9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 8:57 AM by Peter Spier

Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template

Paul R Stark Level 1

Hi everyone.

I purchased this template and have not been able to get ANY image to relink or place correctly in ANY frame. It seems to just capture the center of the image, but in other frames it cuts of top or bottom, etc.

This is a mess and I'm losing days of production on this project. +/- 20 email exchanges with the author have not yet found a solution.

Any idea what's wrong? I want to believe I'm missing something because this template has sold about 250 on graphicriver. I'm not real experienced with ID CS4, but have 2 years experience with PP, AE, and PS and have produced a couple ID to PDF documents without problema.

Thanks, everyone.

Paul

• 1. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Pretty hard to know without seeing the template and the images, but it sounds like you just have a fitting problem. You have a choice inthe prefs to preserve the image dimensions, or the image scale, when relinking. Since your ne images are probaly not the same size and sahpe as the ones used inthe template, neither of those is likely to be perfect, but I'm going to go out on a limb and subbest you start with preserving image dimensions, which might get more of the image into the frame, then you'll have to adjust the image size and cropping to suit.

• 2. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template
            Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, Peter. I’d say you’re right: the images are not fitting the template frames at all.

I already have the File Handling Preference checked for “Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking”. However, I am not aware of a separate “image scale” option in CS4, unless you were just restating what image dimensions really mean.

With these frames, once I get the image into the frame, I can’t do any cropping, only scaling, which doesn’t help. I can’t “Arrange” to front—doesn’t’ work.

BTW, there are no images that show up—just the frames. They supposedly show up in CS5, but there’s nothing there is CS4.

Thanks for your reply.

• 3. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template

If you uncheck the preserve dimensions box you get preserve scale. The difference is when you preseve dimensions, the size on the page is preserved, regardless of the size of the image, so you will be scaling the new image to the old dimensions. When you preserve scale, if you used an image at 39%, the relinked image will also be at 39%, whatever dimensions that makes it.

Since you don't have an image already by the sound of things there's nothing to preserve, so you might want to selct the frame and go  to the fitting options and choose Fill Frame Proportionally to fill the frame with the minimum cropping required to have the frame completley filled without distorting the image. You can then repotrion the image in the frame to change waht is being cropped off, or scale the image a bit larger to crop more without changing the frame shape, or you can do anything you want as far as scaling ad cropping if you don't mind changing the frame.

If you aren't able to adjust the frames, they may be locked, or they may be on master pages and won't be selectable on the document pages until you place content into them unless you override them.

• 4. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template
                Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, Peter. You're helping a lot.

Firstly, I have to relink an image before attempting to change the fitting options since they are grayed out. Once the new image comes in with the File Handling Preference checked for “Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking”, I can then alter the fitting options, but I'm not getting good results.

Firstly, the images are large, so I'm trying to fit them to the frame by reducing, not increasing the size. Secondly, once the image is in the frame, I can't resize it or move it without the entire frame moving. Maybe your idea to override the frame settings before relinking the image would work? If so, how do I override them?

Thx.

P.S. I've had a zillion email exchanges with the author. He took one of my images into PS, said he did some cloning, and sent me back the page with a properly positioned image in the slanted frame. I dont' get it!

• 5. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template

If the whole frame is moving, you have the frame selected. In CS4, use the Direct Select tool (white arrow) to select the image itself (cursor should change to a hand when you hover over the image), or you can double-click the frame with the Selection tool (black arrow) to switch to the Direct Select and select the image in one step. In CS5/5.5 you can use the Selection tool and the Content Grabber (donut shape in the middle of the frame) if it's active, or use the same techniqus from CS4.

• 6. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template
                    Paul R Stark Level 1

Peter,

I think that's good enough to solve my issue. Now being able to move and resize the image within the frame with the Direct Select tool creates lots of options.

Thanks for being such a willing, helpful soul.

Paul

P.S. I'm saving my pennies for CS5.5, but by the time I've got enough, we'll probably be raving about CS6

• 7. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template

Paul, do you have any good reference texts? Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide to InDesign is the most recoomended beginner's book I know, and my favorite for the more advanced user is Real World InDesign by David Blatner et al.

• 8. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template
                        Paul R Stark Level 1

No, mostly because I have spent the last two years learning PP, AE, and PS in producing a DVD curriculum. Now that it's time for the workbook, learning InDesign becomes my next challenge.

Thanks for the reference text recommendations. But with all the online video resources today, e.g., lynda.com, Adobe TV, etc., are they not sufficient or are the texts really that much better?

Thx.

• 9. Re: Trouble Relinking and/or Placing with GraphicRiver Template

I like books. I'm old, so I was brought up on them, and they keep me in business.