6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 1:43 PM by rob day

Muted Spot Color Display

Daniel Flavin Level 4

I have a small handful of files where the Spot Color (typically reds) is muted/bland/flat.

Toggled Use LAB for Spots, just to check....no change.

I know my colors will be fine - but what's the cause of this?

Muted Colors.png

• 1. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
          macinbytes Level 4

Try using the C version of that spot? U swatches being uncoated stock will appear more muted. In addition to that some U swatches will vary from the C swatches in mixes. In the case of some of the darker blues the mixes are very different and a coated spot in can print as purple on uncoated stock.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

Thanks Mac

• 3. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
              macinbytes Level 4

No sweat. 186 C and U look really different and you have to be pretty cautious with that one if people have it set wrong. I've seen people get burned with digital conversions from C, U, CV on both 186 and Reflex when printing digitally. For digital we do everything as C regardless of what stock due to color library support for uncoated being often inaccurate, and do custom spot conversion based on stock. That way we can use the same layout and get the same color out of different stocks.

C and U for 186 have a major difference in overprint.

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 1.23.16 PM.png

• 4. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you turn off Use Standard Lab Values, the Pantone swatches are defined with CMYK values that are the same for  coated and uncoated, so 186 U and 186 C have the same 0|100|81|4 CMYK definition. In that case with Overprint turned Off you also get the same CMYK preview (note the CMYK icon with identical swatch previews):

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 2.11.55 PM.png

When you turn on Overprint Preview you get a Lab Preview of spots whether Use Standard Lab... is checked or not.

If Use Standard Lab Values is checked the preview is always Lab whether Overprint Preview is on or off. The Lab definitions are different—53|53|21 for U and 44|68|38 for C (note the Lab icons).

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 2.11.40 PM.png

• 5. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
                  macinbytes Level 4

Mine were with the CMYK versions of the spot rather than the LAB versions. The only LAB space versions I have are the Pantone+, which have a different CMYK mix than the old 186.

Those look like Pantone+ swatches rather than the standard book values that shipped with my CS5. Pantone+ drives me nuts. Why they thought it was a good idea to give different color seperations for common colors is beyond me, why they actually changed the LAB values on colors is dain bramaged.

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 3.53.21 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-27 at 3.55.34 PM.png

• 6. Re: Muted Spot Color Display
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mine were with the CMYK versions of the spot rather than the LAB versions. The only LAB space versions I have are the Pantone+, which have a different CMYK mix than the old 186.

The Pantone Solid libraries contain dual definitions. If Use Standard lab is checked the definition is Lab and you'll see the values in the Color Panel:

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 4.38.03 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-27 at 4.37.53 PM.png

When it's unchecked the values are CMYK and the color panel changes:

Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 4.41.54 PM.png