13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 12:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Total newbie trying to make animation from still images

EricJoseph69

Hi

I'm new to the forum.  I have been making animations in poser and am looking into using premier elements 10 to create my movies.  I have downloaded the trial version.  I've imported 120 still frames rendered in poser and I'm trying to run them as an animation at 24fps.  I've been playing around with this software for over an hour but unfortunately still have no idea how to even start attempting this.  I've done some google searches and search on this forum but have not been able to get the advice I'm looking for.  Would be greatful if anyone could give me a helping hand with getting started on this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you ultimately plan to output this movie as? A DVD? A BluRay? for the web? For YouTube?

You really have to start at the end to get to the beginning with a project like this, so be specific.

Meantime, make sure any stills you use in the program are no larger than 1000x750. In fact, 640x480 might be even better, depending on what your final output will be.

• 2. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
            EricJoseph69 Level 1

Thanks for your posts.  I really apriciate you both taking them time to help me out.  I was really hoping to create my movies in best possible quality for now.  My pictures a pretty big at 1920 x 1080 png files.  Adobe premier was recomended to me by someone on Rendosity (3D animation forum) who said he uses frames of this size in this format to good effect and with a video link to prove it.  I've just tried rendering my 120 frames but they play back really slowely and the preview is of low resolution.  Sorry if I'm totaly missing the missing point.  Any further advice would be much appriciated. 

• 3. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please answer the questions in my first post, Eric. Without knowing where you're going with all this, we can only give you general and possibly confusing answers.

• 4. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, in the case of Still Images only, the delivery format/scheme will dictate how you set up your Project, and also the dimensions, that you Scale (or Export from Poser to) your Images to.

If you are looking at streaming, or producing a BD (Blu-ray Disc), then definitely set up an HD Project, at 1920 x 1080, with a standard Frame Rate. BTW - are you in NTSC-land, or PAL-land, as that will determine whether you go with a 29.97, or 25 FPS Project?

If you do go HD 1920 x 1080, that would be the ideal dimensions to Scale, or Export to.

Also note that PrE will basically be creating Video from Still Images, so when you place those Stills onto the Timeline, you will have a red line above them, and for smoothest playback, will want to Render, by hitting the Enter/Return key. The red line will turn green.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                  EricJoseph69 Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I'm not really sure where I'm going to output this to honest but for auguments sake I'll say it's for HD Blue Ray as I want the movie in best quality.  I'm in the UK which is PAL.  I have inported the frames into preview but there playing at about 6 seconds per frame and I'm so clueless with this software that I don't know how to change it so that they all drop in at a high frame rate. 

• 6. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

For HD output to BD, I would choose an HDV PAL Project.

Now, when it comes to the Duration of Imported Still Images, you will FIRST want to go to Edit Preferences, and adjust Still Duration (do not forget to readjust, after Import, or Titles will also be at that Duration), and probably set it to 1 Frame. Depending on the "look" that you want, you might find that 3 - 5 Frames is better, but for "smoother" display, the 1 Frame will be the choice - experiment, to get your "look." For Stop-Motion, I normally go with 3 Frames, but then it depends on the frequency of the Stills, and then again, the "look" that I want.

In your case, just Delete those Imported Stills from the Project Panel, set Edit>Preferences>Still Duration, and re-Import them. I'd do this with a handful, and then Render, and playback. If that is not the "look," then Delete and reset Still Duration to maybe 3, and repeat. Study closely.

Often, I will use 3 - 5 Frames, and then adjust the Transition Duration (Edit>Preferences again), and put a very short Cross-Dissolve between the short Clips. Note: I changed the name from Still Images to Clips, as that is the most common name, when they are on the Timeline.

Do not hesitate to test, over and over, with just a handful of Images, until you have exactly what you want.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is sort of a PS, but if you are buying, I can meet you at The Eagle and Baby pub in Oxford, in April, with my laptop. Unfortunately, I am from "across the Pond," so on NTSC.

Now, Neale says that he'll meet you there, AND he'll buy! Also, he's in PAL-land... Also, you do not have to wait until April.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                        nealeh Level 5

Eric,

If you follow the earlier link I posted the discussion included screen shots of what you needed to complete and how to calculate the time per frame necessary to produce your target run time.

Bill,

Bill Hunt wrote:

This is sort of a PS, but if you are buying, I can meet you at The Eagle and Baby pub in Oxford, in April, with my laptop. Unfortunately, I am from "across the Pond," so on NTSC.

This one I take it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_and_Child

Bill Hunt wrote:

Now, Neale says that he'll meet you there, AND he'll buy! Also, he's in PAL-land... Also, you do not have to wait until April.

That was only going to happen when you won the lottery and bought me the entire Adobe product line from your winnings (would need to be a big win !) 

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                          EricJoseph69 Level 1

I've followed the instructions and taken a second look at the link and have now managed to get it working so thinks very much to all who have taken the time to respond to my post.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the trial version may have limited functionality.  For example the editing mode comes up as DV PAL and is grayed out so I can't choose anything else.  Time base is locked at 25fps.  Also when I render my final result in share the only format I can create the video in is f4v.

I know this is another question and I apolagize if I should be starting this on another thread but could any advise if these options are restricted due to being on trial version or is there likely to be some other reason? 

• 10. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

The only thing that I could find on limitations of trial versions of PrE, was for version 9. There has to be more info on PrE 10, but it has eluded me.

Here's the Limitation list for PrE 9:

PrE9_Limitations.png

Maybe others can tell us both, exactly what is disabled in PrE 10.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                              nealeh Level 5

Nothing. From the download page:

Thank you for your interest in evaluating Adobe® Premiere® Elements 10 software. The trial version is fully functional and offers every feature of the product for you to test-drive*. Once your download is complete, you'll have the option to download a full set of moviemaking content and templates to use with your trial software.

The asterisk referenced that Plus membership is not available to the trial version.

The watermarked output still applies.

Eric, what project setting did you use when you started the project ?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                                EricJoseph69 Level 1

Oh I get it now.  I chose the HD project option as I'm opening up a new project.  Not once in the project.  I've just rendered a test vid in HD and the diference in quality is very noticable.  I think I'm at a fairly good point where I can get started now so I'm going to mark this question as answared but I'm sure I'll be back with some other issue soon.  You've all been really helpful and I really apreciate it and if I were ever to see any of you at the Eagle and Child (as unlikely as that is as don't don't live near that part of the country) I would happily ablige you with a drink.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Total newbie trying to make animation from still images
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, great news! Glad that you got it sorted.

Tell you what, I'll hoist a pint in your honor (or should that be honour?) in April.

Happy editing,

Hunt