2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2012 1:51 AM by whatalotofrubbish RSS

W3C error with select elements

whatalotofrubbish Community Member

I am getting the following error message when using the W3C Validator on a HTML5 page in CS5.5:

Line 79 No space between attributes [HTML5]

Line 81 No space between attributes [HTML5]

Line 81 The select element cannot have ,ore than one selected option descendant unless the multiple attribute is specified [HTML5]

Line 82 No space between attributes [HTML5]

Line 82 The select element cannot have ,ore than one selected option descendant unless the multiple attribute is specified [HTML5]

The error appears when it checks a dynamic populated list created by Dreamweaver.

For every item in the list, I get the error shown in lines 81 and 82. The line 79 error always appears first..

The page works fine.

I did a search for this error on the web, and found that it was reported as a bug in the validator some time ago, but another report says that the bug has now been fixed.

When the validator stays on the page for longer than a few seconds with this error, Dreamweaver reports that it has ;lost contact with the  (local) Apache server. Dreamweaver has to be restarted to fix it.

Is this a bug in the validator or is it an error in the Dreamweaver list menu code.

It happens in any dynamically populated list with Dreamweaver generated with code like this:

<select name="pick" size="11" class="selectblue">

<?php

do { 

?>

<option value="<?php echo $row_Recordset1['club_index']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_Recordset1['club_index'], $row_Recordset1['club_index']))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>>

<?php echo $row_Recordset1['club_name']?></option>

<?php

} while ($row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1));

$rows = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);

if($rows > 0) {

mysql_data_seek($Recordset1, 0);

$row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);

}

?>

</select>

Is this a bug in the validator or is it an error in the Dreamweaver list menu code.

• 1. Re: W3C error with select elements

The code inserted by Dreamweaver is like this:

<option value="<?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_Recordset1['incometype'], $row_Recordset1['incometype']))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>><?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?></option>

and generates errors.

If the code is split like this:

<option value="<?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?>"

<?php if (!(strcmp($row_Recordset1['incometype'], $row_Recordset1['incometype']))) {echo "selected = \"selected\"";} ?>><?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?></option>

Then all the errors regarding space between elements disappear.

This also happens if a space is inserted between the code and its all left on one line. like this, after the first ;?>"

<option value="<?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?>"  <?php if (!(strcmp($row_Recordset1['incometype'], $row_Recordset1['incometype']))) {echo "selected = \"selected\"";} ?>><?php echo $row_Recordset1['incometype']?></option>

So that looks like a bug in Dreamweaver.

I have still to find what the problem about more than one slected element is.with the "selected = \"selected\" code, or why it only starts at the second instance:

Usually I find that these errors are caused by other code, so just to prove that this should not be the case, I set up a new page with a static list and a dynamic one. I tested all the code using w3c prior to inserting the dynamic content, and it all checked out. Put the dynamic code into the page and it all fouls up.

I have been unable to validate any page that has a dynamic list on it, so unless YOU know better, either the Validator has a bug or or the code provided with Dreamweaver has.

• 2. Re: W3C error with select elements

Found the problem!

It is possible to have two files open at the same time, one hiding behind the other - never knew this until today, when I resumed work on the file causing the problem.

It turned out that two copies of the same file were both open in live view, something which should be impossible I would have thought.

After Dreamweaver crashed for the tenth time this morning, I  found and closed the other window, and w3c reported no more errors nof the type noted above.

Dreamweaver also stopped crashing every time that I used the validator.