3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 2:12 PM by Peter Spier

Step and repeat with a mail merge

ChristianJT101 Level 1

I have a label which involves a fair bit of design. I want to mail merge the label so it has 10 rows and 3 columns.

I know how to do this with 1 label (that is, if I want 30 versions of the same thing) via step and repeat.

However, I don't understand how I can step-and-repeat a label that has merged content in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Step and repeat with a mail merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You do a multiple records per page merge and set the spacing in the merge options. Your template should have only the upper left set of placeholders on the page, and nothing else.

• 2. Re: Step and repeat with a mail merge
            ChristianJT101 Level 1

Ok, I haven't been able to get it to work just yet.

Let me make sure I get what you're saying.

I should have 1 finished label in the top left corner. Then I go to data merge > create merged document. Select multiple records. And then configure the spacing. I do all that and it ends up creating 30 pages with the label placed in the same top-left position.

Obviously, I'm missing a step somewhere. Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Step and repeat with a mail merge
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Most likely you have something else on the page or a large frame or someting that makes it impossible to duplicate -- EVERYTHING on the page gets repeated as many times as will fit using the spacing you specify.

Best bet, in my opinion is to draw one frame (no stroke or fill) the size of a label and do the entire layout inside that frame, then you should be able to set the spacing to 0. Also, there is a bug in CS5/5.5 that causes an incorrect merge if you preview before actually running the merge. If you feel you need to preview, Undo before merging.