6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 4:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Can you make text "float" like this?

amoncur Level 1

Please go here to see the effect I'm after: http://www.inviseomedia.com/inviseo_en.html

Click "View Intro"

There are a series of verbiage that appear in the video.  For example, the first one says "Looking for a captive audience?".  I'm trying to dupclicate this effect where it fades in, zooms slightly, then fades out.  Is this possible in Premier Elements?

• 1. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those are just basic keyframed motion  and fade effects applied to titles, amoncur.

So it's certainly possible. But how much do you know about creating fade ins and fade out?

And how much do you know about using keyframing to create motion?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
            amoncur Level 1

Thanks, Steve.  I've done plenty of rendering animations using keyframing, so I'm familiar with it.  I am, however, brand new to Premier Elements, and could not find any options for keyframing text motion.  I've been using the simple "Text" icon at the lower right corner of the preview screen, but it sounds like you're telling me I need to be using titles to do this, not text.  I'll dig into the titles area and see what I find.  Thanks for letting me know it's doable, anyway.

• 3. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You would be animating a Title, or Titles, and using the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, Keyframing changes to its attributes over time - same as with many animation programs.

Many other Effects, and not just the Fixed Effects, like Motion>Position, Motion>Scale, Rotation, etc., can be Keyframed over time.

Steve has a great series on Keyframing in PrE, at Muvipix.com, though, IIRC, it is only for subscribers.

PrE also has some Title Animation Presets, but they are quite simple, and too often limiting, so I rely on Keyframing, instead.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
                amoncur Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  Is it possible to overlay titles on top of video?  Or do titles have to appear before or after the video?

• 5. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You can easily overlay Titles (both Text and Shapes) over Video, or, they can be placed on the same Video Track, between Clips. The choice is yours.

Now, when you create, or edit a Title in the Titler (a mini-app. that launches from within PrE), you will see any underlying Video through it. If you look at the Titles in the Media Panel, you will see a black background, but that is actually transparent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can you make text "float" like this?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at a Text Title being edited in Titler, after it has been placed onto a Video Track above a Video Clip (actually, a couple in this example). The Title has just been created, and the "placeholder Text" has been Selected (Selection Tool - the arrowhead), and is about to be edited (that would be done with the Text Tool - T), or Deleted, to be replaced by something else, such as a Shape:

PrE_Titler_02.png

Note: there is another Title, "This is Heathrow," that is below this one, and above the Video and the PiP (Picture in Picture). There is also a Title, with a Shape (the gray rectangle), and its Fixed Effect>Opacity has been adjusted for partial Transparency.

One can also place Images into a Title, though not all Image formats are supported.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt