4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 11:11 AM by Toomany3

You have $6000 for a system, What do you buy?

Toomany3 Level 1

I need to build a render beast for Cinema 4D, After Effects and Premiere projects.  Budget is $6000.

We are looking at overclocking two Intel Xeon X5690s (4.1Ghz-ish) on a SR-2 board with 64GB ram, Nvidia GTX 580 card.

Can we do better than this?  Do any of the Sandy Bridge chips do better (are cheaper?)?

Hopefully Harm can chime in!   What's the best we can do?

• 1. Re: You have $6000 for a system, What do you buy?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If that's all you have for a budget, I would start out with the warrior system here:

What PC to build.png

and overclock it to around 4.4 GHz. Additionally, I would add even more disks for a larger array with one or two hot-spares, and when you add it all up, including fans, BR burner, 4 GB cache on the Areca and a BBM, possibly a switch for dual teamed NIC's to the other systems and maybe a UPS, your budget is depleted. Dual Xeons are way too expensive and will not fit in this budget, unless you cut corners on the disk setup and memory. There is no doubt a dual Xeon system is fantastic, but if you look at the Juggernaut system that leads the pack in the PPBM5 benchmark, that is a $ 20K system.

• 2. Re: You have $6000 for a system, What do you buy?
            Toomany3 Level 1

Harm, thanks as always!

We have a lot of the other stuff around here (hard drives, UPSs, BR burner, etc.) so we're not really factoring in some of those things.

In your expert opinion, would going to two overclocked Xeon X5690s be significantly better than a single overclocked 3930K?  Is the BFTB factor there?  Or, for the savings, is the 3930K a much more responsible decision.

I guess what I'm saying is, if a render on a 3930K takes 2 hours and on a X5690 (x2) system it takes 1, it would be worth it to me.  If it is 1:55 on the X5690, than it's not worth the $2500~ USD price difference to me.

(I know the above example requires more factors to be considered, but assuming all else equal (memory, SSD, raids, etc.)).

• 3. Re: You have $6000 for a system, What do you buy?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I would like to add that the improvement between the dual Xeon and the single processor system suggestion on Adobe Premiere Pro is more likely 1.1 or less.  But the factor not tested is your other software.  Also be careful comparing CS5 and CS5.5 results in our database.  Due to an Adobe change in Premiere CS5.5 scores (specifically the MPEG2-DVD encoding score) are always higher than CS5 scores.

• 4. Re: You have $6000 for a system, What do you buy?
                Toomany3 Level 1

Also be careful compaing CS5 and CS5.5 results in our database.  Due to an Adobe change in Premiere CS5.5 scores (specifically the MPEG2-DVD encoding score) are always higher than CS5 scores.

AHhh... Very good to know.  Thanks!

My goal is to be #1 on there SOME DAY!   Hopefully some day soon.  But I don't have $20k to throw at it. :/