• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to use or find more than five colors?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello 🙂

Is it possible to find a harmony of eleven colors in adobe kuler?
And if it - is how can I do this?

greets Jasmin

TOPICS
Colors , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Hello Jasmin,

Kuler does not support more than five colors as of now. It would be great if you can talk about a few workflows where you find having more than five colors useful.

Regards,

Kuler team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jasmin,

Kuler does not support more than five colors as of now. It would be great if you can talk about a few workflows where you find having more than five colors useful.

Regards,

Kuler team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add to this discussion. As a brand designer along with defining color usage, across ui, print, etc., I distribute and manage access to our brand standards. Currently we share .ase files via a centralized brand site. If we could share these via Kuler it could be great. We also create pallettes that are more extensive than 5 colors. My thinking would be that we would initially create a pallette in one of the CC apps (illustrator, fireworks, indesign, etc.) and sync the pallette to kuler so that anyone within our organization or externally would always have the latest version of our color systems. Beyond that it would be great if we could grant access to people within our organization permissions to edit or not. Maybe this is built into CC in some way, if so I'm not familiar.

Best,

Tyler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am rather shocked at this 5 color limitation. Every company I've ever worked at has a palette of at least 10 colors they use all across the board.  Please add the option to expand this, I find it insanely shortsighted that this is not allowed. The workaround is easy enough (multiple sets) but this seems so incredibly unnecessary and disjointed. I also find it odd you can't name these colors individually, why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LucidLethargy,

Thanks for the perspective. 

Kuler is focused almost entirely on color inspiration.  Our philosophy has been that 5 colors is a good jumping off point--and, adding more colors would move the focus away from inspiration and more towards production.  I genuinely want to know if you agree or disagree with this line of thinking?

All that said, there is still probably room in Kuler for more colors or some sort of deeper view of each theme.  And, I defnitiley think this is something we should investigate further. 

Looking forward to your response.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was attempting to use Kuler as a means to unite all the adobe programs around my color templates. With this use in mind, I was definitely interested in seeing the option to add more colors. Strangely enough, however, I've learned Kuler doesn't sync with photoshop CC (you can save to the web from it, but you can't download to PS from Kuler,) so I'm not entirely sure how useful this is to me. I have to manually download the profiles and drag them into the swatches category in order to use them, which to be fair is pretty useful (better than me manually entering them) - but it's a far cry from the ideal cloud-based organization structure of having your pallette's right where you need them in all your adobe applications.

My two cents: Adobe needs a much more comprehensive overhaul for tieing in professional pallette's. This may be Kuler, or it may not... either way, I see no difference thus far between using the products as I used to and using the creative cloud. When I think of cloud-based products I think of everything I need being tied to my account. Currently that's not possible with colors, it seems.

For what it's worth, I think it's implemented very well in InDesign, so with that respect I think Kuler is great save for the limitation of 5 colors. Perhaps it's worth having a "create" category, and a "library" category - that way you can label each color and save them in any amount you wish for retention of your current pallette's. I think that would be really cool - and if it was tied into Photoshop the same way it is tied into InDesign it would be nearly perfect. Seems like a relatively small tweak to the overall structure with a big payoff for us professionals if it can be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful.  Thank you for hte input LucidLethargy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I agree with all post of that feed, even if the first intent of Kuler was to capture and share some "cool" mood about color harmony for a Designer, it's a so cool and smart tool and environment that I'm confident that Adobe can't restrict Kuler in managing only 5 swatches at a time.

But in the other hand, it would be great if you can extend the tool allowing to name each swatch, selecting the default color schemas (rgn, hex, Lab,...) but also by extending the support of .ase files in AdobeBridge, AEM Dam, or even desktop explorer I'm order to manage/Crete a thumbnail of the "color swatches" natively.

In my opinion, once again, as often at Adobe, it's a very cool app issued from the developers creative team, but which is not pushed enough at a "professional" usable level.

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree. What is missing at this point is that being able to create brand palettes and sync them via cloud. Saving swatches on my computer is nice but it contradicts with Adobe's cloud first mentality. Being able to load color schemes from CC libraries much like any other asset would be extremely helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kuler is a very kul tool. I have been experimenting with it on my iPhone and really want to incorporate into workflow. If you are doing branding, you have primary color themes and secondary themes. This is often going to amount to more than 5 colors. Often, a designer knows that they have to create a specific number of colors for a design project (maybe a set of icons or something). 5 is just not helpful for the way designers work. I understand that Kuler was initially intended as inspiration but the minute you decided to integrate with Adove apps and carry themes into the apps to use, it's way beyond inspiration. A color inspiration tool that can go right into practical design is needed and if that is Kuler, you seem like you are most of the way there already. Thanks for being open to feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a financial site that requires multiple colors for graphing.  I like the idea of using our color palate as a starting off point to create charting colors but I need far more than 5 colors.  The trick of doing this right is to base the charting colors that work with the color palate and just don't look like random colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, im a designer of apps, games, webs and brands in general.

I've just recently found the integration of Kuler in Illustrator and love it!

A option to add more colors in Kuler in combination with a extended Adobe suite integration would make Kuler a must have for every project since you that way can avoid having to manually set up a color scheme for every new project and the hassle to sync that color scheme between the products in your suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create color spectrums for pollution / solar irradiation maps. They often contain more than 12 colors per chart. So hell yeah we need more than five swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah!! Please make it possible to add more colors!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One example for a workflow where I use up to 9 colors at times is t-shirt screen printing.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tommy,

This is actually a super great example of why it's a needed feature.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised that Adobe needs to ask this - it seems so obvious! - but here are some reasons 🙂

1. As a textile designer I used to create palettes of more than 5 colours all the time; a single print could have 5, 10, even 20 colours. A seasonal design palette (including that print, plus say, knitwear and leather) might have a lot more, including shades of each colour.
  2. Currently working on a user interface colour project for an app, and need to create several palettes of 10 colours each, that look very different to each other.

Adobe colour is a wonderful app, but the 5 colour limitation is so crippling it makes it more or less unusable for me. I'm actually curious to understand in what discipline just 5 colours is actually enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 5 color limitation makes it unusable for a lot of uses such as data chart generating, extensive brand guidelines, illustration guidelines, etc.

This question was asked over 8 years ago... nothing seems to change.

What other tools have you guys been using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been using www.coolors.co. It has a useful add-in for Adobe softwares. It’s worth giving try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It would be great if you can talk about a few workflows where you find having more than five colors useful."

Gee, when in the world would it ever be useful with more than five colors? 🙈

I am making 2D animations for a kids show. I am working in Illustrator and After Effects.

I need to organize my colors in categories; some for characters, some for objects/vehicles/etc., some for the backgrounds in different themes/settings, etc. I would love to have my colors neatly organized in different groups; as a big color map to make it easier to keep my palette uniform during the production.

Five colors per group is therefore extremely limiting and impractical.

Also it would be very handy to be able to simply double click a color to copy the HEX values, since the eye dropper tool in AI and AE wont sample outside the program window.

I've spent hours now trying to find a good solution. Adobe Color is ALMOST there, but I won't use it because of this weird five-color-limit.

I've seen some online solutions, but I would like to be able to save my palette offline. I'm surprised at the lack of simple and practical solutions to this. What on earth are other designers doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a UX designer, I'm not only creating a UIs for sites with a 5 color pallet but sometimes I'm required to intoduce user customization into my site/apps that allow the user to select their own color to represent a category. An example of this might be a calendar app where assigning unique colors to different calendars would be done by the user.  A range of colors that match the over all look and feel of the app/site is very appealing, even if choice is given to the user to select their own color. 

In any case, it would be nice to be able to generate more than a limiting 5 colors.  

Great app BTW. I use it all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am part of a team of designers working together across multiple clients with multiple colour palettes. I thought Adobe colour would be a great alternative to using libraries to share client colour specifications within a team and across multiple Adobe apps. However, it is restrictive in terms of the amount of colours that can be added as many of our clients have colour palettes that exceed 5 across primary and secondary brand colours. This could be very powerful in terms of being as design tool rather than a tool for inspiration only which seems limited and pointless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need more than five colors for the web site accahc.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Kuler is very sensitive tool. It is really useful.

Thank you for hte input LucidLethargy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was 7. Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines