11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2012 6:29 PM by Jim_Simon

Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD

fhxfhx Level 1

Hi, haven't seen an option in edit/preferences or forum/search or google regarding defining folders (bins) in the project-window and on the hard-disk where for example audio recordings in Premiere would be organized in ... same for movie files created within Premiere ...

is there such an option available ?

• 1. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This really comes down to how a person likes to work, and the level of organization, that makes them most comfortable. There is really no right way/wrong way (within reason), but personal choices.

For the HDD folder layout, this ARTICLE goes into a bit of detail, on how I like to work - however, it is personal to me, and also takes one thing into consideration, that might not be important to you - considering migrating a Project from one computer to computer. I give up some ultimate performance, by keeping things on one HDD. If migration is not a concern, performance can be improved, by placing certain folders onto separate, physical HDD's.

For Bins, it is pretty much the same setup, for me, though the exact Bins, and number of Bins, will fluctuare, depending on my Project, and one the various Assets. I like things compartmentalized, so might have a Video Bin, with several other Bins below that. Same for Audio/Music, or for Still Images. I like to have all of one type of Asset, say Titles (from Photoshop) in one Bin, under Titles, so I can twirl closed all other Bins, but still have everything that I need, at that point in the edit, in my one open Bin. This is especially important, if I will be working on that Project (at least part of the time) on my 17" laptop, where screen real estate is extremely important.

There is no one way to do either, the HDD folder/sub-folder layout, or one's Bins. Mine is but one way, and works for me - those last two words being very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
            Stephen_Spider Level 3

The important thing to remember is that you can move and rename things in your bins at any time, but don't move or rename files on the hard drive once you have imported them into your project. It is amazing how this concept eludes some people.

Also, for the folders that premiere creates when you start a project, don't mess with them. Don't save things in them, and don't delete things from them.

If you import a folder into premiere, it will create a bin of the same name and import all of the contained media that resides in that folder at the time of import. It will not automatically import files added to that folder.

You can have sub bins inside of bins.

I teach users to use the triangle toggles to navigate the bins rather that double clicking on them. New users often lose their place and forget about the up-level navigation button near the top of the project tab. There are posts from users all the time asking where there files went, while they're just looking in a sub bin.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
              fhxfhx Level 1

thx for replies guys, ya i also prefer migrateable setups and also media type bins or folders. but don't know yet how to setup premiere to do so as well when it comes to audio recording within premiere for example, it places the files it produces in the project root and under the hd root of the project ... any idea if that's even possible to setup in premiere ?

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20120129-odoc-43kb.jpg

• 4. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes that is correct.

You will manually have to move the files into a bin both for the project window and the HDD.

If you move them on the HDD they will go off line, which means you have to relink.

• 5. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                  Stephen_Spider Level 3

Select the bin before creating the media.

• 6. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Stephen,

That is my workflow:

1. Create folders under the Project "root folder"
                    2. Create New Project
                    3. Create Bins
                    4. Import into the correct Bins, or Select and Move Assets to the proper Bin

Also, thank you for your cautions, as they ARE very important.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Stephen_Spider wrote:

Select the bin before creating the media.

That works for importing video, creating titles etc but not for recording audio.

• 8. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                        fhxfhx Level 1

ya right, tried out pre selecting bin in proj.-window b4 audio recording, and ya ... Premiere well-behaved wrote to root again.

so ya, then think gotit now with : no pre-setup possible to teach Premiere to store audio files in user created bins (only titles with pre-seoected bin), nor dirs pre-assigning on HD. but organize-dragging in project window after file creation + reorganize on HD (if absolutely necessary) with extra job to "Replace Footage" when back in Premiere. Then of course, if files already there, first organize on HD, then drag into proj-win.

Would be a good thing I think if Adobe enhances a bit and creates a bit more organizing functionality, like 4 example to freely create own bins and assign certain file-types to be housed there by Premiere on HD and in Proj.-Window. For that there could be a good old standard setup, of as Bill already pointed out : music files to Audio / movie files to Video / still Images to Pictures / text to Text / vectors to Vector / etc. ... that'd help getting this cluttering and file-name-convention thinking-and-acting a bit sorted out, since projects can fast have vast amount of files flying around, making you scroll like a hero for every little picking task.

thx guys with answering

• 9. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

You define where video and audio files created by Premiere Pro (previews) are stored on the hard drive with the Scratch Disk settings.

As to organizing files in bins, you do that manually.  As it should be.

• 10. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                            fhxfhx Level 1

wow great ... I always feared those scratch disc folders as dungeons to house cryptic system proxy stuff but less for actual "real files" ...

tested it immediately and yea ... file in there on HD !

Only thing yet is, the path is absolute and wouldn't allow for maunal typing "MyFolder" as a relative path to the current proj. ... is that possibly going to trouble when migrating projects on another computer without re-fiddeling scratch disc locations ... e.g. when starting a new recording on the other machine ?

and, this doesn't affect the proj-window so far ...

tx Jim

Frank

• 11. Re: Defining Folders For Project Window And On HD
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

One option for the Scratch Disk settings is Same as Project.  So they will be stored in whatever folder the project file is in.