7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 5:06 AM by BKBK

cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons

pmlink360

Hello, I have a page where a user can select a project, via a checkbox then select a radio buttion with the following options "Support, Oppose, Not Known". The form fields are dynamically generated, can be anywhere from 1 to many. here is a screenshot:

project.jpg

A user has to at least select 1 but can select many. The checkbox names are dynamically generated and follow this naming convention:

f_project_1

f_project_2

the radio buttons are named similar:

f_support_1

f_support_2

So, on my submit page I need to loop through each of these and insert into my database. before I just had a select box with projects(no support, oppose stuff) and I used the following code and it worked great.

<CFLOOP INDEX="projectlist" LIST="#Form.f_project#">

<cfoutput>

<CFQUERY  datasource="#datasource#" name="insertproject">

INSERT into contactrecord_project

(contactrecord_project_id,

contactrecord_project_nm,

project_support)

Values ('#newid#','#projectlist#',)

</CFQUERY>

</cfoutput>

</CFLOOP>

I'm just brain dead today, can someone please help me out with looping over the list and getting it inserted into my database

• 1. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
          BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

<cfdump var="#form#">

<cfform>

Proj 1: <cfinput name="f_project_1" type="checkbox">||

Support 1: <cfinput name="f_support_1" type="radio" value="support11">|

Support 1: <cfinput name="f_support_1" type="radio" value="support12">|

Support 1: <cfinput name="f_support_1" type="radio" value="support13" checked="yes">|

<br>

Proj 2: <cfinput name="f_project_2" type="checkbox">||

Support 2: <cfinput name="f_support_2" type="radio" value="support21">|

Support 2: <cfinput name="f_support_2" type="radio" value="support22">|

Support 2: <cfinput name="f_support_2" type="radio" value="support23" checked="yes">|

<br>

Proj 3: <cfinput name="f_project_3" type="checkbox">||

Support 3: <cfinput name="f_support_3" type="radio" value="support31">|

Support 3: <cfinput name="f_support_3" type="radio" value="support32">|

Support 3: <cfinput name="f_support_3" type="radio" value="support33" checked="yes">|

<br>

<cfinput name="sbmt" type="submit" value="send">   

</cfform>

<cfloop from="1" to="6" index="idx">

<cfset projectName = "f_project_" & idx>

<!--- Do something (for example, an insert) only if a project is selected on the form. Otherwise, do nothing. --->

<!--- Note: Checked radio buttons return value, however checked checkboxes only return "ON" --->

<cfif structKeyExists(form,"#projectName#")>

Your insert query goes here. The values to insert are: <br>

<cfoutput>Project name: #projectName#; Support: #form["f_support_" & idx]#</cfoutput><br>

</cfif>

</cfloop>

• 2. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
            pmlink360 Level 1

Hey BKBK.....How can I get only the number into the projectname variable? Right now it is inserting "f_project_1" for example....I just want "1"

Thanks.

• 3. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
              Dan Bracuk Level 5

BKBK's answer gave you the value of the formfield.  If you run this code:

<cfdump var = "#form.f_project_1#">

what do you see?

• 4. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
                pmlink360 Level 1

Hi Dan, Here is my code for  the dynamic creation of the checkboxes & radio buttons

<cfloop query="getprojects">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input type="checkbox" name="f_project_#project_name_id#" value="#project_name_id#" id="f_project_#project_name_id#"  onClick="javascript:enableField_#project_name_id#()">#project_name#</td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="1" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" disabled></td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="0" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" disabled></td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="2" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" checked disabled></td>

</tr>

</td></tr>

</cfloop>

So If I dump the form variable f_project_1 it = 1

BKBK's code does not appear to me to use the value created from the form(I did not provide that code when I first created this thread)....he sets it with   <cfset projectName = "f_project_" & idx>

Thanks for any assitance you can provide.

• 5. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
                  BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

pmlink360 wrote:

Hey BKBK.....How can I get only the number into the projectname variable? Right now it is inserting "f_project_1" for example....I just want "1"

pmlink360 wrote:

Hi Dan, Here is my code for  the dynamic creation of the checkboxes & radio buttons

<cfloop query="getprojects">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input type="checkbox" name="f_project_#project_name_id#" value="#project_name_id#" id="f_project_#project_name_id#"  onClick="javascript:enableField_#project_name_id#()">#project_name#</ td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="1" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" disabled></td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="0" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" disabled></td>

<td bgcolor="##CCCCCC"><input name="f_support_#project_name_id#" type="radio" value="2" id="f_support_#project_name_id#" checked disabled></td>

</tr>

</td></tr>

</cfloop>

So If I dump the form variable f_project_1 it = 1

BKBK's code does not appear to me to use the value created from the form(I did not provide that code when I first created this thread)....he sets it with   <cfset projectName = "f_project_" & idx>

I assumed the project names to be f_project_1, f_project_2, and so on. That is what your "naming convention" said.

In any case, your code appears to have done most of the work already. My suggestion should now read:

<cfloop from="1" to="6" index="idx">

<cfset projectName = "f_project_" & idx>

<!--- Do something (for example, an insert) only if a project is selected on the form. Otherwise, do nothing. --->

<cfif structKeyExists(form,"#projectName#")>

Your insert query goes here. The values to insert are: <br>

<cfoutput>

Project ID: #idx#;

Support: #form["f_support_" & idx]#

</cfoutput><br>

</cfif>

</cfloop>

• 6. Re: cfloop over dynamically generated check boxes and radio buttons
                    pmlink360 Level 1

Thanks BKBK...that did it....I appreciate you getting back to me.