5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 8:41 PM by Toomany3

Render Machine

Toomany3 Level 1

I've got a monster computer (16 real cores, 64GB ram) that I want to set up as a dedicated render machine.  There are several computers that have access to the same Premiere projects via a NAS gigabit network.  For the time being, please ignore the issues of sharing PR files on a network.  We have a solution to it that works great, but I know when I say network, people sometimes cling onto that instead of the question.

The question, then? 

While working on computer A, if I have a locked-down, render-heavy nested sequence I'd just rather render it out as a DNxHD and place it back in my timeline so I can get realtime playback and a faster final render (I don't want to use Premiere previews, long story).  Often these renders can take 9 hours, so rendering it out as the project progresses saves us lots of time on the final master render.  (Similar to how a high-res proxy would work in After Effects).

Then if computer B has something it needs to render, instead of processing it on its 4 cores and 12 GB of ram, why not send it over to the render machine to do its dirty work for him?  That way computers A and B can both be working on other things while the rendering machine spits out the final DNxHD .MOV for them in the background. 

Once those rendered .MOV files are spit out of the render machine, I'd drop that file into my project, no down time.

I played around with Media Encoder 5.5 and thought that was the perfect solution.  You drop a file in a watch folder and AME does an EXCELLENT job automatically throwing it into the queue and rendering it with your predetermined settings.  Marvelous!  Really, it's awesome! 

But the roadblock..... it doesn't work with Premiere (or AE) sequences, from what I can tell.  BUMMMMMER!   It only works with files that are already rendered.  (So just audio and video files).  Please correct me if I'm wrong with my conclusions.  Hopefully I am.

So, if AME can't handle something like this (yet?), is there another way I can go about doing what I described above in an automatic way? Is there another way BESIDES physically opening up the project on the render machine and sending it to AME from there? 

I would really like to lock up my poor render slave in a closet somewhere and not have to treat it like a desktop.  I would like it to just do its just, just like the AME watch folders do theirs.