37 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 4:52 PM by Shazzi

Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

kvirtanen

Hi,

I'm trying to process 64 RAW files using Image Processor, and I noticed that Photoshop (x64, I don't have the 32-bit version installed) never closes any of the files after it has processed them. This causes the RAM to fill, and eventually Photoshop to crash. I tried both via Bridge (Tools --> Photoshop --> Image Processor), and Photoshop itself. I have a new system with 8GB RAM, and when I start up Image Processor, Task Manager tells me PS eats away 6.5-7GB of it during the first minute. Shortly after PS crashes.

My updates are up-to-date according to the update manager. I haven't had this problem ever before, so the cause must be the 12.0.4 update (or the one before it). Is there a workaround or an update on the way? Maybe this is a known bug. I found out that people have experienced the same behaviour with CS4.

Kind regards,

Kimmo

• 1. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
          Noel Carboni Level 8

It's absolutely normal for Photoshop to allocate and hold onto the maximum RAM you have configured in your Edit - Preferences - Performance settings.  That's just the way it works.  We've discussed this at some length here on the forum in the past, including participation by Adobe engineers.

RAM "filling" should never cause a system to crash, though it could become starved for resources and ultimately stall or get very slow.  Or are you using the term "crash" loosely?  What's really happening?  Please provide more detail.

What is your maximum RAM limit in Edit - Preferences - Performance?

What else are you trying to run simultaneously with Photoshop, and how much RAM does it all use (Task Manager) when Photoshop is not running?

I'm going to run the Image Processor script on a whole bunch of raw images now just to see if I can see an issue similar to what you're seeing.

It might be helpful if you'd list what kinds of raw images you're processing.  Also, what video card do you have, and is your display driver up to date?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
            kvirtanen Level 1

Hi Noel,

and thanks for the prompt reply.

The issue is not RAM per se. The issue is, that using Image Processor to process 64 RAW files causes 64 tabs to open up in Photoshop -- that is, if PS wouldn't crash before it reaches even 10 tabs. At that point Task Manager shows me that almost all of my RAM is in use. Before updating PS would always close the previous file before moving on to the next one, thus freeing up the RAM for the next file in queue. I could process them individually, but this wouldn't be a permanent solution.

By 'crashing' I mean that Windows gives me the crash report window, and Photoshop closes. Photoshop is the only program I have open.

My MAX RAM is configured to 4300MB. My scratch partition has 60GB of free space.

• 3. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Ah, I understand.

I'm running Image Processor now, and have converted about 200 raw files, without seeing the behavior you described.  In my case the images are opening, being downsized to the dimensions I set, being saved, and being closed.  Photoshop is returning to a blank window with no tabs open between operations.  That does represent a difference from what you are seeing.

Have you installed any replacement for the Image Processor script?  I know Russell Brown released a different version at one point.  I'm pretty sure I'm using the stock one that came with Photoshop.

You might want to look in your Windows Application Event Log (click Start, type event viewer into the search box) and see what module it is that is crashing.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                kvirtanen Level 1

CS5_imageproc.jpg

I ran Image Processor again, and it got to processing six RAW files, left them all open in separate tabs, and now freezed. Task Manager quotes 4.71GB of RAM is in use. PS isn't responding anymore and its window refuses to come on top anymore.

I installed Photoshop a couple of days ago and only ran the recent updates for it.

This is what I could dig up from the Event Log:

Fault bucket 39347419, type 4

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Photoshop.exe

P2: 12.0.4.0

P3: 4d9d8f8e

P4: ig4icd64.dll

P5: 8.15.10.2321

P6: 4d74601d

P7: c0000005

P8: 0000000000d9684d

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

D:\TEMP\WER67F9.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\Kimmo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Photoshop.exe_a6 88b1662c38bebdb85cd4b52839429793aca6b_089d9994

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 7cb81051-4a81-11e1-9422-60d819b2d1f6

Report Status: 0

• 5. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

When you install CS5 on a Windows 7 64bit system the install process installs both the 64bit version and the 32 bit version of Photoshop by default.  When ever I use the Image Procesor Script or Image Processor Pro scripts I never see documents left open in Photoshop.  By any chance are you having the image processor script include any actions you have installed on you system. If so make sure none of them open additional document in Photoshop  or duplicate the active document, if any do make sure the action also closes any document that it added to Photoshop document ring.  The image processor script would probally not notice that your actions added additional documents and not close them.

• 6. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                    kvirtanen Level 1

Hi JJMack,

my action is a simple High-Pass Filter + Curves + Add Noise action. I could try installing the 32-bit version too, but I didn't do that because I have experience on never using it on my 64-bit system. I haven't changed my workflow since I purchased CS5 in July 2010.

I added a screenshot to my post above.

In addition, the action was created an hour ago in the very same version of Photoshop (in case somebody points out a conflict between the 32 and 64-bit version)

I'll try running the image processor without an Action, and see what happens.

• 7. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                      kvirtanen Level 1

I found out a couple of reasons for this misbehaviour:

Photoshop was by default trying to use a very small system partition as the scratch disk. It filled up and caused Photoshop to crash. I don't know if it should be able to do that, but it did. Disabling this small partition from the scratch preferences cured the crashing.

However, Image Processor opened 25 files before I stopped it.

Now, regarding running Image Processor without any actions: Photoshop acts normally again, no tabs are left open. I think it's safe to say the Action was the culprit then.

But it's not just my action. I ran "Wooden Frame", an Action bundled with Photoshop, to my photos, and PS started piling up tabs again.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                        kvirtanen Level 1

Something weird I found out: The "Sepia Toning" action, also a default action bundled with PS, doesn't leave the tabs open.

I think I'll have to investigate how the endings of these scripts differ.

• 9. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

If you look on your system disk you will probally find  "systemdisk:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Photoshop.exe" that is Photoshop 32bit Adobe install process should have install bothe versions of Photoshop.

Please post your simple action so we can look to see if there a problem.  You have been told other do not have the problem your having. So lets look at what you are doing that we are not doing. Many actions others create will dupe a document and update the dupe and leave both document open in Photoshop.

• 10. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                            kvirtanen Level 1

Alright, here's my action:

http://wirtanen.tk/probono/actions_20120124.atn

It's specifically the one starting with the word "Fontys". I would appreciate if you would also try running the "Wooden Frame" and "Sepia Toning" actions on Image Processor to see if you experience what I just quoted above. From my screenshot above you'll see that the tabs contain no duplicates.

When installing Photoshop, I unchecked the 32-bit option from the list of applications. However, I understand that what you're saying: I presume you mean that the 32-bit "core" has to installed also together with the 64-bit one -- am I correct?

I went and searched the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, especially the Adobe folder, and there's no Photoshop CS5 folder in it. Only on the regular, 64-bit, Program Files folder there is a "Photoshop CS5 (64bit)" folder under the Adobe folder. I don't think the 32-bit version is installed -- even as a 'core', but I might be wrong.

• 11. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

I think  your problem is in the actions and not the Image Processoe script.  However the default action I see that comes with CS5 is 'Wooden Frame - 50 Pixels" which would be good for web sized images. However I see no problem in the action other then it plays and other action that has a stop in it so the image processor would become interactive for you would be prompted every time an images is to be  processed.  Neather action adds a documents or duplicate the active document.   If this action causes the problem you may have a problem.  Try resetting your Photoshop preferences

• 12. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                kvirtanen Level 1

I would like to add, just for the sake of completeness, that the ig4icd64.dll file mentioned in the crash log above is the "OpenGL(R) Driver for Intel(R) Graphics".

• 13. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

I see no problem in your action Fontys 2012-01-27 or the action "Grain generator" that it plays please try resetting your Photoshop Preferences.

• 14. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

In that case try turning off OPEN GL support in your Photoshop Preferences in the Performance tab in the GPU setting area un check  Enable OpenGL drawing

• 15. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

If turning off OpenGL ypasses the problem bmake sure you have the latest known good version of your grafic cards device drivers.

• 16. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                        kvirtanen Level 1

Guys, I read your mind and tried those while you were writing Unfortunately those didn't work. I did the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT startup and deleted the preferences. I also switched OpenGL support OFF. It's important to note, that the crashing was solved earlier on in this thread. I can safely say that OpenGL probably doesn't cause the tabs to pile up.

However, I solved it, below is a simple rundown of what's happening. I'll refer to 2 of the actions playing a part in this problem as "A" and "B"

1. Action A runs action B at one point of its course. Action A, as a whole, will cause tabs to pile up, because action B is "embedded" in it.

2. Upon diagnosing the problem, I found out that removing action B from action A's list made this symptom go away.

3. Running Image Processor with Action B ONLY causes tabs to pile up again. Clearly action B is the culprit.

4. Recording a new event at the end of action B and the pressing STOP will not fix this action -- it still leaves file windows open. This is strange, because this is the standard procedure of how actions are recorded in PS.

Important to note is that crashing of Photoshop was caused by a bad scratch disk location (it was full), thus it is not related to this problem.

An interesting note: Action B, the culprit, is called Grain Generator, an action about which JJMack had the following to say:

I see no problem in your action Fontys 2012-01-27 or the action "Grain generator" that it plays please try resetting your Photoshop Preferences.

A truly appreciate the help from you two, but I don't know what to try anymore I would like to try and fix action B (Grain Generator) somehow.

• 17. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

I ran a small test of you action that playe you other grain action. On my 32bit XP system and my Window7 64bit Photoshop CS5 with with ATI GPU drivers.   I only tested using 4 RAW files opening them in TABS and Open them in image windows all I ever saw displayed in Photoshop was a single image window or image TAB.

• 18. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                            kvirtanen Level 1

I apologize, I didn't quite understand the second sentence. So, you first opened the RAW files in tabs, then in windows? And you ran Image Processor in both cases to see if this window arrangement (tabs vs. windows) affects the results? I thank you for trying that out, it wouldn't have popped into my mind.

I feel that the only problem we have left is action "B", and how -- on my system -- it leaves windows open while Image Processor goes through the files. Action "A", when "B" is taken out of it, works perfectly.

Action A was made today, a few hours earlier, and action B is from November 2011. I can't remember the version number of PS CS5 it was made on -- if it even matters. Could be an incompatability between Photoshop versions, right?

I'm interested in fixing action B, but to my understanding it works perfectly fine on your system. Thus, I thank you both for your time, but I think there's not much we can do about this right now. I'm able to process my files in batches of 10, so it's not the end of the world.

I'll report if things change after the next update (if there will be such an update).

• 19. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                              kvirtanen Level 1

New information:

I ran the troublesome action through 10 files, each of which was left open in Photoshop. After completing the task, without crashing, I had 10 processed JPEG files, as expected. However, Photoshop came up with the following error after completing the processing:

SCRIPT ERROR:

Sorry, I could not process the following files:

[List of the 10 files the script/action went through]

The action is doing something very strange here But, as I said, and despite the error, the files were processed successfully, and I'm able to process all 64 of them like this.

But it is because of this error the Image Processor decides to leave the files open -- it thinks it didn't process them!

• 20. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Do check for a display driver update (if you haven't already), as I mentioned in post #1.  Several thiings you have said make me think the display driver could be part of the problem with the images not closing.  Intel display drivers are notorious for causing problems.

-Noel

• 21. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                  kvirtanen Level 1

Alright, I downloaded the latest driver for "2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000". The version number is 15.22.50.64.2509, it's the latest (2011-09-03) according to Intel. What I have now is version 8.15.10.2321 (2011-03-06), provided by Windows Update a couple of days ago. Quite a date difference, go figure.

I'll try updating the display driver and see what happens.

• 22. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Yes, usually the drivers that come through Microsoft have had to go through their WHQL testing, and are usually quite old.  It's almost universally true that more recent drivers from the manufacturer are better.  That's just the nature of the beast, since GPU development is advancing so quickly.

-Noel

• 23. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

The test that I did was I created a test folder.  I copied four RAW files and their ACR sidecar files into that folder.  I opened Photoshop and edited my preferences to have Photoshop open images in TABS.  My Preferences is to have Photoshop open images in floading windows so I can use both of my displays. I then used menu File>Scripts>Image processor and in the Scripts dialog I pointed section one to the test folder. Set section 2 to point to an existing folder. set section 3 to save just a full size jpeg image.  In section 4 I checked run action. I used the pulldown menu to choose your action set and the action pulldown to chose you action theatplayes your other action. Then I clicked the dialog button to run the image processir.  Looking at the display I saw Photoshop open a image Tab saw my first image. Looking At the layers palette I saw color coded layers being added then the image was flattened and the Image Tab closed.  I saw this process repeat for the other three inages in the folder.

I then edited my Photoshop preferences and un checked open images in tabs the way I normally use Photoshop and I ran the test again the test ran just like the first test only the images were opened and close in floating image window not a tab. They open and closed in sequence only one image window was open throughout the test never more then one.

• 24. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

Yes I do no let windows update, update device dirves those updates are useally optional as far as windows update goes.  I also do not update to the newest video drivers when new ones become available.  My farther more then once told me if it ant broke don't fix it.  I not using the latest ATI drivers for the ones I have installed are not causing problems.  I know Noel is using newer drivers then I am.  He also reported the he had problems with some ATI drivers that are newer the the ones I have installed.  He reported which drivers are working for him.  He has a ATI 5600 series card and my card is an ATI 5770 series card. My farther is now dead and I'm retired and finally relize I should have perhaps listened to my farther sooner...

• 25. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                          kvirtanen Level 1

Sorry for the delay in response; the Adobe server for logging in was down for hours.

The reason I'm on the latest drivers is that I made a clean install of Windows 7 a couple of days back.

Regarding the Intel driver I mentioned I downloaded: I had to go another route; the Intel driver "was not validated for this system", so I had to get the latest driver from the manufacturer of the computer -- which kind of sucks, to be honest. Well, anyways, the driver version from the manufacturer is the same I had from Windows Update (i.e. not the latest possible), but I went and installed it anyway -- thinking that maybe it's been "customized" somehow...

Unfortunately it brought no change. Action B still accumulates files while others do not.

I should clarify that the reason why the "Wood Frame" kept accumulating files in the PS main window was that it never finished the process. I tried it to run on pictures that were larger than what it was designed for and thus it stopped mid-process and left the window open.

(BTW: I'm talking about windows and tabs interchangeably here)

"Action B", as I've called it in this thread, does generate a final, processed JPEG, but apparently it doesn't return a confirmation of it finishing to the Image Processor. Without Image Processor knowing that the script finished successfully it leaves the file open.

I see that in File --> Automate --> Batch it is possible to have the process "Save and Close" each file it processes. Maybe it would be beneficial to have a similar function for Image Processor. And not only "just in case" -- the user might actually want to leave all the files open, who knows, but in situations like these a forced closing of a file -- be it finished or not -- would be nice.

I would also like to point out to other people reading this thread that, while this problem can be fixed by simply remaking the troublesome action, I feel finding the cause for it would benefit a lot of people too. Maybe the action was corrupted somehow, maybe PS 12.0.4. has a bug that makes my "Action B" from 11/2011 incompatible -- would be nice to know, huh?

• 26. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

One point I would like to make. I had no problem running the image processor and using your actions that you posted in the thread.  I downloaded your actions you stated you were using and ran the image processor and had it use the actions you reported having problems with No Problem here.....

• 27. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                              kvirtanen Level 1

@JJMack: Alright, that's a clear result right there. Clearly my install of PS isn't working right, if both of you can run my action without a hitch. I shall try reinstalling or repairing my PS CS5x64 first thing tomorrow morning.

Well, second thing -- after morning coffee.

Thank you to you both for helping me find the roots of this issue.

• 28. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                gamin001

Hello,

I have a similar problem with the image processor in Photoshop 12.0.4 that I didn't have before.

When using the image processor from Bridge to convert nearly 300 jpg cr2 and psd images to smaller jpg images, after about 120 images are converted, the rest of the images remain open in Photoshop (after size reduction), they are not written to disk, and Photoshop eventually stops with a "Script Error: Sorry I could not process the following files" window. The interesting part is I'm not using any action other than selecting Save as JPG, Resize to Fit, Convert Profile to sRGB, and adding copyright info. I was eventually able to convert the rest of the files by repeating the conversion (several times) just for the missing files. For several files I had to try multiple times to convert one file at a time until the conversion worked.

Another related bug report I found is: http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/qimage-exposes-photoshop-cs5-(12-0-4)-jpeg-cor ruption-bug/.

All the problems seem to have this in common: Photoshop 12.0.4, image processor, saving multiple JPEG files, and some randomness (i.e. depending on what was done before, sometimes the bug doesn't appear). I'm not certain, but using the sRGB profile may also be a common factor.

Because behavior depends on what was done before, and is not easily reproduced on other systems, I have a feeling this is caused by a PS bug such as a memory overflow or an incorrectly initialized variable. If I'm right, reinstalling PS will not fix the problem. Installing a prior version of PS may fix the problem.

Good luck. Let us know if reinstalling PS fixes your problem.

Martin

• 29. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                  kvirtanen Level 1

Thank you gamin001 for the helpful analysis, this is something I also had in mind -- you were able to put it into words better than me.

I'm now uninstalling PS 12.0.4 64-bit as we speak -- I needed to postpone it, but I now have time to test it again. I'll get back to you soon with the results.

• 30. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                    Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Another thing you might try is to delete the xml file for the image processor.

Go to: C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

and delete the file called Image Processor.xml and see if that helps.

• 31. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                      kvirtanen Level 1

I installed PSx64, and since the installation package is a bit old, my current version is now 12.0, not 12.0.4. I chose to install the x64 version, and the installer automatically checked the 32-bit version too. I unchecked it to only install the 64-bit version and continued with the installation.

My action still accumulates tabs and slows down the computer because of it. Again, this happens with v.12.0.

Settings I tried:

Convert to sRGB on/off

Quality 10-12

Resize to fit off/1024x1024

Include ICC profile on/off

Next, I will uninstall PSx64, and install BOTH 32- and 64-bit versions to see if it makes any difference. I will also try the actions on both versions (12.0)

• 32. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                        kvirtanen Level 1

@R_Kelly: Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately even after a restart it brought no change to the problem... I'll get back to you after trying what I mentioned in my previous message.

• 33. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                          kvirtanen Level 1

Results with PSx64 v.12.0 on a system with also the 32-bit version installed AND results with PSx86 (32-bit) v.12.0:

Image Processor settings:

- Save as JPG

- No resizing

- Quality 10

- Convert to sRGB

- Run Action: "Action B" and also another action I hadn't tested yet.

- Include ICC Profile

- Copyright info (random text)

RESULT: Tabs keep accumulating and slowing down the computer. I noticed that other actions of mine cause this too, not just "Action B". Script alert at the end: "Sorry couldn't process the following files..." Despite the error, all the JPEGs were processed and saved.

I'm using different image files this time, mind you. The conversion is now from JPEG files to JPEG files. At this point I'm not sure if remaking the action would be a permanent solution now that my other actions seem to cause this behavior too. Something strange seems to happen at the end of some actions that prevents fools Image Processor into thinking that the processing failed.

What I'm going to try now is to update both Photoshops to 12.0.4 and see what happens.

• 34. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                            kvirtanen Level 1

Well, this is interesting. This is what I found after updating back to 12.0.4:

The Action B, or my "Grain Generator" action, does not cause the accumulation of files anymore. It did do that prior to uninstalling 12.0.4 and with version 12.0. Now, however, after updating back to 12.0.4, Action A, where Action B used to be embedded in, does cause this accumulation . In earlier messages, taking out Action B from inside Action A cured the problem -- this made us believe the Action B was the culprit. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Thus I conclude that is behaviour is nearly erratic, and has something to do with the following:

-- the update from 12.0 to 12.0.4

-- image processor script

32- and 64-bit versions show no difference in behavior. It also doesn't make a difference whether or not the 32-bit version is installed on the system with the 64-bit one. The actions mentioned above cannot be the cause anymore, because they "switched behaviours" -- now the other action causes the problem while the other doesn't.

What we've tried so far:

-- using 32- and 64-bit versions of PS (12.0 & 12.0.4)

-- uninstalling PS and reinstalling an earlier version (12.0)

-- updating to the newest version (12.0.4)

-- trying out different actions

-- deleting imageprocessor.xml

-- resetting PS to factory settings

• 35. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -

Have you tried different device drivers for your video card and also running with openGL turned off. I know the was suggested in this thread before but  I do not see it in your current list....

• 36. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                                kvirtanen Level 1

Hi JJMack, that's a good point!

I did try disabling OpenGL when you suggested it. The video cards are also the most recent ones available for this system (Intel Graphics). I realize that current doesn't mean the most compatible, so I guess I could try an older driver version. I must mention that even though the my drivers are up-to-date, they're still quite old (around Q2 of 2011) -- but old doesn't mean bad either

I find it interesting that the problem behavior changed after reinstalling 12.0.4. (the problematic actions switched in behavior). Is there some sort of secret debug mode in PS I could use to output a detailed log of everything PS does when this happens? Other than Windows' Event Log?

• 37. Re: Image Processor bug causes PS to crash (CS5, 12.0.4, Win7x64) -
                                                                                  Shazzi

HI All.

I am using PS CS5 and Image Processor would crash after just processing only a few images - it happened whether I ran it from Bridge or Photoshop. After re - installs, driver updates, software updates etc etc.. hours of lost time... you name it - I did it... it seems that the action I was using was causing it. Maybe this will help some of you out there. Try and different action and see what happens. If you find it works ok with a different action then the one you were using was the fault and you need to recreate it or try reloading it.