4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 3:27 PM by jbakker77

How to avoid letterboxing & pillars in output of slide show as wmv movie in Premiere El 10?

jbakker77

I have created a slide show with both stills (using pan and zoom) and videos. Both in the Preview monitor in Premiere and in the exported movie I get letterboxes and pillars (black lines top and bottom, and on the sides). I know there is a lot going oh here, but here are a few relevant details.

Premiere 10 - (64-bit)

Running Win 7 Home Premium

Still images have various aspect ratios, but mostly I tried to keep to 1000x750 pixels for 4:3 aspect ratio

Videos are 320x240

Output is to WMV (720p HD movie) - this is the only choice for a WMV movie and I cannot find ANY output that matches the 320x240 format of the videos.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

This is my first post in the forum. I did search the previous discussions, as I'm sure this has been discussed befor, but found nothing.

Please forgive if I'm in the wrong poace or any other stuff like that.

Thank you

• 1. Re: How to avoid letterboxing & pillars in output of slide show as wmv movie in Premiere El 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The 720p output is 1280x720 -- that's 16:9. While your slideshow and project is apparently 4:3. (If not, which settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?) If you output a 4:3 project as 16:9, you'll have black framing along the sides and possibly top and bottom to fill the extra space.

BTW, are you really putting 320x240 videos into a project and then outputting it as 1280x720? That's going to look awful! All blurry and over-rezzed.

What are you trying to output? Video for the web? for YouTube? to play on a computer?

There is probably a much more efficient workflow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to avoid letterboxing & pillars in output of slide show as wmv movie in Premiere El 10?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If you wish to Share (Export) to the Frame Size of the Video, 320 x 240, you will want to go to the Advanced Button in the WMV settings screen, and then in the Video Tab, set the Frame Size. In your WMV drop-down, you should have DSL Modem, and that will keep the bit-rate up.

Now, I think that we need to step back a bit, and determine two things:

What is the Project Preset, that you chose at New Project?

What is the desired Frame Size that you wish to output to?

That 320 x 240 footage is small, and as PrE does not have Custom Presets, you will most likely want a DV Project (720 x 480 for NTSC), and then Scale to Default Frame Size, but the quality of the video will loose qualtiy.

It might be easier to use WMM, if you are using the 320 x 240 footage, do not want to loose quality, and will need to Export to WMV 320 x 240.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to avoid letterboxing & pillars in output of slide show as wmv movie in Premiere El 10?
              jbakker77 Level 1

Thank you both for your replies - very helpful.

This was/is an attempt to put together a demo for a project, to be shown on a computer. - by someone who obviously did not know what he was doing, namely, me.

Can you tell it was my first attempt?

Yes, the preset was DV 48kHz, which is apparently 4:3, right?

The tiny video is what I was given to work with (from VideoBlocks) Maybe not a good idea to even try. The still images were various sizes and I resized them to 1000x750, on a recommendation from someone on how to get good 4:3 resolution. So that was not such a good idea either.

Since then, I have tried a couple of experiments.

BUT, I just tried a new video with images resized in Photoshop to 1280x720, with the preset at DV widescreen and output at 720p HD. Hey - it is almost a success. The letterboxes and pillars are negligible - about 1/8 of an inch.  Thank you both so much.

So would you insist on higher quality video to work with?  I have until next Wednesday. Lots of time. Sounds like there is not much hope for using the 320x240 video.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and patience.

• 4. Re: How to avoid letterboxing & pillars in output of slide show as wmv movie in Premiere El 10?
                jbakker77 Level 1

Thanks again, Steve. Very helpful.Now that I have tried what you suggested (It Worked!) I think I should have said Correct Answer instead of Helpful. Can I change this?

One more question. If I have small still images from the web (400x266), large images of my own, and these small videos (320x240), is it possible to combine them in one video and get decent quality and no letterboxing/pillars? Or would it be better not to try combining them? Again the output will be to a computer to show someone for approval for a project. I may try making the output compatible with an android tablet if it appears that that would satisfy some of the quality issues?