13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 1:20 AM by digiday

Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?

digiday

Hi all,

I purchased a slightly newer version of After Effects on the internet... I've been using 4.1 and I have a version 5.0 being delivered in a few days.

I'm getting this 5.0 version because I found that it was the first version to have the Caustics and Wave World Effects included, but I think someone here also told me that AE 5.0 was the first version to use Expressions... is that correct?... whoopee!... big step!   ;^D

I'm wondering if the Expressions used in AE 5.0 are the same types of Expressions used in the more current versions of After Effects... I believe the .jsx Expression files are the ones for the current versions of AE.

Also, I was told on this forum that the script files are different from AE 4.1 in the current versions of After Effects... they are .mm files in version 4.1, but I'm wondering if they are like the more current script file formats in AE 5.0... that is, are they the same type of script files in version 5.0 as the more current versions of After Effects?

Thanks again,

digi

• 1. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are throwing together 3 different things...

• Expressions are runtime code running on top of the property streams. They can complement, modify or completely override existing static or animated values. I can vaguely remeber starting out with expressions in AE 5, so that tracks. However, the old system used a different notation with underscores and in places some different syntax . also naturally some predefined functions did not exist back then.
          • JSX Scripts were introduced in AE 6 or 6.5. They execute modal code, but in contrast to expressiosn can access UI items and "under the hood" features of the program itself.
          • Motion Math (mm scripts) existed only in older versions of AE and was scrapped after AE 7. It was merely a keyframe assistant who used his own scripting language. Since that language was C oriented rather than JavaScript like the other two, it was never particularly popular - you needed programming experience.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
            digiday Level 1

Hi Mylenuim,

Okay, I knew Expressions and Scripts are two different things, but I mispoke when I said I thought .jsx was the newer Expressions extension... I know that is not true.

I understand that .jsx is the newer Scripts extension and .mm was the older Scripts extension.

But I'm trying to get straight two other bits of info that you gave that may answer my other question.  You are saying that Expressions were available in AE 5, but used an older system with different notations... does that mean that the current Expressions cannot be used in AE 5 ?  And if not, what version of AE did the current Expression format start being used?

And you are saying that .jsx scripts were introduced in AE 6 or 6.5... does that mean that .jsx scripts cannot be used in AE 5 ?

And one last question... were the Caustics and Wave World Effects available in AE 6 and 7 ?

Thanks so much for your information... you are very knowledgeable.

digi

• 3. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
              digiday Level 1

It looks like I have the option to get an inexpensive upgrade to AE 7 for the AE 5 that I just purchased... so I'm wondering about the .jsx Scripts and which version they were first used in.

And also if the same Expressions files are being used now as the ones in AE 5 or AE 7, it would be interesting to find out about too.

I know all this talk of the old versions of After Effects is somewhat annoying to users of the new CS5 After Effects, but I'd be doing okay if I were able to use current Expressions and current .jsx Scripts in at least AE 7.

Thanks again,

digi

• 4. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

digiday wrote:

It looks like I have the option to get an inexpensive upgrade to AE 7 for the AE 5 that I just purchased... so I'm wondering about the .jsx Scripts and which version they were first used in.

Scripting was added with the release of AE 6.0.  Moving to 7.0 is a great step forward, as you'll be using the unified interface that still exists today.  Tutorials and guides will start making a lot more sense to you.

Here's some of the other features you will gain from the step up to 7.0:

advanced 3D renderer, multiple 3D views, import camera data, colored shadows, projection layers, effects palette, post render actions, advanced lightning, adjustment layer lights, smart mask, looping via expressions, expression controllers,

paint, scripting, text animators, OpenGL support, new motion tracker, Rotobezier, Keylight, Liquify, Scribble, Dust & Scratches, background rendering of RAM Previews

advanced clone tool, presets gallery, grain management, integration of Final Effects plug-ins, Color Finesse bundling, Photoshop & Illustrator layers support, Photoshop text editing, disk caching, Firewire video output, 1/2/4 point motion tracking, interface light/dark controls, motion track with scale, Grain Surgery bundling, AAF & OMF support

new unified window UI, timewarp, graph editor, OpenGL 2.0 support, 32 bpc HDR color, 32-bit audio, Adobe Bridge support, display color management, dynamic link with Premiere Pro, script editor, auto save, Photoshop file creation, smart blur, lens blur, per-character text blurring,

And also if the same Expressions files are being used now as the ones in AE 5 or AE 7, it would be interesting to find out about too.

AS Mylenium said, Expressions have changed somewhat since 5.0.  In 5.5 Expression Controllers were added, which made a huge difference to their capabilties. But you need to understand that expressions don't exist in any file format.  They are simply lines of code which are entered manually within the AE interface.  If you want to use an expression you find in a tutorial, you have to copy and paste it into AE. There are no Expression "files".

There have been a few new bits and pieces added to the Expression's capabilities over the years, but the vast majority of expressions that work today will work in AE 7.0.

Scripts DO exist as files, but like Expressions have evolved slightly, but not radically, since AE 7.0.  Most Scripts should work without problem for you.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                  digiday Level 1

Thanks allot Andrew,

Nice to have these things pointed out to me.

Also, I know the Caustics and Wave World Effects are in the AE 5.0 that I have coming, but were they still included in the AE 7.0 that I'll be upgrading to?... One of the reasons I was going up to 5.0 is for Caustics and Wave World, but of course I'd like to keep them once I upgrade up to AE 7.

Thanks so much again,

digi

• 6. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?

Yes, new features and plugins are very seldom removed once they arrive in AE.  There are always exceptions, typically when a new feature makes an older one obsolete, like text layers negating text generation plugins, for example, or expressions negating the need for Mation Math scripts.  Caustics and Wave World still exist in the current AE.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                      digiday Level 1

Thanks again Andrew,

That is good to know.

I got a new unopened copy of AE 5 for an insanely low price and I'm hoping to get the AE 7 upgrade for an equally  low price... chances are good.

I'll be back when I have 5 and then 7 set up.

You 'da man.

digi

• 8. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm quite curious how much you paid for AE version 5. Considering they're on version 10.5 right now, I hope you didn't pay much.

• 9. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                          digiday Level 1

Forty-Five dollars... for a new unopened, never installed copy of AE 5.

I will likely pay about $10 to $30 for the AE 7 upgrade.

The price on the Adobe site for AE CS5.5 is $999, and the same is going for anywhere from $550 to over the retail price on ebay.

So less than $100 total to get up to AE 7 seems like a good way to go.

• 10. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                            digiday Level 1

Hi again Andrew,

I got my unused copy of After Effects 5.0 from ebay... I bought it so I'd be able to follow and recreate this tutorial at  http://library.creativecow.net/articles/tierney_jim/caustics.php

I haven't yet got my AE 7 upgrade, but I'm hoping to get it in the next week.

I just installed my new copy of After Effects 5.0 after uninstalling my older After Effects 4.1.

I'm looking for the "Caustics" and "Wave World" Effects that are referred to in that tutorial linked above... Jim Tierney of "Digital Anarchy" is who recommended AE 5.0 to get those two filters... but now I am unable to find them in AE 5.0.

I've also explored all the actual folders in the Plug-ins folder in the AE 5.0 folder, but I'm not able to find them there either.

I just sent an email to Jim Tierney, but I haven't received a response from him yet.

It may be that I am just missing something in my quest to find these available Effects.

If you have any advice as to where to find these Effects, please shoot me back a quick response about where to look for them.

Thanks again,

digi

• 11. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?

From  memory, they were part of a third party bundle that you installed seperately.  Is there a seperate installer on the disc, or an additional disc, included.  Also check the upgrade is not an Educational/Academic version.  Back in those days, third party plugins were not included with those versions due to licensing issues.

• 12. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                                digiday Level 1

Hi Andrew, thanks for writing back... below is what I just found.  I don't yet have the AE 7 upgrade... I got beat in another auction for it tonight... currently I have only the version 5.0 installed.

I found the included AE 5.0 User Guide PDF file, and in that it says:

"Effects included with After Effects

When you register your copy of After Effects, you can download the following effects from

the After Effects product section on Adobe’s Web site: Card Dance, Card Wipe, Caustics,

Foam, and Wave World." -see the screenshot below

But I have now registered my copy of After Effects 5.0 and checked on the After Effects Exchange page of the Adobe website, and searched for what was referred to as the "After Effects product section", but I can't find anyplace to get those Effects as described.

I know this is an old version of After Effects, but these are Effects that apparently still exist and they were once on the Adobe website, available for registered owners of After Effects, so they still should be downloadable.

Where can I get this set of After Effects plug-ins that I'm supposed to be able to get?

I just posted this question on the Installations section of this forum.

Thanks,

digi

see the PDF AE 5 User Guide screenshot below...

Caustic+WaveWorld_AE5manual.jpg

• 13. Re: Were Expressions available in After Effects 5.0 ?
                                  digiday Level 1

Also, even stranger, it seems that there were more Effects built in to my AE 4.1 installation than what show up in AE 5.0... I can't even find "Displacement Map".