2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 2:26 PM by jkcraig2

Characters -ep in project name prevent AE from opening via command-line?

jkcraig2

We have run into an issue where we can not launch CS5.5 afterfx.exe from the command-line when the project filename has "-ep" in the name.  This also happens with aerender.exe on our farm where it just locks up.

I have submitted a bug report for this but would like to know if it is just some quirk of our setup.

Could anyone please do me the favor of trying to reproduce this error?

It is very simple to reproduce. The project does not have to exist to verify the error. Open a command prompt and try to run the following:

(path to your after effects)\afterfx.exe "c:\x-ep.aep"

If it does NOT present a dialog that says "After Effects warning: Project file c:\x-ep.aep doesn't exist"  then you are also experiencing the error.

If you do get the dialog then your AE is behaving normally and it may just be our setup.

Expected result:

Open after effects and load the project if it exists - or - if the project does not exist it should open after effects and display a dialog "After Effects warning: Project file c:\x-ep.aep doesn't exist"

My result:

On the machines that I have tried to open a project named "c:\x-ep.aep" it opens after effects to "Untitled Project.aep" and does not load the project.  If the project does not exist it also does NOT display a dialog "After Effects warning: Project file c:\x-ep.aep doesn't exist"

It will open from the file menu inside after effects fine, just not from the command line.  I recall running into this on previous versions of AE but never figured out what was going on until now.

I am on Win7. Please let me know what OS you were on in case its related, thanks.

- Jon Craig

Message was edited by: joncraig