6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 4:27 PM by Joel Cherney

Paragraph Alignment Issues

camaronick5

Okay I am a novice when it comes to using Indesign and am putting together a lengthy document that requires paragraph headers.

Im having some trouble adjusting the headers seperate from the body of the paragraph. The headers do not appear at the begining of every paragraph so I have been attempting to change the headers manually. My issue is with their alignment, I want my headers Align Left with the body Justified. When I change one line the alignment effects the whole paragraph. The only solution I can come up with is a hard return and then adjust the leading back to make the text tight again.

Any help is greatly appericated.

• 1. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A screen shot would help. Use the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

It sounds though like your headers are not separate paragraphs, and they probably do need to be in order to do waht you are asking.

• 2. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues
            camaronick5 Level 1

Id love to send you a screen shot but the text is for a legal document for a financial institution so ill just try and explain it here. The text reads like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc est augue, sagittis eu faucibus ut, euismod quis lectus. Mauris feugiat tellus id nulla eleifend elementum cursus tellus dignissim. Mauris eget mi lorem. Sed suscipit molestie mattis. Nam ac lectus quam. Aliquam dolor tortor, tincidunt ut tempor in, ultrices id ligula. Pellentesque tincidunt magna ut augue malesuada blandit. Nulla facilisi. Integer sed ligula vitae magna gravida consectetur. 

Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Sed ultricies, massa sed feugiat tempus, quam quam tempor felis, id consectetur sapien nulla quis dolor. Donec interdum gravida libero, in tempor justo egestas sed. Mauris sit amet elit in tellus faucibus aliquam eu sit amet diam. Aliquam vitae purus tellus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Cras varius justo id sem laoreet in venenatis velit gravida. Cras elit magna, sodales at scelerisque ac, molestie quis erat. Quisque aliquam, arcu nec tincidunt vulputate, neque enim adipiscing lacus, id posuere purus nibh vitae purus.

Proin dignissim bibendum risus in fringilla.

Ut justo justo, elementum varius auctor non, eleifend quis ante. Cras bibendum ullamcorper turpis, vitae feugiat purus ornare ac. Nam non purus a purus porta tempor. Sed convallis vehicula elit pretium vehicula. Morbi rhoncus placerat nisl, nec lobortis ligula rutrum id. Phasellus rhoncus metus fringilla elit dictum ultricies. Nulla a eros quis diam suscipit sodales eu ullamcorper lorem. Praesent aliquam urna et odio auctor hendrerit. Mauris rutrum erat id nibh aliquet et volutpat ante semper. Proin ultricies erat ac velit porta elementum consectetur et ante. Maecenas et dui eget enim vulputate scelerisque non quis orci. Vivamus pharetra blandit sapien a pharetra. Nulla eget magna vitae tortor imperdiet fringilla.

I placed the text from a word file and cannot get the headers of the paragraphs to align themselves to the left without it pulling the entire paragraph over. Hopefully this description helps

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues

Is there a hard return (paragraph break), or a soft return (forced line break) after what you call the header?

The only way this is going to work is if the headers are separate paragraphs and have their own paragraph style.

• 4. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In order to see what Peter is talking about, you can turn on all of the view settings to see what is going on:

View -> Screen Mode -> Normal

Type -> Show Hidden Characters

Now, you'll be able to see if  "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet." is in the same paragraph as "consectetur adipiscing elit."

In this screenshot, they're in the same paragraph:

same.png

In this one, they're in two separate paragraphs, which is what you want:

diff.png

• 5. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues

Thanks, Joel.

I'm in a rotten mood today for some reason, and it's coming through in my posts and lack of full explanations.

• 6. Re: Paragraph Alignment Issues
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No thanks are necessary, Peter. Besides, you're obviously making up for it in volume.