24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 6:36 PM by karen salinasj

error message "no permission to copy document here"

elizabethdwilson

In Adobe Digital Editions when I drag a book to my Color Nook I get the error message "no permission to copy document here."  It seemed to start after Nook got a software update.  I have spent 7 hours on the phone with Nook, Adobe, my local library and no one has a solution.  I need HELP.  I was reading a library book and 30 minutes later couldn't open it and cannot get a new book to copy to my Nook.  I'm totally frustrated.

• 1. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
          stmpsister6249

I am having the same issue, though did not notice that it coincided with the update.  I did unplug my nook from the computer (accidentally) without doing an "eject", so had thought my problems could be stemming from that.  I just wish I could get it fixed so that I can download books from our library again.  Is ticking me off too.

• 2. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
            elizabethdwilson Level 1

I have an appointment with my local library Wednesday (Feb 1) to do some hands-on troubleshooting.  Forget about B&N helping as my local store employees said they weren’t allowed to touch my laptop (which in this litigious society I can understand).   I must admit that their “800” number did try.  I know the error message coincided with a software update as my Color Nook had some screen and pull-down menu features that had changed in the + or - 30 minutes I left it idle.  I was reading a library book, took a break, came back, and all of a sudden I couldn’t not only not read it – could not even reload it on my Nook.  I am totally torqued that Adobe could not be more helpful as it is “free software.”  My theory is that there is a software disconnect between Adobe Digital Editions and Nook version l.4.1 which in a perfect world shouldn’t be, as the Nook Color is also powered with Adobe software…oh well…too many fingers in too many pies.  After the problem is solved I hope I am proven wrong and it is something so simple…although we may never know.   I just want it fixed so I can enjoy library books again.  The more people that respond to this can only help to focus attention on the problem.  Will attempt to keep everyone posted on my progress.   Thanks for the reponse.

• 3. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
              Jim_Lester Level 4

The Nook update most likely messed up the activation on your nook.

With the Nook connected and showing in ADE hit Ctrl-Shift-E (Cmd-Shift-E on the Mac).  This should bring up the deactivate device dialog - use it to deactivate your Nook.

Quit ADE, and relaunch ADE (with your Nook still attached), and you should get a device activation dialog, Activate your Nook and then try to copy.

• 4. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                elizabethdwilson Level 1

I have performed that function many, many times with no results.  Ctrl-Shift-E does not bring up an activation dialog box.  To further compound the problem I have a “document is licensed for a different user account” message.  The forum is full of frustrated people with that error message with no solutions that I can see.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled ADE several times, deleted files, everything the forum suggests….nothing seems to work.

• 5. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                  Jim_Lester Level 4

"To further compound the problem I have a “document is licensed for a different user account” message."

Where are you getting this error? Can you read the book in ADE?  (If you can't read it on your computer, you will not be able to read it on your Nook).

• 6. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                    elizabethdwilson Level 1

I can read the book on my laptop…it opens perfectly well in ADE on the computer.  I get the “document is licensed for a different user account” intermittently when I mouse over a book in ADE.  I get the “no permission to copy here” when I drag and drop the book on the Nook.

• 7. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

NOW we're getting somewhere.  Everything works except drag and drop....

Publishers and others (not us) have the ability to assign digital rights to

an epublication.  I have seen this situation before, when the digital

rights have been set to prevent copying the ebook to another device.  You

can check this in Library view, by putting your cursor on the small arrow

next to the ebook's title.  A drop-down menu will appear.  Pick 'Item Info'

from that menu, and it will show you the permissions at the bottom.

If copying is denied, then you could go back to the library and ask them if

they can change the digital rights.  If not, then that particular ebook is

restricted to being read on your computer.

Hope this helps!

==============

• 8. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                        elizabethdwilson Level 1

I have reviewed that attribute and wondered if it was part of my problem.  The twist to that is that I had copied and was reading an epub book on my Nook, couldn’t access it after the software upgrade, and subsequently can’t recopy the very same book back on the Nook.  In the last several days I’ve downloaded several books and checked the attributes.  They all have “allow viewing on any device” but “no copying”    That is an issue I’m going to take up with the library.  In hindsight I wish I had checked the no copying attribute the very first time I put a book on the Nook…that could probably give me some clues.

Thanks to all for your input…the answer is out there somewhere

• 9. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                          Jim_Lester Level 4

Is your ADE authorized to an AdobeID?

to check this:

In ADE, from the Library menu select "Authorize Computer..." 

It should either come back with a Wizard to enter in an AdobeID, or a dialog displaying your AdobeID.

Report back either way, but if you get the Wizard do not go through with it yet.

• 10. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                            elizabethdwilson Level 1

Authorized to my e-mail address

• 11. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                              Jim_Lester Level 4

On your nook there should be a .adobe-digital-editions folder (note the . in the front it may be hidden so you may have to 'show all hidden folders')

Rename this folder to something else (like old-adobe-digital-editions)

Unplug the nook

Make sure WiFi is on

Reboot the device (long press on power for 5 seconds or so until you get a "Power Off?" dialog, wait for it to shut down, and the long press on the power again till it boots)

Before connecting to the computer try to read any content from B&N  (this will make sure that the .adobe-digital-editions folder is properly recreated and working).

With ADE closed, reconnect the nook to your computer

Start ADE.

ADE should notice the nook and bring up the 'Device Authorization' wizard, if it does then let it authorize the device, and you should be able to copy the book from ADE on to the nook, and read it.

• 12. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                elizabethdwilson Level 1

Explain “before connecting to computer read content from B&N”…I thought the Nook needed to be mounted to read the drive.  I’ve been through this exercise several times but I certainly don’t mind trying it again…miracles happen

• 13. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                  Jim_Lester Level 4

"Explain “before connecting to computer read content from B&N”"

On your nook, while it is not connected to a computer, open (read) a book that you got through B&N (as opposed to a book from a library).   This will force the B&N Reader application to regenerate the files in the .adobe-digital-editions folder, if they haven't been already created during the boot process.

• 14. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                    elizabethdwilson Level 1

I renamed the folder…went through the steps…when I rebooted the Nook I saw the renamed folder but no new .adobe-digital-editions on the Nook itself.  When I connect the Nook to the computer and open the drive I see the . file but still do not see it physically in “my files” on the Nook and did not get a device authorization wizard.

• 15. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                      elizabethdwilson Level 1

Did that…I see the .adobe file when the drive is connected to the computer and open but do not see it physically in my files on the Nook….am I supposed to see it in my files on the Nook when not connected to the computer

• 16. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                        Jim_Lester Level 4

Okay It is possible that you told ADE not to authorize the nook at some time previous - and ADE is dutifully doing just that.  To get around that, then on your computer:

1.) Close ADE

2.) Go to the "My Documents/My Digital Editions" folder

3.) Rename the file manifest.xml to manifest.xml.old

(Note: this will remove all of your books and shelves from ADE - do not panic, you will get them back)

4.) Without the nook connected to your computer Launch ADE

It will start scanning your Digital Editions folders and adding most if not all files back again (again, do not worry)

5.) Close ADE

6.) Connect your nook to your computer

7.) Launch ADE

The device wizard should pop up at this point.

If it does, authorize the device, close ADE, delete the current manifest.xml, rename manifest.xml.old back to manifest.xml and you should be back in business.

If not report what happened, I'll try finding another straw to clutch...

• 17. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                          elizabethdwilson Level 1

Did you hear me shouting….it worked!!!  If I could get to you I would hug your neck.  This time around I did NOT check the box to “not ask for this device again.”  I may have done that in the initial setup.   In some of the forum stuff I read, somebody suggested to go into the xml file and delete some strings but I wasn’t interested in rewriting code.  Are you a professional technician or just a kind techy.  Whatever, thank you so very much for taking the time to get me through this.  Now I understand some of the processing involved….it makes me crazy to be able to perform a function one minute and the next minute it doesn’t work.

Thank you…thank you

• 18. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                            Jim_Lester Level 4

Great, glad it's working for you now.

p.s. You can delete the 'old-adobe-digital-editions' folder on your nook - you don't need it now.

• 19. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                              stmpsister6249 Level 1

Thank you!  This worked great for me also.  The books didn't show up on my home page automatically (like before), but they were there in the shelves area and I got them to the home page and opened!  Woo Hoo!

• 20. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                                Schwielj81

Thank you so much for this post by Mr Lester, like elizabeth I was TOTALLY Frustrated!  I had spent a couple of hours a night over two weeks trying to crack the code on this issue,  many times talking to help Desks at Adobe, Barns and Noble, and the library to no avail (my out of date XP SP2 desktop did not help).   I will pass this procedure on to our library because they are totally lost in helping for this type of issue, Thanks to Mr Lester for helping us get our reading time back!  Lou in Ohio

• 21. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                                  elizabethdwilson Level 1

My librarian was also following this discussion and, thanks to Mr. Lester, can now help others with this issue.  I am thoroughly enjoying my library books again.

I think a key is when you are initially authorizing your e-reader device to NOT check the box asking to not ask about this device again.  If that box is NOT checked then control-shift-E works to deauthorize and authorize a device.

• 22. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                                    vwomble

My problem is a bit more complex and the steps you carefully outlined didn't solve the problem.  I was the original owner of the Nook, but transfered it to my wife.  I reregistered the Nook to her email address.

She downloaded a book from the local library and got the same error that was reported in this thread.  I followed the steps to deauthorize the computer (CNTRL-SHIFT-D) and then reauthorized it with her email and password.  I renamed the manifest.xml, and relaunched ADE.  There was an error message:

There were some documents that were not imported into your library during Rebuild Bookshelf.

Please see the import.log file for details.

2 of 3 documents were imported.

--- end ---

I checked the import log (in My Digital Editions folder it is import.txt).  In that file I find the entry:

Rebuild Bookshelf Phase 3 starting.
                                                    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Documents\My Digital Editions\Arctic_Drift.epub
                                                    Arctic_Drift.epub:
                                                    Document is licensed for a different user account

Document Error (E_) or Failure (F_) prevented import to library.

I am now lost.  Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

• 23. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I think you're confusing a couple of issues.  "No Permission to Copy Here"

is a message you get when you're trying to copy a DRM-protected ebook and

the permissions won't let you do that.  "Document is licensed for a

different user account" is a message that says the user who downloaded the

ebook is different from the one who is trying to open it.

In the former case, you are pretty much stuck, because publishers,

distributors and authors set the permissions.  You should go back to the

library and find out whether they can change the DRM protection settings to

allow the loaned ebook to be transferred to your Nook.  Some will - some

won't - some cannot.

In the second case, you're seeing the consequences of changing the Nook's

registration from yourself to her.  And ebooks you downloaded to that Nook

were tagged with your ID, and they are not accessible to her with her ID.

One of the ones you're trying to rebuild has a different ID than you think

it does.  Could you have downloaded it under her ID, and are now trying to

do the rebuild under yours - or vice versa?

=============

• 24. Re: error message "no permission to copy document here"
                                                        karen salinasj

Although I see the comments here are old most 2012, I had the same issue, no permission to copy. I had to reformat my hard drive and installed ADE that's when I started getting the message. I tried using the control panel to uninstall  the ADE program. I was still getting the same message, however when I went to the ADE then to the uninstall tab there, installed again it fixed the issue. I hope this easy enough to understand. Let me know if anyone has this problem and if this works for you.

Thanks