4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 6:00 AM by Michael L Hale

Scripting/automating question

tbush04

I am on a mac using CS5 and I do a lot of repeated tasks at my company and I'm looking to minimize the time in doing these tasks. We produce digital mock ups of our products to show in our catalogs and website. The first image is our digital template that we multiply art onto and the second image shows final image. We several digital templates that we apply art to. Our art to be applied is in photoshop and illustrator.

Is there a way to automate or script this? I have played around in actions but can't get it to transform correctly. I have also played around with Mac Automator + robot photoshop. All the information I can find is how to apply changes to a single file and nothing on pulling images from one file to another. Ideally I would like a "hot" folder that I can drag a file into and the final catalog image is produced.

I'm new to scripting but willing to learn it to get some of these tasks minimized so we have more design time.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tara

Picture 3.pngPicture 4.png

• 1. Re: Scripting/automating question
          Muppet Mark Level 5

Scripts can automate many things in Photoshop doing the couple of steps required for this is scriptable… To just do this on a single instance of adding a file to to folder is not going to prove much of a time saver IMO… Doing it to a folder of files may prove more worth your while…

I'm new to scripting but willing to learn it to get some of these tasks minimized so we have more design time.

Yeah I fell for that one too… learning to script time ate up all the design time… and some more and doing so…

• 2. Re: Scripting/automating question
            Michael L Hale Level 5

I don't know about the Illustrator side but from the screen shots you posted I think this can be scripted. Depending on how the template is set up you may have to make some slight change such as adding a path for the plate. But you really didn't give enough information about the workflow for me to give you suggestions or code snippets.

I don't use Mac but from what I understand it is a lot eaiser to set up hot folders on that OS than on Windows.

• 3. Re: Scripting/automating question
              Muppet Mark Level 5

Mike, if the artwork is Illustrator *.ai then just use PDF open options… The mac could use an AppleScript wrapper to make a Folder Action Script…

• 4. Re: Scripting/automating question
                Michael L Hale Level 5

I meant that I couldn't help with scriptling Illustrator. Yes *.ai or *.eps files are no problem. However I would use scriptlistener to make a 'Place' function. Depending on the workflow details it could be possible to add the image to the template and transform into place with that step.