4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 6:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Overscan and Safe Margins. Again

sp101010

Hi All,

I need to reduce the size of captured footage so it fits within the Safe Margins.

The footage is captured Powerpoint slides which is captured into a BMD PAL sequence.

The powerpoints are created by others and can't be editied to make them fit within the safe margins.

If i attempt to use Effect Controls>Scale the image turns blurry and unreadable as some font sizes used are too small.

If i burn with the slides and footage at captured size, it falls outside the safe margins and gets cropped when played on some TV's.

I've posted before about this problem but not fully resolved it. The crux of the problem is trying to find a way to scale down footage without it becoming lesser quality.

Any ideas?

SP

• 1. Re: Overscan and Safe Margins. Again
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't decrease the size of the overall image without also decreasing the size of everything in that image, including text.

Explain to your client the only way to achieve the stated goal here is to rebuild the slides keeping safe margins in mind.

It's a very common problem that is best address by Microsoft adding a "Video Safe" feature in PowerPoint, where the user is simply not allowed to place anything outside title safe but a background.  (But good luck getting that to happen.)

• 2. Re: Overscan and Safe Margins. Again
            sp101010 Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I'm not worried about reducing the size of the image, thats fine.

My problem is when i do (using Effect Controls>Scale), the image for some reason blurs really badly. The slighest change in scale immediately changes a nice sharp image to blurry. This is when i am viewing the Program output, as well as when it burns to DVD.

Is there anyway to reduce the footage size (zoom it, scale it, whatever the terminology shoudl be) to get it to fit into the safe margins?

SP

• 3. Re: Overscan and Safe Margins. Again