19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 8:45 PM by waterworshipper

Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?

waterworshipper Level 1

New computer 8 GB ram, 64 bits, Windows 7, I figured out how to make videos and I had some help but I can't find the answer to this problem? Has to be a better way? I could spend my life researching this topic and not come across the written material for the answer? I spend $1500 just for this computer to use this program and I am still having problems with it only when I add text. I spent 50 hours on creating a video didn't freeze up once. Then at the end I added in all the written paragraphs of text immediately it started freezing up and kicking me out of the program. Help remember I am a rookie so keep the instructions simple please? 

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Title Fonts http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

If that doesn't help, come back with the DETAILS of the text you are adding, and where you are adding the text

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
            waterworshipper Level 1

Thanks John, I simply went with Adobe Casion Pro text because that is what was set the first time I used text. Question could it be procedural in nature why the program freezes? How is it you set up a plane black panel to paste white text in because I am having trouble with that? Is there a procedural for pasting up paragraphs over lines of text? Maybe thats what I am doing wrong?  

When I start out I use the editing window and I am placing the text in a plan black box or sometimes over a photo. At the bottom of the main window there are sissior, then the letter T for text, and a clock for freeze frame. I am clicking on the T for text and the square appears in the frame and I center and pasting or type in text I am copying or typing. When I am done, I click on done, then save, and move on to the next frame of text usually with in 15 seconds I get a error message saying the program has encounted a serious problem and has to close. It won't happen video unless I use text between videos or photo frames. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong? 

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T., as a problem font is my first thought.

Now, this is not necessarily the font that you are using, but one installed on the system. PrE's (and PrPro's) Titler (the little "word processing" application, that launches from within PrE, is very, very sensitive to fonts - more so than Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and a real word-processing program. Those all might work with the installed fonts, just fine, until you try to use one of the "bad fonts." Even then, and depending on how "bad" the font is, it still might work. Not so with Titler.

Now, when you start Titler, it immediately links to the installed fonts, and that is usually when the crash happens, though not always.

This ARTICLE goes into more detail. I do not think that it is too technical, but let me know if you get lost in it.

One other cause of crashes in Titler is a lack of resources, which include installed RAM, Windows Virtual Memory (the Page File) and available CPU cycles. Remember, Titler is actually an internal application, so that it also needs its own resources, atop those used by PrE. When this is the case, one should exit out of any/all unnecessary programs, running just PrE and Titler. Most computers, and especially new computers, have far more programs and processes, that run at boot up, than are necessary. Mfgrs., like Dell, Gateway, HP, et al, load all sorts of little programs, and utilities, and those use computer resources. For general computing, word processing, e-mail handling, Web browsing, the user does not realize how many resources are being used by that "bloatware," but when they run an intense program, like PrE, and especially along with Titler, the computer just runs out of resources.

One usually gets a few warning, or error messages, often referencing "Resources," or "Memory," before a crash. Did you get any warnings, or errors?

For addressing the possible "bloatware," this ARTICLE goes into more detail, but it is a bit more technical.

I would first look into a problem font(s), installed on the system, as that is the most common cause.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as creating Text (Titles) in PrE, it is pretty straight forward, but if you have not done it before, it might not be so intuitive.

1. First, place the CTI (the Current Time Indicator - little pointer with the red Edit Line), where you will want the Title to be placed.
                2. Look on the Toolbar for Title>New Title>Default Still (the > character denotes drop-down, or fly-out sub-menus, under Title)
                3. That does two things - Opens the Default Still Title (blank Text Title on a Transparent background) with "placeholder" Text, "Add Text" in the Titler Panel, and also shows the Title Panel with Title Templates, plus many of the controls, such as font, size, etc.
                4. In the Toolbox in the Titler, choose the Text Tool (the T), and click-drag it over the "Add Text" area to begin typing in your desired Text. You can also use the controls in the Title Panel to alter the font, size, etc.
                5. When done, that Title will appear in the Project Panel, as an Asset, and will be placed onto the Timeline, where the CTI was located.

Existing Titles can be altered. PrE also has Title Templates, if the additional Functional Content was also installed, and those can be altered in many ways too.

Good luck, and hope that this helps. Here is a look at the Titler (with a blank Title loaded, and the Title Panel:

Titler_PrE_01.png

Note: that image is from PrE 4.0, but will be almost exactly the same in later versions.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                  waterworshipper Level 1

WOW Bill thank you very helpful the instructions were prefect step by step! Is it me or do you have to delete the "Add Text" in the title format when it appears in the frame each and every time? Also a have a 773 word speech I want to post using a rolling format. I will use  a black background using white text can I copy and paste it in a single frame or do i have to use many frames? Then I want to record voice over and match that to the rolling text how do I control the speech? Use the White left and right end caps on the title line and open or move them out ward to make the rolling text longer or shorter? Thank You?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You CAN Delete that placeholder Text, or you can use the Type Tool (the T in the Toolbox), to alter it. The choice is yours. To completely Delete it, go to the Toolbox, and choose the Selection Tool (arrowhead at the top), and click with it, on the placeholder Text. A Bounding Box will appear around that (the Bounding Box will also appear around a Shape in the Title, if Selected. When the Bounding Box appears, just hit the Del/Delete key.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now is probably a good time to discuss Titles, and Instances of Titles.

When one creates a Title, it appears in the Project Panel. When it appears on, or is dragged to the Timeline, one has an Instance of that Title. One can have any number of Instances of that Title. All are linked back to the Title in the Project Panel. That means that if one changes any Instance of that Title, or the Title in the Project Panel, those changes will affect EVERY Instance of that Title. That can be very useful, but can also be confusing, when first encountered.

As an example, say that you have created a Title, that says "Meanwhole Back at the Ranch," sort of like the old silent Western movies. You place that Title between dozens of Clips on the Timeline, but then notice the mis-spelling. Just correct one of the Instances, or the Title in the Project Panel, and ALL Instances will reflect the change from Meanwhole," to "Meanwhile." So far, so good.

BUT, if one wants a different Title, but one based on that "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch," they would NOT edit one of the Instances, or the Title in the Project Panel, as that would change ALL Instances. Instead, go to that Title in the Project Panel, and Rt-click on it, then choose Duplicate. That will create a Copy of that Title, with the word "Copy" postpended to it. Then edit THAT Title, as needed, and those changes will NOT affect any Instances of the original Title. Note: you can Rt-click on the Copied/Duplicated Title, and choose Rename, to make finding it, and identifying it easier. Initially, upon Duplication, it will appear highlighted in the Project Panel, but if you need to easily find it later on, Renaming it should make that task easier. When done making changes to that Duplicate Title, just drag it to the Timeline to create an Instance of it.

Good luck, and hope that helps, plus saves confusion, when you go to alter but one Instance of a Title, without affecting all other Instances.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                        waterworshipper Level 1

Thanks Bill,

The text is now working with your short instruction and no more freezing up whoppeeee !! Do you why my microphone won't work under narration? Window opens but it appears not to be active because its grayed out and you can't use the controls? The mircophone works other wise on my system for sure? 

I will explore what you just sent me thanks again!

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Email Me At: krvguideservice@yahoo.com Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service

Professional Full-Time Guide & Senior Tackle Design Research & Development Engineer/Midwest Division of www.jerrysflies.com

Check out my web site at http://www.kankakeerivervalleyguideservice.com

Find My Video's on youtube Start by Typing "Kankakee River Valley"   

http://www.youtube.com/

To: waterworshipper <krvguideservice@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 11:00 AM

Subject: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please? created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Now is probably a good time to discuss Titles, and Instances of Titles.

When one creates a Title, it appears in the Project Panel. When it appears on, or is dragged to the Timeline, one has an Instance of that Title. One can have any number of Instances of that Title. All are linked back to the Title in the Project Panel. That means that if one changes any Instance of that Title, or the Title in the Project Panel, those changes will affect EVERY Instance of that Title. That can be very useful, but can also be confusing, when first encountered.

As an example, say that you have created a Title, that says "Meanwhole Back at the Ranch," sort of like the old silent Western movies. You place that Title between dozens of Clips on the Timeline, but then notice the mis-spelling. Just correct one of the Instances, or the Title in the Project Panel, and ALL Instances will reflect the change from Meanwhole," to "Meanwhile." So far, so good.

BUT, if one wants a different Title, but one based on that "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch," they would NOT edit one of the Instances, or the Title in the Project Panel, as that would change ALL Instances. Instead, go to that Title in the Project Panel, and Rt-click on it, then choose Duplicate. That will create a Copy of that Title, with the word "Copy" postpended to it. Then edit THAT Title, as needed, and those changes will NOT affect any Instances of the original Title. Note: you can Rt-click on the Copied/Duplicated Title, and choose Rename, to make finding it, and identifying it easier. Initially, upon Duplication, it will appear highlighted in the Project Panel, but if you need to easily find it later on, Renaming it should make that task easier. When done making changes to that Duplicate Title, just drag it to the Timeline to create an Instance of it.

Good luck, and hope that helps, plus saves confusion, when you go to alter but one Instance of a Title, without affecting all other Instances.

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4174075#4174075

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4174075#4174075. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are usually a couple of reasons why a microphone will not work in PrE:

• The mic is not set up properly in the OS - check that it has been
                          • The mic is not set up properly in the sound card's/chip's control console - check that it has been
                          • The mic is not set up properly in PrE - go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware, and check there, plus the ASIO button
                          • The mic does not work with PrE - this often happens with USB mics, though some work, and also some 1/8" connector mics do not, though this last group is rare

What type and brand, is your mic? Remember, many (most?) USB mics do not work in any Adobe software, that supports Audio.

Good luck, and glad that Titles are working well now.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                            waterworshipper Level 1

Bill

The mic phone is a USB style made by Rocketfish

But I will double check the setting up?

Thank You Again,

Captain Bob Santangelo

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Professional Full

Time Guide/Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service & Senior Tackle Design R & D Engineer/MidWest Division of www.jerrysflies.com/Email Bob at

krvguideservice@yahoo.com

Watch my Videos on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone4

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

X your fingers, as some USB mics DO work, but the majority do not. Before you decide that your is one, that does not work, do check ALL of the settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                waterworshipper Level 1

It works yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill is there an adjustment some where I can tweak the microphone sound? Because it sounds tinty it needs some base for sure? Would that be on the program it self or on my computer maybe I'am not sure? 

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Email Me At: krvguideservice@yahoo.com Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service

Professional Full-Time Guide & Senior Tackle Design Research & Development Engineer/Midwest Division of www.jerrysflies.com

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:10 PM

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please? created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

There are usually a couple of reasons why a microphone will not work in PrE:

• The mic is not set up properly in the OS - check that it has been

• The mic is not set up properly in the sound card's/chip's control console - check that it has been

• The mic is not set up properly in PrE - go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware, and check there, plus the ASIO button

• The mic does not work with PrE - this often happens with USB mics, though some work, and also some 1/8" connector mics do not, though this last group is rare

What type and brand, is your mic? Remember, many (most?) USB mics do not work in any Adobe software, that supports Audio.

Good luck, and glad that Titles are working well now.

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4174727#4174727

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4174727#4174727. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you might want to look into the settings, but think that you might be relegated to doing that in post-production. PrE offers several Audio Effects, and Pitch Shifter (think that is in PrE, and will check), might be just what you want. If that does not handle it, then an active EQ (might need to download and install a VST - many are free), to adjust the frequency bands.

Good luck, and glad that things are working. Guess that it worked for both of us to X their fingers!

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                    waterworshipper Level 1

No thank you! So it was Rocketfish USB microphone that we now know works with Adobe. If you find out anything else about the mic settings please send me the steps to adjust it I will also see what I can research?

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 10:49 PM

Well, you might want to look into the settings, but think that you might be relegated to doing that in post-production. PrE offers several Audio Effects, and Pitch Shifter (think that is in PrE, and will check), might be just what you want. If that does not handle it, then an active EQ (might need to download and install a VST - many are free), to adjust the frequency bands.

Good luck, and glad that things are working. Guess that it worked for both of us to X their fingers!

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4175475#4175475

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4175475#4175475. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't give up too easily.

In the Timeline View Mode, locate your VO Audio Clip. Then go to the Effects Panel, and change the display of Effects to Audio Effect, and choose Pitch Shifter. Drag that to the VO Audio Clip. Now, with the VO Audio Clip Selected, go to Edit Effects, and locate Pitch Shifter. Twirl that open, to reveal the parameters. Go to Custom Setup, and make some adjustments, like Pitch rotated to about -4. Listen, and adjust, as necessary. Listen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                        waterworshipper Level 1

Bill,

Definitely on the right track there so I started making adjustment after dozens and dozens of adjustments I got my first original error and the program clicked me out after freezing up.

Yet I had not experienced one problem up to that point? What are all the sound affects adjustments I see like echo and bass buttons how do you adjust those controls and apply them? Seems I could really tweak my voice recording with those adjustment but when I tried it but made no difference in the voice sound? Certainly I am doing some thing wrong again. Humm?

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:42 AM

In the Timeline View Mode, locate your VO Audio Clip. Then go to the Effects Panel, and change the display of Effects to Audio Effect, and choose Pitch Shifter. Drag that to the VO Audio Clip. Now, with the VO Audio Clip Selected, go to Edit Effects, and locate Pitch Shifter. Twirl that open, to reveal the parameters. Go to Custom Setup, and make some adjustments, like Pitch rotated to about -4. Listen, and adjust, as necessary. Listen.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176270#4176270

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176270#4176270. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Some of those Audio Effects are basically Presets, but some have adjustments, just like Pitch Shifter. I just depends on which ones you choose.

Do not recall anyone having crashes/hangs with Pitch Shifter, so it might be system, or Project-specific?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                            waterworshipper Level 1

OK thanks I will play with it some more.

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:33 PM

Some of those Audio Effects are basically Presets, but some have adjustments, just like Pitch Shifter. I just depends on which ones you choose.

Do not recall anyone having crashes/hangs with Pitch Shifter, so it might be system, or Project-specific?

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176708#4176708

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176708#4176708. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9  Videos Rookie Here So Speak English please?
                                              waterworshipper Level 1

Bill,

I finally figured it out the adjustment was reverb and treble levels and the tininess was over come much better.

Could you cut and paste my questions below and answer them one by one?

1. Question before I do anything I record the sound track first correct its easier that way? 

2. When I make a sound effect adjustment

a. I need to go to the editing. 

b. Click on video effects and changed that to audio effects.

c. Highlight the sound track on the narration track line first.

d. Is it necessary to drag the change to the sound track on the narration line for each change, like drag over reverb and adjust

then drag over trebel adjust click done, etc, etc?

3. So then once I make a microphone adjustment clicking on done saves that adjustment for good? Or click Save at the top?

4. Is it a problem to record segments of voice narration like one paragraph at a time then splice them together? That is not an issue is it?   

I have an email out to the, late great Eva Cassidy sister Laura to get a permission to use Eva's recorded version of Autumn Leaves for the back drop music on this project?

5. What would I do input the sound track and drag and drop it on the music track and then adjust the length so it fits the length of the project?

6. By the way can I adjust the music sound level separately from everything else? I just need it playing softly in the back ground?  

Thanks Bill you deserve a raise!

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

From: Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:42 AM

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176270#4176270

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4176270#4176270. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.