3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2012 12:38 PM by AlphaDoug RSS

LR4 Video = Aperture Knockoff - Great --- But knock it off RIGHT !

AtonMusic Community Member

Hi.....

I dont particularly like Aperture. But I have been using it for a while now to organize my video-rushes.

Particularly trimming the H264 prior to transcode is amazing.

So I saw that LR4 had gotten video capabilities and downloaded the beta.

Great work Adobe. Must say. Really like to be able to WB my clips in Lightroom prior to transcoding. Super.

However, what use is Lightroom really If I cant:

1) Export to a Real-World codec. (You offer H.264 or DPX - Latter is GREAT but a little overkill for an H264 source that doesn't need to go commercial)

2) Import the trimmed clip (with the trims) directly into Premiere Pro or other apps. (I can drag the clip from LR4 directly into PPRO but PPRO will NOT adapt the in and outpoints which is totally stupid ;-)))

The way LR4 implements Video capabilities is an exact knock-off of Aperture 3.

What I ask is that if you have the audacity to so clearly copy Apples features why dont you copy them 100%....

Aperture has the following feature " Export Version " This feature will save the trimmed version of the Movie WITHOUT re-compresing(Re-Encoding). It will save the trimmed version to WHATEVER codec the original file is.

So one can cut off start and ending and SAVE the H264 as an independent movie WITH NO RE-ENCODING. I have Tripple checked it.. Re-saved that timmed file 10 times (Meaning 10 Generations of re-saving).

Putting all 10 inside AE and comparing with difference Mattes yields a black background which means, if you composition background is black, that there is NO differences. IF Aperture would indeed re-encode the 10th generation

re-save of the H264 would look horrible, NOT SO.

Adobe, your Premiere Crew holds the opinioin that ABOVE (Saving an H264 without Re-Compressing) cannot be done without quality loss.) That is why the "Save Trimmed Version" in Premiere Pro does NOT save H264-Trimmed versions but the whole file.

They claim that the movie would loose quality as PPRO would to re-encode. That IS NOT SO. Aperture and Apple have been doing it for a while now.

I know that this is ADVANCED technology and it is difficult to figure out. But perhaps if your engineers cannot figure this one out, you could at least give LR4 Video Users the ability to export the trimmed movie to ProRes or other useful codecs.

Thanx for reading

• 1. Re: LR4 Video = Aperture Knockoff - Great --- But knock it off RIGHT !
          99jon CommunityMVP

Why not stick to Premiere Pro and set your in and out points there?

Using Lightroom simply adds to the workflow, with another stage of rendering.

• 2. Re: LR4 Video = Aperture Knockoff - Great --- But knock it off RIGHT !
            AtonMusic Community Member

99jon wrote:

Why not stick to Premiere Pro and set your in and out points there?

Using Lightroom simply adds to the workflow, with another stage of rendering.

I will always transcode.... Working with H264 is NOT an option for professional editing, Speedwise, it is TOOOOOO slow...

I need ProRes. If Lightroom could export to ProRes I could transcode ONLY the core´part of the clip and not the whole clip with extraneous beginnings and endings.

As of now, I'll just transcode everything coming off the FlashCard to prores. Then view it in the Finder. I would LOVE to copy the Flash card to the hard drive (Or import directly) then use LR4 as my Librarian GREAT FOR META DATA. Then transcode ONLY the part I need to ProRes...

Been doing this in Aperture, since V3 came out. And this is a VERY effiecient workflow. Premiere Pro iS NOT A LIBRARIAN where Lightroom is.

TO bad, adobes departments arent really communicatiung with each other. If LR4 developers would just have ONE meeting with the Premiere Pro department, adobe would gain ALL Premiere Pro users for Lightroom in the blink of an eye....

I could just export to DPX(LR4 does that) which I do every now and then, but ProRes is just as good and takes up 10x less HD space... So LR4 def. would benefit GREATLY from being able to export to ProRes.

Besides, LR4 USES Adobe Media Encoder and its presets to convert to DPX and etc... So WHY ON EARTH would adobe limit to DPX and H264... Lazyness ????

• 3. Re: LR4 Video = Aperture Knockoff - Great --- But knock it off RIGHT !
              AlphaDoug

I agree.  Actually, besides just trimming clips and choosing a key frame in Aperture, you also can use the clips to build multi-media slideshows with real transitions and a real timeline.  You can intermix stills and video.  You can have multi-layered audio with ducking etc.  You can make title slides, or add titles to any slide.  You can pan an zoom.  No such capability in LR4.  Slideshow module is embarassingly simple.

Also, for us non video professionals, you can use "edit in" you choice of non-linear editors, including iMovie and Final Cut Express or Pro, or X.  Haven't tried it with Premiere, but I will.  If Adobe is going to do this, they need to do it right.  Not just drop in a simplistic non-useful toy for amateurs.