8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 3:01 PM by nealeh

Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?

Psalmos

My clips are HD 720p quality. But final export is using rendered input quality 768x576 only. Is there a possibility to change this? If not, is it possible with vers. 10?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are dozens of options for outputting your video.What do you plan to do with the vide you're outputting? Burn it to a disc? Share it online? Post it to YouTube? Watch it on an iPad or smartphone?

Which ideal Share option you use depends on what you plan to do with your final video output.

Also, what model of camcorder is your original video coming from and which format is it? Properly setting up your project for your source video is the key to getting great results in your output.

• 2. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
            Psalmos Level 1

Hi Steve,

thank you. My problem is not the output option. My clips are stills and videoclips 1280x720, 29fps, 10.8 MBit/s from a Fujifilm HS10.

I choose output preferences as shown below  (in German):

MPEG2, PAL,1280x720, 29,97 fps, Quality 4,7, MIN 8,21 AVER 14,16, MAX 20,61 MBit/, progressive. 1-Pass.

The program is noticing

"SOURCE 720x576, 25 fps, lower first" wich is just the setting in the project preferences (see below).

Of cours the quality starting from this format is worse than the original. In former times, when working with Premiere (professional version) I always set project and export identically in order to guard quality. Here, with Elements 9,  I am unable to set project options accordinng to my export desire.

The resulst are stripes at the edge of fast mooving objects. So, is it possible to change the project settings to 720p? When reading the manual for Premiere Pro I saw, that here it should be possible of course.

Best regards

Rolf

Export-settings.jpg

Project-settings.jpg

• 3. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
              nealeh Level 5

Unfortunately neither PRE9 or PRE10 allow you to change project settings. If you get it wrong (as you have by importing HD clips to an SD project) you must start again with a new project using the correct project settings. Note though that apparently the third party clipboard manager 'clipmate' can allow you to cut from one project and then paste it to a new.

Also you have created a PAL project (25fps) but are then exporting to an NTSC format (29.97fps). Is that what you intended ?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

How do you plan on delivering the output files?

With a SlideShow (no Video), that will determine what you will want for your Project Preset, when you start.

Also, with Still Images, the highest quality will come from choosing that output setting, and using that as the Project's Preset, and then by doing any Scaling of the Still Images in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or another image-editing program and NOT using PrE to Scale the Still Images. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
                  Psalmos Level 1

With Premiere Elements, it's like getting married. A crucial errors at the beginning may spoil everything.

With clipmade I didn't succeed on the spot. So I left it and shall live with this quality.

And I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks to everybody (except ADOBE).

Rolf

• 6. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
                    nealeh Level 5

Psalmos wrote:

With clipmade I didn't succeed on the spot. So I left it and shall live with this quality.

Look here: ClipMate Premiere Elements Copying Between Projects

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 7. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
                      Psalmos Level 1

I did it as described in your link. In the new premiere.prel with the correct settings, I linked to the proper catalog and opened the workspace on the sceneline to the length I needed. Then import was possible.

During the import Premiere asked for a huge amount of memory (seen in task manager). While normally it works with  115 MB and goes up to 250 MB when rendering, it now took more than 600 MB (2GB installed).

At the moment I am working - very fine - on a little ACER One D257 netbook with Atom N570 processor (don't laugh, please).  The CPU was almost idle (around 10%), but pasting took an enormous time, leading to some warnings in Windows 7 Starter.

There must still be some information missing, although the the clips and all where in the sceneline afterward. As I tried to render, the program missed  some information about the number of links and did strange things. But saving the movie with my settings as described above in the picture worked fine and fast: about 30 minutes for a film of 6 minutes. When I remember my first video with Premiere and a 300 MHz Mac in 1998...

Thank you, nealeh, you helped me a lot.  Slightly different from your slogan and regarding my age of 65, I would say:

Knowledge is hereditary, you get it from your children

Kind regards

Rolf

• 8. Re: Vers. 9 source quality better than S-VHS possible?
                        nealeh Level 5

I'm pleased that it all worked out for you. Happy movie making !

Cheers,

--

Neale