3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 7:51 AM by Rick Gerard

Are Antivirus Programs Really Bad For AE?

Toomany3 Level 1

From the adobe help at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F936D13-E76A-41e4-BF8F-577132AB4723a. html it says

Because antivirus software operates by monitoring every read and write operation, such software can decrease rendering speed, especially with the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously preference selected.

Before I go through and turn off my anti-virus (seems how it's also used for internet use--yeah, yeah, I know...), I wanted to see if anyone has really experienced actual render-time improvements by disabling their anti-virus software.  A lot of what I do is very I/O intensive, which would seem to benefit from from this.

And, as a side question.  What Anti-virus program works best with AE?

• 1. Re: Are Antivirus Programs Really Bad For AE?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depends on the anti-virus software, the version, the system setup. Anti Virus can have no effect or completly kill AE. I haven't managed a windows box in about 6 years so I can't give you any guidance. Maybe someone else could chime in.

• 2. Re: Are Antivirus Programs Really Bad For AE?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, that sentence isn't exactly true. Being a former moderator on the help I should probably have flagged it for revision/ excision long ago.... Anyway, generally: No, modern AV programs do not do any harm - if configured properly.

• Most scanners by default only do read operations. No problem here, as you won't notice on a reasonably fast disk.
            • Each and every one of them has exclusion rules allowing to never touch specific file types and folders.
            • If they do scans on writing, they normally do only in the context of specific programs in combination with your file rules, e.g. scan PDFs, Word documents or archives downloaded via a browser, because they are known to be popular virus carriers. This can be usually configured, also.
            • You can define custom update cycles to avoid install and restarts during render.
            • Pretty much the same applies to extended features such as vaulting/ quarantine, firewall functionality, driver loading etc.

So in summary, all you need to do is spend a little time configuring it all. Of course the scanner itself will consume some resources like memory and CPU, but that shouldn't be too much and in no way reason enough to turn it off completely. Rick has a point, though. Some AV packages are rather pesky and can bog your system down if you install them in their default configuration.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Are Antivirus Programs Really Bad For AE?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for clearing that up. It's been a long time since I've messed with any AV software.