3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 1:17 PM by the_wine_snob

How to create and set up clips?

lin_m

I think I am going about this all wrong so could use a little guidance. (Newbie).  I need to creat a Demo Reel.  It will consist of a series of clips from one DVD.  I can get the media onto my project as several VOB files, but within those, I need to break it down into a whole series of 10-30 second clips.  I want to be able to edit and arrange each of theses clips with transistions between. How do I do that?

At the moment, I am converting my Video to a file that QuickTime reads and using that program to break it down and save it into the multiple clips I want.  Then, I bring them into Premiere to edit and arrrange. 

Is there a better workflow?  One totally within Premiere?

thanks for any advice,

Lin

• 1. Re: How to create and set up clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Lin,

My workflow for this type of Project is to Import the VOB's into the Project, and place them onto the Timeline. I do a rough edit, by using the Razor/Scissors Tool to cut each VOB (they are now extracted MPEG-2 files, and are no longer in the VOB container, after Import), Ripple Deleting (Delete and close gap), as I go. When I have pared down the material, I then go about Trimming the resulting material, until I am happy with the edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Being new to PrE, this ARTICLE has some very useful learning resources.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create and set up clips?
            lin_m Level 1

Once I do this, I have a pretty unwieldy timeline.  Is there a way to remove these clips, and save them?  I'd like to be able to take them out, or use 2 different versions of them and maybe re-use them in another project.

• 3. Re: How to create and set up clips?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well yes, but with one major consideration - the format that you Export/Share to.

The VOB contains already heavily-compressed MPEG-2 files.

If you are going to be editing those Exported/Shared Clips, you can limit the Export/Share via the WAB (Work Area Bar), but I would choose DV-AVI as the format/CODEC. Then, just start a new DV-AVI Project, and Import those DV-AVI's into it, for additional editing.

MPEG-2, from the VOB's, is not the ideal editing format, especially if one is going back out to DVD, as that will entail an additional MPEG-2 compression, diminishing quality, one more time.

Good luck, and this ARTICLE goes into more detail on the WAB.