

Hi all,

I've googled for about 1 hour to determine what could cause this, and finally reverted back to my old geek past, and launched Process Monitor.

I'm not sure why windbg is always the "professional" answer for all problems, assuming that someone somewhere will have the knwoledge to work on those files.

It's usually overkill for common users, like the ones I try to become.

The answer became evident after looking at the results (paths are replaced by ** for security reasons) :

17:18:08,3355214 AcroRd32.exe 3828 CreateFile \\**\**\*.pdf BAD NETWORK PATH Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

17:18:18,0158513 AcroRd32.exe 2704 ReadFile D:\**\**.pdf SUCCESS Offset: 3 092, Length: 2 998

A wait of 10 seconds resulting in a network error, because I'm at home and cannot access shared folder at work !

This is why the application freezes. That's all folk's.

Now the remaining interrogations :

- why accessing the network ? is it because the file is in the Most Recent Used ?

- why CreateFile instead of ReadFile ? an aborted pdf creation still trying to finish it's job (I hope not, this is non-sens for a desktop application)

- how to remove this file from being created

Another strange behavior, before attempting to create the file on the network :

17:17:26,0582115 AcroRd32.exe 3828 QueryOpen D:\xx\yy\UNC\**\**\*.pdf PATH NOT FOUND

This is really strange, my only guess is that D:\xx\yy was the folder from which I had opened the PDF I wanted to read.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Christian

PS : Please excuse my poor english, but this is not my native langage, and even if I read a lot, I quite never write or speak.

• 1. Re: Why opening any document freezes for 10 seconds ? A beginning...
          darren_st Level 1

Christian,

Very interesting. Does this happen with all PDF files that you try to open?

My first thought is that it could have something to do with Protected Mode but I don't know enough about how Protected Mode works.

Someone posted earlier about their Adobe Reader freezing up when viewing a file. It froze up after about 10 seconds and could only be closed by terminating the process, possibly the same issue?

Darren.

• 2. Re: Why opening any document freezes for 10 seconds ? A beginning...
            Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Please let us know the version of Adobe Reader installed on your system and the OS that you are working on.

Is your application data folder redirected to a network share? You can check the same by checking the values of the following registry key(s):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders (Check the values of the keys: AppData, Local AppData, Local Settings etc)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (Check the values of the keys: AppData, Local AppData, Local Settings etc)

Thanks

Ankit

• 3. Re: Why opening any document freezes for 10 seconds ? A beginning...
              chris tequila Level 1

Hi,

OS : Windows Seven 64 bits, Ultimate Edition (MSDN Version)

Adobe Reader X 10.1.2 (no update available when I click on "Rechercher les mises-à-jour" (english ~ find updates...)

And I confirm that all keys are on

- Shell Folders : C:\ except 3 on D:\

- User Shell Folders : %USERPROFILE% except 3 on D:\

My USERPROFILE points to C:\Users\Christian

There is no corporate configuration on my laptop, and the \\**\ server I was talking about is used for documents sharing for one of our project, nothing to do with corporate shared folders or anyting else. The sharing is done on ubuntu latest version, with samba.

I'm still thinking that maybe the MRU list is a good start.

If not, I'll try to explain the story behind the file :

The pdf file on the shared folder was generated via the convert utiliity on linux. I was trying to find the good options to use, so I generated about 30 times perhaps this file, with the same name. It is possible that one the generated didn't opened, and maybe reader X remembered that ? or maybe it was too long to open, and I had to kill the process ? I don't remember exactly.

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Christian