5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 4:11 AM by Aniks

Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level

clsleah

Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficultly adjusting the level of my soundtrack in a video. The video has narration, and I want the soundtrack to play QUIETLY underneath it, but whenever I find the exact right volume for the soundtrack (-24.1 seems to be what I want) and try to set it, it continues to basically do whatever it wants as far as volume. Is there a quick trick to getting a low volume on a soundtrack? I tried the Smart Mixer, and the volume was still too high for my purposes. I want to get it very faint and consistant throughout the whole video.

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Leah

• 1. Re: Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's called audio keyframing. I show you how to do it step-by-step in my books, if you're interested.

Select the clip you want to adjust on your timeline and set the CTI playhead over it. Then click the Create Keyframe button on the track header on the left of the timeline. This will create a keyframe dot that you can adjust up and down to control your audio levels.

Creating additional keyframes, you can raise or lower the volume at specific points in any clip on your timeline.

You can also use Smart Mix, which sort of does it automatically. But doing it yourself is a great skill to have, even if you use Smart Mix, to fine tune the automatic settings.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways to adjust Audio Volume Levels, and I most often use the Volume Keyframing, that Steve mentions.

This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail.

Also, you mention Soundtrack. Ideally, that is normally a good Track (it is a Fixed Audio Track, like Narration) to put the music onto, BUT some users have experienced some odd issues with it (and the Narration Track too), and the "fix" has been to not use either the Soundtrack, or Narration Track, if problems develop, but instead just use one of the other Audio Tracks, that are free. Those problems seem to be Project-specific, as they do not affect all users, or even the same users for different Projects. Still, might be something to think about, if you are still having problems with the Soundtrack.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level
              clsleah Level 1

It looks like my issue was actually that there were keyframes in there that I wasn't aware of, causing the music to change volumes at difference points (because I hadn't put them in there myself). I ended up removing all keyframes, which allowed me to make the soundtrack a consistent volume.

• 4. Re: Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, Keyframes can too easily, and accidently be added. About all that it takes is to grab the "rubberband" and pull it, when one is editing and moving Clips around.

Best of all, you found out what was causing the issue.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adjusting "soundtrack" volume level
                  Aniks Level 2

Probably by now, you would already know about keyframes.

One other think you could have done, is start playing from beginning and open Audio Mixer. Using this also, you can simurltaneously access all the audio tracks including soundtack and narration track.