4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 1:15 AM by Eugene Tyson

A4 exporting problem

inquestflash Level 1

hello forumers,SOS!!!

i happen to be in australia and from indesign i exported my document as a pdf print.i was sure i had my document to A4

so when i went to the printer he told me that the pdf default from my pc converts it to american standards whic is different from here australia.

so where can i go and change the defaults in my pdf settings?

thank you.

• 1. Re: A4 exporting problem
          John Hawkinson Level 5

File > Export to PDF should use your document page size settings. Is that how you're making your PDF?

Open the PDF file in Acrobat (reader is fine) and hit Cmd/Ctrl-D and check Document Properties > Description: Page Size to be sure.

• 2. Re: A4 exporting problem
            inquestflash Level 1

hi john.

yes i opedned up the pdf and its in inches allthough my settings in indesign were millimeters but the A4 size was set to american standards
            On the pdf its 8,50inches by 11inches.so is there wa way to convert all the document in indesign with out needing to go to every single

page and resizing everything from text and images making it A4 210mm x 297mm like the actual A4.

im changing the document settings and the pages shrink ofcourse but the text and images stay the same and all hell breaks loose.does this mean i have to position everything again?

or just fix the pdf page how it converts it?

• 3. Re: A4 exporting problem
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Sorry, inquestflash, this is really hard to understand your English.

yes i opedned up the pdf and its in inches allthough my settings in indesign were millimeters but the A4 size was set to american standards
              On the pdf its 8,50inches by 11inches.so is there wa way to convert all the document in indesign with out needing to go to every single page and resizing everything from text and images making it A4 210mm x 297mm like the actual A4.

Please try to use full sentences.

Whether the values are displayed in inches or in millimeters makes no difference. The question is what those values are.

For instance, if you want A4, 8.5 inches by 11 inches is not OK, but 8.27 inches by 11.69 inches is fine.

im changing the document settings and the pages shrink ofcourse but the text and images stay the same and all hell breaks loose.does this mean i have to position everything again?

Do you mean in InDesign? Does Document Setup show your page size is letter (8.5x11) and not A4?

it is possible to have InDesign fix some of these problems with Layout Adjustment, but it really depends on what your pages look like. If you have a single text frame on each page snapped to the outer margins, then it is easy. If you have images placed in various locations on the page that are not inline or anchored, then the problem is much more difficult. What is your layout like?

InDesign cannot read your mind, of course...

• 4. Re: A4 exporting problem
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the Australian dimensions for A4?

Go to File>Document Setup and set the dimensions there.

Go through each page and make sure it's all ok.

File>Export PDF and you should be set.

1 person found this helpful