29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 10:26 AM by StellaFargo

psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop

jaytee1942

I've been working with psd files in CS4 and after saving once, everything seems normal. After working on a file more and trying to save, I get a message that it can't be saved because the file name is not valid. If I close the file without saving and try to reopen, it says I don't have permission to open the file. I've tried doing a SaveAs under a different name with same results. Even worse is that the files I thought I had saved previously simply disappear from the folder they were in if I do the SaveAs step under a similar, but different name (like adding -1 to the name.) They don't appear anywhere on the computer that I can find. Any ideas on what's causing this? I'm running an up-to-date Windows 7, 64-bit. CS4 also is a current 64-bit.

• 1. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

A few quick questions:

Are you working to/from a networked, or external HDD?

If networked, what are your permissions?

If not, on your machine, what is the level of your User Account? Note: there are differences between Administrator, and an account with Administrative rights.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

PS - there are also several similar posts, over the last year, or so, but do not recall what the causes, or solutions were. Maybe Search this forum, and do a little reading. If I can locate them quickly, I'll add a link, or two.

• 2. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
            jaytee1942 Level 1

No, it's a standalone and I have full administrative permissions. I've had CS4 on it with no issues since 4 was first released, and while I normally work with JPEGs, I've also worked with PSDs with no problem. The files I've lost all used masks and I'm wondering if there's some connection there.

Really strange as once a file disappears, it's like it never existed. Not in any folder, not in the recycle bin, and doesn't show in the Recently Opened. Frustrating...

Thanks for replying so quickly. I hope someone has an answer or suggestion.

• 3. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
              Curt Y Level 7

When you save look closely at the file name.  Do you have an extra dot in it.  Such as rose.psd.psd or rose.c.psd?

• 4. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                jaytee1942 Level 1

No, file names appear normal. My normal naming on an edited file is simply to add a 1- to the original file name. The extension stays the same.

• 5. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                  jaytee1942 Level 1

Sorry, that wasn't quite correct. When I save it as a PSD, the extension does change, but there's only the one dot.

• 6. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                    Curt Y Level 7

If you do search on computer with the first part of the name do you come up with anything?

• 7. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                      jaytee1942 Level 1

No, the edited file simply no longer exits on the drive. I've done a complete search. Definitely strange as I've had files get corrupted, but never just disappear after I've saved them.

• 8. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

If the file name is not what you thought it was, then you might have a problem searching for it.   Search for ALL .psd or .tiff (you said it had layers)  on your drive, and arrange the results with the newest files at the top.   BTW  It is not so obvious how to sort by date order with Win7, but right clicking any of the results brings up the option.

• 9. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

To be VERY clear here...

We're talking about File - Save As, NOT File - Save for Web, right?

I ask because there's an issue with the latter where under some conditions filenames will be automatically shortened to a certain maxiumum number of characters, because of a SFW&D configuration setting that strives to make web image names compatible with old browser limitations.

SaveCompatibility.jpg

-Noel

• 10. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                            jaytee1942 Level 1

Thanks to all who have replied. I don't think it's a simple file-naming issue, but maybe there's something I don't see. Here are the steps leading to the problem with files produced by 2 or 3 different cameras.

1. Open a jpeg file that has the camera-assigned name, like P1234567.jpg

2. As I've been replacing the sky in several, I copy a sky photo to a new layer in the opened file.

3. I create a new layer with a mask so the new sky shows.

4. I use Save As to a different work folder, renaming the file to 1-P1234567 and changing the file type to PSD. The file shows in the work folder.

5. I then continue to edit the file, burning, dodging, etc.

6. When I click Save now (sometimes after the second or third Save), I get the error message that the file name is not valid and Photoshop is unable to save.

7. At this point, I've tried two things.

I've closed the file and tried to reopen it and get the message that I don't have administrative permission.

I've done a new Save As with a different name like 2-P1234567.psd. Again, the new file shows in the work folder.

8.When I close Photoshop and restart it, both files, 1- and 2- are no longer in the work folder and don't appear in the Open Recent list. It's as if they never existed as they are not anywhere on the hard drive under any name.

I'll continue to play with it and try changing  around the order of saving. It also hasn't lost (so far) the new jpeg if I flatten the layers and do a Save As. Maybe it's just a bug with a particular combination of file characteristics and save steps since it doesn't seem to be a common problem with other users.

Again, thanks to all who took time to respond.

• 11. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

What you're doing isn't really different from what hundreds of thousands of others do, so I'm thinking it's more likely something's wrong with your particular system than Photoshop's file saving process, or there's be quite an uproar here.  Photoshop certainly does not delete its own files normally!

Check your Windows Application Event Log for errors.  It's possible you have a disk problem, or that the system is logging errors that would help you learn what it is that's really going wrong.

Click Start, type event log into the search box, and hit Enter.  Expand Windows Logs and look in the Application and System logs for Error events.

With disappearing files, I'd DEFINITELY check the file system for problems...  Open Computer, right-click on the drive, and choose Properties.  Click the Tools tab, and press the [Check now...] button in the Error-checking section.  It may take a while but you really want to be sure you can trust the file system to be free from errors.

Also, what anti-malware software are you running? 

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree completely with Noel. Either there is a problem, specific to your system, or to your workflow. From the questions above, and your answers, it is likely that we can rule out workflow, but maybe not 100% yet.

I second using Event Viewer to look for all recent Warnings, and Error messages in both System and Applications. I use that so often, that one of the first things that I do, when setting up a new OS/computer, is to put a Shortcut onto the Desktop. It can be invaluable to troubleshooting all sorts of problems.

Note: if you do find any Warning, or Error messages in Event Viewer, some will just be bits of code, and are not likely to be of much help, but some might have links in them - follow those links, and any additional links within. THOSE can almost always be useful, though sometimes still a bit vague. Then, you might look for keywords in them, and Google/Bing for those keywords.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                  evolet0680

Finally! I thought I was going crazy. I started having this same problem a few months back, but my files never completely disappeared. Now, they are gone--Houdini gone-- and I have to start from scratch. The thing is that most of my work is from scratch, so losing it is a HUGE problem. If you find your files, please let me know what you did. I am not using masks on all of my files, so I am going to say that isn't your problem. My workflow looks similar to yours, and it's never caused this before... My files are text effects (sans masks), created graphics, backgrounds, and compilations of photos, stock pieces, and manipulated work to create the things my employer desires. And I just lost a set of files that are going to set me back days.

I have gone through everyone's suggestions and am still at square one.

What I can say about workflow-- if this helps anyone-- is that when I was in school 12 years ago, I was trained to have a semi internal beat that forced me to click save every 10 minutes. I felt save happy in the beginning, but it has been a lifesaver. That fact that my save is malfunctioning is wearing on me.

• 14. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Nothing in the system event log?

Does CHKDSK find any file system problems?

-Noel

• 15. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                      evolet0680 Level 1

HI Noel--

There was nothing in the system event log-- I spent yesterday afternoon scouring it after reading through your suggestions.

CHKDSK found 0 file system problems.

I'm willing to check anything to fix what's happening.

Thanks for the response!

-Erin

• 16. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Sorry to hear you still haven't found the problem.

It almost sounds as though the files have been deleted after the fact, which would imply a malware infection.

Avast antivirus is a good product (their Free Antivirus package is all most folks need).  I don't know whether they still have a process on their site for attacking an existing infection, but they do know what they're doing re: malware.  I've used their stuff for something like 6 years now, ever since I ran XP x64.

http://www.avast.com

-Noel

• 17. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                          evolet0680 Level 1

Thanks for the info! I will check it out this afternoon.

I'm also thinking about a compatability problem with our recently upgraded system. They might need to think about upgrading the graphic software as well.

Again, thank you.

-Erin

• 18. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

While updating one's graphics driver is usually a good thing to do, this smacks of an I/O sub-system issue, as Noel has suspected.

Back in Event Viewer, check the Applications Tab, as well. If there are no errors, or warnings, then a bit of detective work might be involved. Try to calculate the time/date of the Saves, and take a look to see what other apps. were fired up, at about that time. Anything that you see, that looks a bit odd - some program/service, that you would not expect to be launched at about that time?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                              evolet0680 Level 1

Looks like I have some detective work to do! I know that the usual suspects are Microsoft Office...they seem to have all sorts of problems.

Thanks-- I'll check that out and let you know what I find.

-Erin

• 20. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                StellaFargo

Did anyone ever resolve the "disappearing Photoshop file" issue?  I have Photoshop CS5, Windows 7, 32 bit system, and I have been having this problem for a year.  It always happens with a larger file that I have been saving regularly as I add layers and save a jpeg or png.  Eventually, I get the exact error message listed above about the "file name validity or permission to open" and the file then disappears off of my system.  My work around is to resave under a new file name prior to closing the original. This is "disappearance" is so predictible, I have started saving 2 files and updating both.  Any news on this front?

• 21. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                  Level 5

If you're still adding layers and otherwise editing your file, you should not be saving in JPEG, a format that does NOT support layers

Work in and save as PSD, PSB or TIFF, and only generate a JPEG or PNG as a copy when you're totally done and only if the end result is required to be a JPEG or PNG.

Also, save locally, not across a network.

• 22. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                    StellaFargo Level 1

Thank you for the reply.  I am always saving the original file as psd.  I'm using the psd layers to save file variations as a jpeg or png.  I'm using the psd file much like a image workbook to simplify the creation of similar images for advertising and marketing (use same backgrounds, but change the front image layer).  The psd file gets fairly large as I add new images to layers within the psd file.  I will lose the psd file (but it will save if I change the psd name) when it gives the error message listed above. - I don't save over a network.

• 23. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                      evolet0680 Level 1

Hi!

I never did quite figure out what the exact culprit was, but because of my work, my employer--under the recommendation of the IT department, basically wiped my computer clean. On top of that, there had been a number of "permissions" that were locked down on every workstation due to other people on the network not being careful or particular about downloading files and overloading our server. (I wasn't saving outside of my own workspace at the time, but it didn't seem to matter). Special permissions were written just for my user and basically I was opened up to admin status. It took the combination of both the hard drive wipe and the permissions to set things back in order. The only sad part is that anything I had orgnized to my own liking such as brushes, fonts, tool bars and locations, etc-- all set back to default. It was worth it, though, to get things saving again. They also upgraded me from 32bit to 64bit. Still waiting on the memory upgrade, but things seem to be working MUCH better.

The 2 things that made the most sense to me (but who really knows!) are 1. Photoshop seemed to need a reboot. But uninstalling and reinstalling it wasn't enough. 2. Permissions, even though saying you have admin access (network or no network-- I run across this on my home computer) seem to get wiggy once in a while and need to be reset. Not sure why or how the signals get crossed.However, I am not IT and don't pretend to know the ins and outs-- I know the software only. ALso, doing print files for things like banners, etc-- those can get pretty huge based on the necessary resolution and how in depth the client wants to go on the artwork. That being said, file size didn't seem to make a difference in my case. I would be curious to know if anyone finds a solid answer to why this is happening. It doesn't seem to matter which version of the Creative Suite you have because you are working on CS5 and I currently have CS4.

• 24. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                        StellaFargo Level 1

Thank you for replying back.  It is helpful to know that "file size" is not to blame, because that was my current culprit.  I'm not on a network: I am the administrator, and this has happened on a 32 and 64 bit system.  --- Looks we can actually knock all of those issues out as the cause.    --This was very helpful.  Thank you.

• 25. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                          evolet0680 Level 1

It's a process of elimination isn't it!

If I get any more details from the IT guy, I'll be sure to pass them on.

Thanks for the updates as well!

-E

• 26. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you tried saving as PSB instead of PSD?

-Noel

• 27. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                              StellaFargo Level 1

That I have not tried.  Thanks for the input!

• 28. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

I hope it works out for you.  The PSB format carries everything from the document that a PSD format does.  It just eliminates image size restrictions.  The only downside to using it is that other 3rd party applications you may use that read the PSD format (such as a codec to display image thumbnails) might not read the PSB format equally well.

-Noel

• 29. Re: psd files disappearing in CS4 Photoshop
                                                                  StellaFargo Level 1

I've never used this format, so that is helpful information.  It may work for this situation, because I use this psd file as a "master workbook" to create the web images which are png and jpeg.  It never gets elevated or used with other applications.