5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 4:13 PM by SRBDRB

Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab

SRBDRB

I have been able to get my ade drm ebooks on my Acer Tab in LumiRead but when I try to open the ebook it states I need to "activate my device". I activated it when I first bought the tablet in May. I've tried to reactivate it but I get the error E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY. I asked a tech in Adobe chat but they told me its a technical issue. Have any of you come across this and if so what did you do? I also called Acer and they had no idea but told me I may need to reboot my Acer back to factory settings. I'll do it if I have to but does anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Acer is passing the buck.  If your registration with Acer went through

properly, then they can look up your unit and see what information was put

back on the A500.  Adobe isn't going to know anything more than that ADE

cannot read the key.

Do NOT bother to uninstall ADE - it won't do anything to help.

===============

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab
            SRBDRB Level 1

Thank you for replying. I contacted Acer again and they said my "subscription" or activation expired? I asked then why do I get an error when I try to reactivate with Adobe. They stated I needed to contact Adobe again as its an Adobe technical issue! I just keep getting passed from Acer to Abobe and back again with no end in site. Fortunately I only have a few ADE DRM ebooks but its frustrating not being able to open and read them on my tablet. I appreciated you trying to help me tho.

• 3. Re: Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Acer - Adobe - Acer - Adobe.....  Sounds more like a ping-pong match.  I

have one other suggestion.

Try doing this: check you tablet for its time, date AND time zone

settings.  Make sure that they are within five minutes of the correct local

time in your time zone - and, of course, on the same day.  Also check your

computer's time, date and time zone settings.  If one or the other are off,

then it may cause a false expiration.

Hope this helps!

============

• 4. Re: Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab
                Jim_Lester Level 4

The BAD_DEVICE_KEY sounds like the setup is wrong.  I don't know about the ACER, but in most other ones you need to look for a .adobe-digital-editions folder (note the . in front which may make it a hidden folder...)

If you find it there will be a device.xml and maybe an activation.xml.  Delete the folder, reboot the tablet and see what happens.    Alternatively Acer should have instructions for a factory reset - but that's a bit drastic, and you will lose all your settings for all of your apps.

Good Luck.

• 5. Re: Can't open ade ebooks on Acer A500 Iconia Tab
                  SRBDRB Level 1

Thanks for all the help! I finally found a solution and not from Adobe or Acer. It was due to helpful people like you all. I went to settings, apps, LumiRead and then clicked on clear all data. This removed the old activation info so I was able to reactivate my Acer without having to do a factory reset since I couldn't uninstall and reinstall LumiRead. I wonder why the Acer techs didn't tell me to do that?! Now I'm able to read my ADE DRM ebooks on my tablet. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to reply to my questions and help me think this through.