14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 2:12 AM by Geoffrey Lomas

Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!

Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

I successfully burned two discs on my previous project so my software & hardware should be working OK. Now I cannot burn my new project to either disc or file. The system encodes fairly quickly but during the second or third stage when the whole process is about 50% complete the process stops & the software "freezes" & I have to restart via Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I have tried a number of changes without success. I cannot figure out what I may be doing differently. Does anyone have any ideas? It is another slide show +audio DVD project suitable for TV. All the soundtracks are mp3 & I transfer photos from Organiser in Photoshop Elements 6.0

Regards   Geoff

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's usually an indication that you've run out of free disc space or that your disc space is fragmented or cluttered with tmp files.

Try running a Deep Care with with Advanced System Care Free and see if that helps.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Also run the defragmenter tool on all your hard drives.

If that doesn't do it, there could be issues with your source video, your project settings or corruption in your project file that we'll only discover with some extensive troubleshooting.

(I also recommend converting any MP3s to WAVs using a program like Audacity (free). Although the program can work with MP3s, they often bog down the program and can cause system chokes.)

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Steve, the first thing to check is the amount of defragmented free space on your HDD(s). Please report the amount of free space on each HDD, after you have defragmented.

Also, see this ARTICLE on program hangs and crashes. It begins with a comprehensive checklist, but then goes into detail on troubleshooting.

Next, if you could burn other Project, but not this one, there could be an issue with this one. One common problem is when there is any gap in the Video on the Timeline. Do you have any gaps?

Another cause for a hang can be a Stop Marker placed at the end of the Timeline. Do you have a Stop Marker at the end?

Also, the exact Assets that you have, can be an issue. Do you have any Still Images? If so, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those Still Images?

Do you have any MP3's on the Timeline? Those can be problematic.

Good luck, and please let us know more, about your computer, and your Project.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
              Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick reply. Based on your suggestions, this is what I have found out so far:-

1) There appears to be no gap in the Timeline nor any stop markers.

2) Looks like the mp3 audio tracks are not the problem because I get the same problem at exactly the same situation ( approx. 50% complete) when I delete all the sound tracks.

3) I defraged the only C drive. The info was that there was no need but I did it regardless but it gave me only0.2 Gb of extra space which is now 16.5 Gb on a total size 74.5 Gb drive. I guessed that this was unlikely to be the problem as the new project was the same size as the successful project & I deleted the latter afterwards wheras the new project was almost in its final form whilst I burnt the old project. Also I guess that a 10 minute slide show with music is much less demanding of computer memory than say movie clips but i may have got this wrong!

4) The image size for all still images in both projects is the same for both projects which is 3648 x 2736. I use only still images. I transfer still photos from the Organiser in Elements 6.0. I did notice that with the new project that the clusters stayed intact (convenient for adding new photos) but I made sure that they were separated before burning.

5) I did read "Article". Most of it went over my head!

6) The preview on the monitor played perfectly without any blips

What do you guys suggest I try next. Possibly a new smaller project to see if I can reproduce the problem? If it burns this may suggest a corrupt file on the troublesome project. How does one identify a corrupt file? Great to think that someone out there likes solving technical problems.

Regards  Geoff

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply. Based on your & Bill's suggestions, this is what I have found out so far:-

1) There appears to be no gap in the Timeline nor any stop markers.

2) Looks like the mp3 audio tracks are not the problem because I get the same problem at exactly the same situation ( approx. 50% complete) when I delete all the sound tracks.

3) I defraged the only C drive. The info was that there was no need but I did it regardless but it gave me only0.2 Gb of extra space which is now 16.5 Gb on a total size 74.5 Gb drive. I guessed that this was unlikely to be the problem as the new project was the same size as the successful project & I deleted the latter afterwards wheras the new project was almost in its final form whilst I burnt the old project. Also I guess that a 10 minute slide show with music is much less demanding of computer memory than say movie clips but i may have got this wrong!

4) The image size for all still images in both projects is the same for both projects which is 3648 x 2736. I use only still images. I transfer still photos from the Organiser in Elements 6.0. I did notice that with the new project that the clusters stayed intact (convenient for adding new photos) but I made sure that they were separated before burning.

5) I did read "Article". Most of it went over my head!

6) The preview on the monitor played perfectly without any blips

What do you guys suggest I try next. Possibly a new smaller project to see if I can reproduce the problem? If it burns this may suggest a corrupt file on the troublesome project. How does one identify a corrupt file? Great to think that someone out there likes solving technical problems.

Regards  Geoff

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

I need clarification on this. When you said:

extra space which is now 16.5 Gb on a total size 74.5 Gb drive.

do you mean that you only have 16.5GB of free-space on your C:/? If so, then it has likely filled up, since you did your last Project, as that is barely enough to launch PrE.

Next, that drive capacity is odd, at least to me. Is that a partition, or a physical HDD, say an 80GB, that, when formatted is showing 75.5?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Goeff,

After you have clarified things for us, here are some thoughts, and also some info, that might prove useful.

First, there are several functions that go into Burning to Disc for DVD. PrE does them in order, and that order can be somewhat useful in troubleshooting. PrE will first Transcode your Timeline to a Video and an Audio stream, and then will mux (combine the Audio & Video Stream) into one MPEG-2 file. At one time, there will be two separate files, but the user will likely never see this, unless they are watching Windows Explorer, and Refreshing often. That takes some major HDD space, as it's not until after the next step, that those files are cleared out.

To get those two elemental Streams Transcoded, PrE does a 2-pass Encode. This means that at 50% of the process, the first pass has completed, i.e. this means that 50% of the process means 100% of the Timeline, but only for the first pass. Then, PrE looks at that first pass, and takes the info gathered, then decides the Bit-Rate to actually Transcode during that second pass, but based on what it found in the first pass - mainly looking at areas of motion, as they will require a higher Bit-Rate, than the static areas. This allows the quality to be as high as possible, but with the smallest MPEG-2 file, i.e. putting longer Duration Timelines on a disc. There is a little pause in this part of the process, as PrE processes the info gathered during the first pass. Remember, this is at the 50% point in the process.

During that second pass, Encoding is taking place, based on the info of the first pass. This is then most parts of the process, beyond 50%. This is also where some problems with a Timeline can surface, as the actual Encoding is in progress. During this step, the two files are created.

Next, those two files, the Video and Audio Streams, are combined into one file, but for a moment, all three files are on the HDD. Then, the two elemental Streams are deleted.

Last, the navigation and the Menu Sets are created, via the Vobulator module. This puts any navigation and the first part of the MPEG-2 file into the first VOB. Then, the rest of the MPEG-2 is written (spanned in most cases) to the remaining VOB's, and finally, the rest of the DVD file structure, the IFO, and BUP files are written, and added to the VIDEO_TS folder. Once that is done, the MPEG-2 file is deleted.

When these processes complete, the actual Burn to Disc process is started. When completed, the entire DVD folder structure, such as the VIDEO_TS, and all files, will be Deleted, as they are all on the disc now.

A lot goes into burning a disc, and much more free space, than for the size of the DVD, will be required. If it once worked for Project of about the same size, but will not work now, the first place to look will be the free-space on the HDD.

Along with those PrE-specific process, if one has their Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) dynamically managed (the default), then it too will likely grow, needing more free-space.

That is why I asked for some clarification on the actual free-space.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                      Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

Wow!!! I think I get the gist! Thanks for your quick reply & your detailed explanation. To try to answer your questions:-

1) My computer is 4 years old with a 80Gb HDD & currently states that it has 16.5Gb space on a total size of 74.5Gb whatever that means (formatted size?). It has a2Gb ROM. Defraging made hardly any difference.

2) There should be a little more free space on the HDD for this project compared to the previous similar sized project because I deleted  some previous projects ( including the Pre ) & Nero which had its own issues. However it does sound like a disc space issue based on your detailed description of the software process so perhaps I should look through my files in Elements 6.0 & Picasa 3.0 & do some sacrificing! By the way does replication in these two pieces of software require double the storage space or are both derived from one file system?

3) I soon stopped sacrificing DVD discs & started to try to burn to file (the smaller file option) but presumably the process works in exactly the same way but eliminates possible problems with an extra piece of hardware? The project is the simplest imaginable (it has to be for me!) no DVD menues, no moving images & no stop markers.

4) I gather from this forum that it may be a good idea to turn off temporarily any anti-virus software/firewall. I have recently replaced my Norton software with Microsoft's freebie "Microsoft Security Essentials" but unlike my previous software I cannot find how to do this with my present set-up. I am sure I am missing something somewhere! Any ideas & is it worth doing?

Regards   Geoff

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                        nealeh Level 5

Right-click MSE in the system tray and select 'Open'. Realtime settings are in the settings tab.1.png

There are a few things you could do to free up more space (I once wrote a piece that Bill put into a 'Tip & Trick - but I can't recall which).

Essentially though:

• Use Windows Disk Cleanup to remove all restore points but the most recent. (be absolutely certain that the most current one does work for you).
                        • Use the free utility CCleaner (originally cr*p cleaner but its success has made them more modest) to clean the disk.
                        • Use the free utility SpaceSniffer to provide a totally amazing visual image of what is using your disk space. Delete or archive stuff you no longer need - and remember to empty the recycle bin.

Good luck,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                          Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

It looks like you have hit the nail on the head. I succeeded in burning to file & disc a new small project ( 6 mins of slides + music ) but failed on a new larger project (17 mins of slides + music) & the latter caused the system to "freeze" at the 50% marker again. Obviously I shall continue to try & free up space on my hard drive but in order to minimize my sacrifice of photos (convenient to have them at hand ) I wonder if I could reduce the total disc memory requirements during burning by:-

1) Reducing the pixel size of the images which currently is 3648 x 2736? Eg would halving the file size of the images produce a corresponding 50% reduction in disc space requirements? If this is worth trying would the reduction in the defination of the DVD be noticeable on TV? ( I suspect not ). If you consider this idea worthwhile how can I reduce the file size of hundreds of images quickly? I cannot see any batch prcessing mechanism in Premier 3.0 or Elements 6.0

2) Could I reduce the space requirements for the burning process by selecting "Fit contents to available space" (which defaults to low quality video) rather than unticking this box & opting for high quality video.

Generally I am surprised that the burning process requires such large disc spaces because Premier 3.0 belongs to an age of smaller hard drives. Anyway thanks for your time Bill & your detailed description below & hopefully your patience may extend to helping me with the above questions.

Regards    Geoff

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Having oversized photos in your project is the chief cause of transcoding overloads and out of memory issues, Geoffrey.

DEFINITELY reduce your photos sizes to no larger than 1000x750 and you'll see a major improvement in performance and transcoding times as well as a LOT fewer crashes and lockups.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, Scaling the Still Images to about the Frame Size of the Project, in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, will improve the quality of the output. The Scaling algorithms in PS/PSE are better than those in PrE (and even PrPro, up until CS5, but that is a different story, and relies heavily on specialized hardware).

Even with PrPro CS 5/5.5, there is still the matter of processing overhead, with overly-large Still Images. I do not require my NLE (Non Linear Editor) to process more pixels, than I can effectively use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Scaling Still Images in PS/PSE for use in a Video production.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                                  Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

Success! Thanks for your help & patience. I had to start my projects afresh having first reduced the file size of my slides to psd 480 x 640 in Elements 3.0. I came across your advice on batch processing in your ARTICLE in the forum. This was a most useful thread. The process I adopted was laborious. I could not see how I could transfer the existing files in the project into a new or existing folder WITHIN ELEMENTS whereby I could batch process file conversions en block before retuning them to the project (sequencing retained?). Perhaps I have missed something! If so perhaps you might point me in the right direction. In the meantime many thanks for all your help.

Regards   Geoff

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 3.0  Burning DVD to Disc or File Problem worked last time but not this time!
                                    Geoffrey Lomas Level 1

Hi Steve,

Success! Thanks for your help & patience. I had to start my projects afresh having first reduced the file size of my slides to psd 480 x 640 in Elements 3.0. I came across Bill's advice on batch processing in his ARTICLE in the forum. This was a most useful thread. The process I adopted was laborious. I could not see how I could transfer the existing files in the project into a new or existing folder WITHIN ELEMENTS whereby I could batch process file conversions en block before retuning them to the project (sequencing retained?). Perhaps I have missed something! If so perhaps you might point me in the right direction. In the meantime many thanks for all your help.

Regards   Geoff