5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2012 8:58 PM by Arrakis

split layer and pixel poly

Arrakis Level 1

I have made a layer with some text on a black background and I want pixel poly effect to start at a certain time so I have split the layer and added  the effect to the second layer that starts later but when the time indicator gets there the comp just goes black with no effect??     What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: split layer and pixel poly
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to animate the force and gravity parameters. This is no different than how the Shatter effect works.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: split layer and pixel poly
            Arrakis Level 1

I can see the effect if I just put on one layer.  But I want it to start later so I read on creative cow that I need to split the layer and add to the second half.  This is what I did.  I presume when you say animate you mean to keyframe?   It doesnt make any difference if I animate the the force and gravity, it just stays black??

• 3. Re: split layer and pixel poly
              Arrakis Level 1

I still havent managed to work out whats going on here Can someone please explain in detail how to do this. Please speak in laymans terms.  Thanks.

I have had to duplicate the layer and manually move it forward to the point where I want the effect to start and move the other back because in split layer mode my split comp just turns black once the effect is applied.  I can see that the text is still there because the boundary box is there but for some reason it disappears.  If I apply the effect to the first later that starts at the beginning I can see it but not the split one???

• 4. Re: split layer and pixel poly
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't split the layer. Set force to 0, gravity to 0, spinning to 0.  Move down the timeline where you want pixel poly to start then set a keyframe. Move down 4 or 5 frames or even 1 frame, set force to 100, gravity to 1, and Spinning to 1, 0 (these are the default settings) and pixel poly will start animating.

Add pixel poly to a layer it starts animating. Split the layer and it doesn't reset the animation. The only way to do that is to adjust the values and set some keyframes.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: split layer and pixel poly
                  Arrakis Level 1

Thanks Rick, youre a legend