3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 5:19 PM by kglad

I still don't get duplication - Is reusing complex MovieClips really the pain it appears?

downhilldread

I was hoping to build myself a library of common templates that I could lift and shove into any subsequent movie but I'm just baffled when it comes to duplicating anything non-trivial.

Example:

An animation needs 15 dancing men. They need different coloured shirts.

I've got myself a MovieClip of a man, all boned up and ready.

Ignoring the difficulty of finding 15 distinct colours I duplicate the Man symbol to get classes and instances of Man2, Man3, Man4...

I go to recolour the UpperArm of Man2, it changes the UpperArm of all 15 men.

I get that UpperArm is still a single symbol in the library shared by all the duplicates of Man so when I edit it affects everyone

I get that this case can be sorted by duplicating it as a new UpperArm2 symbol

I don't get the idea that I'm doing this properly. If it is I have a horrible foreboding of my life turning into an endless succession of clicking Properties, Swap, Duplicate, OK.

I'm really hoping one of you guys is willing to enlighten me on this since I have run totally dry on appropriate search terms.

• 1. Re: I still don't get duplication - Is reusing complex MovieClips really the pain it appears?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you must be editing the upperarm of man2.  while in the man2 movieclip you can use the properties panel to affect the upperarm of only man2 by single (not double) clicking the upperarm to select (not edit) it.

• 2. Re: I still don't get duplication - Is reusing complex MovieClips really the pain it appears?
            downhilldread Level 1

Thanks for your immensely speedy response but I seem to have given a bad example; UpperArm was supposed to indicate a complex MovieClip in itself.

I was trying to come up with an example where you might duplicate a complex symbol from the library which was built itself of smaller library symbols (and possibly they in turn of smaller symbols ad infinitum). If you have created a complicated object and wish to create a second copy you can use duplicate to get two versions of the complex symbol in the library. The lesser symbols, however, remain instances of a single class so any edits to them ripple through all duplicates.

My current question comes from writing a "Match the Question to the Answer" style exercise. I made myself a QandAMatch MovieClip which would have massive reuse value for me but since it is hierarchical in setup you have to clone a chain of 4 symbols for each edit which is not only tedious but also makes the library look like nothing on earth.

• 3. Re: I still don't get duplication - Is reusing complex MovieClips really the pain it appears?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

so, you've found that creating a copy of a movieclip does NOT create copies of all (or any) children.  all movieclip copies share the same children.  that's expected (and desirable) behavior.

what you want is to create instance copies, not object copies. 

to do that either drag that library clip to the stage and then edit the instance's children or, use actionscript to create an instance (after assigning a class to the object) and use actionscript to edit the instance's children.