12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 1:29 AM by Robert J. Johnston

Prem Elem 10

abbottlee

"No burner detected"

PShop Cs5 has been installed recently.

Is it the cullprit or is it the Cyberlink burning sw?

The burner works well.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

• 1. Re: Prem Elem 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Could be. Could also be the presence of a program like Nero, which doesn't share drivers well.

Are you able to burn your DVD to a folder on your hard drive successfully? If so, you can use your DVD burner software (or, even better, the free download ImgBurn) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc.

• 2. Re: Prem Elem 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For the burner issue, take a look at this ARTICLE. It cites some common causes for the inability of PrE (and other Adobe programs) to see a burner.

I have several burning utilities on my workstation, along with Nero (but without it's packet-writing module, or it's "watcher" module), several NLE programs, and both PrPro 2.0 (has authoring/burning capabilities, almost identical to PrE's) and Adobe Encore (full-featured authoring software), and they have no problem seeing my Plextor, or my LG multi-drives (both with latest firmware updates).

While there are plenty of programs, that will "hide" the burners from PrE, such as Nero's InCD, Roxio's DLA, Quicken's Backup-to-disc, and others, most apps. do play fine. The problem comes when elements of certain software load at bootup, and "hook" the burners, basically telling the OS that they are NOT burners, but are, in fact, HDD's. That is what InCD and DLA (and Quicken's Backup-to-Disc) are all about - drag-and-drop file burning. That is the problem.

Now, ImgBurn, the great burning utility, that Steve mentions, goes about things differently, than Adobe programs do. It bypasses what the OS says about a burner, and goes to the hardware itself. It surveys the computer at the hardware end, and just finds the burner(s). Steve's suggested workflow of using PrE to Burn to Folder, and then using ImgBurn to burn to disc is a good one. First, it should get your Projecct burned, unless there is some other problem, and second, it is a test to make sure the PrE, or the burner, do not have an issue. The one problem is that this workflow will only work for DVD, as PrE cannot yet Burn to Folder for BD.

When you use Steve's workflow, I recommend one other aspect - use the best blank media possible, such as Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden, or Falcon Pro media. Do not use Memorex, TDK, Ritek or any "store brand." Those other suppliers often have totally bad discs, at an alarming rate, so you might be fighting against bad blank media, and one never wants to introduce another possible problem into a test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Prem Elem 10
              abbottlee Level 1

Thank you Bill.

I had read the ARTICLE prior to your reply.

However, I feel it’s an issue Adobe must address.

I do agree with you about quality blank DVDs.

Stay with the quality brand names.

Thanks again.

Nick.

• 4. Re: Prem Elem 10
                abbottlee Level 1

Thank you Steve

No problem with hardware.

I’m saving to folder and then burn the TS file from there.

Surely Adobe has to fix this??

Nick.

• 5. Re: Prem Elem 10
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it's mostly a Windows thing. This problem is non-existent on the Mac.

But it's very common on any Windows machine with Nero installed.

Do you have Nero?

• 6. Re: Prem Elem 10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, Adobe will be hard pressed to fix what a user might install onto their computers, whether it's software, or hardware. At least there is an easy fix - uninstall the packet-writing software, or Burn to Folder and use ImgBurn. That latter method has several pluses: one can then adjust the burn speed down, for better burns, and they can also test the VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD software player, such as CyberLink's PowerDVD. Oh, there is one other little feature and that is that ImgBurn will tell you who actually made the blank disc, and what the lot number is.

The issue in Adobe fixing other software hooking the burners at boot up, is not really something that they have any control over. The authoring functions in PrE, and also Adobe Encore, are licensed from Sonic. Until Sonic changes the way that its burning engine interfaces with the hardware, taking it away from the OS, there is nothing that Adobe can do. Now, I do not see Sonic doing that, as they concentrate on development for their US$65,000 DVD authoring program, Sonic Scenarist, and their US$250,000 BD authoring program (much of that price due to Sony's licenses covering BD production, and the necessary Sony controlled Copy Protection). Note: those are the approx. prices of the two programs, with their full compliment of modules. Still, really big money.

Good luck, and sorry that PrE can't see the burner, through the OS.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Prem Elem 10
                      abbottlee Level 1

Not Nero.

Ashampoo AND some Cyberlink sw installed on the pc when I bought it.

I’m going through the process of illumination. It’s not Ahampoo!

• 8. Re: Prem Elem 10
                        abbottlee Level 1

Thanks all the same Bill.

I’ll press on.

Nick.

• 9. Re: Prem Elem 10
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

• 10. Re: Prem Elem 10
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow one to burn to an ISO (Image File), but for DVD, only, DOES allow one to Burn to Folder. Other than the "encapsulated" aspect, that is the same as an ISO. Now, if one needed an ISO, they could Burn to Folder, and then use ImgBurn to create an ISO from the VIDEO_TS folder. Another difference between the authoring functions of Encore and PrE is that with BD, PrE cannot yet Burn to Folder, like Encore can.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Prem Elem 10
                              abbottlee Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for all the tips for the use of ImgBurn. All is well.

I can’t get it out of my claw that Adobe can’t fix this issue. How many pcs out there would be running Prem Elem 10 with the same problem? Apple must do very well out of this.

Nick.

• 12. Re: Prem Elem 10
                                Robert J. Johnston Level 2

I once used Microsoft Fix It to repair a DVD burner issue: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/