11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 6:06 PM by jrothra

PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated

jrothra

This post may be a bit long, but I want to provide as much information as I can.  To begin, here's the system data:

Software

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Computer

Hard drive space available: 440+ GB

RAM: 6 GB (2 GB still free even while running PrE and Firefox)

Camera/How Videos Recorded

Model: JVC Everio GZ-HM320

Video format: H.264

Video bitrate: 17.00 Mbps

Size/quality: 1920 x 1080 (full HD)

Video system: NTSC

Frame rate: 29.97 fps

Format recorded: .mts

The Problem

When I upload the videos to YouTube (YT), PrE goes through the normal process of rendering them, then uploading.  YT then processes the videos like it usually does.  However, the result is a pixelated video.  To determine if it was a YT issue or possibly on PrE's end, I tested the same exact video, uploading it using the Everio MediaBrowser HD Edition (EMB) software that came with the camera.  It does not seem to go through a "render" process (at least none that it shows).  Thus, if the problem is YT, the results should be the same.  However they are not.

Sample Videos

PrE Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFTSUcq5lE

EMB Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8JzZFXyKM

The video was fillmed in dimmer light, which the camera doesn't handle perfectly (it's not a movie studio camera).  However, when you watch the two (especial watching the baby's right hand around time index 0:17), you'll noticed the PrE version is grainier than the EMB version.  Just for comparison, here's an "instant movie" we did using the outdoor fun theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqMKVpZZeQ.  The only change to the settings for that theme was adjusting the volume slider so that the video's audio was emphasized instead of the soundtrack (didn't do that very well, but that's another issue).  As you can see, it's quite pixelated, though it was uploaded using the same setting as the sample video mentioned above.  My YT channel has other HD videos uploaded from the same camera using EMB for further comparison.

When I uploaded using PrE, I selected "High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920x1080" from the drop down menu after selecting YT.  The settings it displayed that it would use matched precisely the video's default settings:

File Type: H.264

Frame Size: 1920 X 1080

Frame Rate (fps): 29.97

It seems that PrE does something when rendering the video that causes the heavy (or heavier) pixelation.  Is there a fix?

Message was edited by: jrothra

• 1. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The key is in setting up your project. When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? If you selected the correct project settings, based on your source video, you should see no red lines above your clips when you add clips to your timeline. Is this the case in your project.

Setting up your project correctly is key to having a successful editing session and getting good output results.

Everios have their own unique challenges. But the Everio GZ series usually work their best when you select the settings for Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder, Full HD 1080i 30.

For more information, see my books or the first couple parts of my free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 2. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
            jrothra Level 1

I use the default settings for projects, which are:

PrESS.PNG

Red lines?  There are red lines over a small portion of the total clips, as seen here:

PrESS2.PNG

However, the entire thing is pixelated, not just the red parts.

I tried importing the files two ways: direct from the camera by selecting ""Flip, AVCHD, Cameras, Phones or Removable Drive" (the one for my type of camera) and by choosing "Files and Folders" where I had already saved the files on the hard drive (no chanes to them, just moving them from the camera to the HD).  It made no difference using either method, the PrE project results were the same.

Regarding the lessons to which you refer, they are for PrE 7 and 8, two and three versions old.  My understanding is many changes were made between 8 and 9, thus making 9 and 10 quite different.  From what I've see, 10 added many new features, including the ability to work with a wider selection of cameras and more versatility in uploading to online systems (though it still lacks Vimeo as an available service).

• 3. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason for the red line overy that one Clip, near the end is because an Opacity Keyframe has been added (that little "diamond"). I do not know if you intended to add that Keyframe, or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                jrothra Level 1

I didn't do that on purpose.  Would that explain the red line over the two short clips?

• 5. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It could? I did not notice those, but then was looking at the screen-cap on my laptop, and probably just missed them.

If there is no mis-match between the Source Footage and the Project's Preset, then the reasons for a red line will be:

• Some sort of overlay, has been placed above that Clip - could be a Title, a PiP (Picture in Picture), or perhaps another Clip, with some Transparency, etc.
                  • An Effect has been added
                  • One of the Fixed Effects, Opacity, Motion, Rotation, or Volume (with Audio), has been adjusted. In this case, just adding a Keyframe constitutes an "adjustment," even if the parameter(s) has/have not been altered.

I have accidently added Keyframes, and usually by click-dragging on the wrong part of the Clip, i.e. the "rubberband" for whichever Effect is being displayed - Opacity in this case.

This ARTICLE also goes into more detail on the red, green and yellow (only in later versions of PrPro) lines, what they mean, and how to Render, if necessary, to get everything to green.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I do see those little red lines. They appear to be right at the point, where two Clips butt up. Maybe zoom into one of those spots, and do another screen-cap, so that we can see what is on the Timeline, at that/those point(s). Just missed them before.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                      jrothra Level 1

I could be wrong, but I think we may be getting off point a bit from my original question: pixelated video despite settings being correct.  If the cause was related to the red lines over certain clips, wherein those red lines indicated some sort of conflict, then I would expect only those portions of the video would be distorted.  However, the entire video is distorted: red bar, green bar, or no bar, it's all pixelated.  Thus, I suspect that it's less related to the red bar issue since there seems to be no consistent correlation (but again, I could be wrong).

Message was edited by: jrothra - spelling/missing words/clarity

• 8. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                        jrothra Level 1

Here's the screen shots of those two tiny red sections, though:

First section:

PrESS3.PNG

Second section:

PrESS4.PNG

• 9. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. The red line only indicates that playback of that section of the Timeline will not be the ultimate. In many cases, I will have red lines above the entire Timeline, and never bother to Render because playback is good enough. Their presence will have zero affect on the output quality. They are indicators for playback only.

As for the pixelation in YouTube, looking at your Timelie, I would say that you can probably safely rule out a mis-match between your Source Footage and your Project's Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have not observed that little "swooshy" arrow symbol, that appears in the the two tiny Clips, with the red lines. Not sure what that is, but am sure that someone does know, and I will then learn something.

• 10. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                            jrothra Level 1

I'm going to attempt uploading a video filmed 100% outdoors.  Weather: partly cloudly, low 70's.  Beautiful day!

• 11. Re: PrE 10 renders and/or uploads to YouTube pixelated
                              jrothra Level 1

I uploaded one from outside.  The only thing I added was transitions between scenes.  Here's the results (and I'm not happy with the low quality Adobe's software is producing when a free software that came with the video camera uploads much better quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2BjPsI2uc