5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 8:30 PM by Xellon Night

Laggy preview

Xellon Night

Hello. I have a powerful computer (just go based off that).

For some reason, when I drag a video into the timeline  (SD video) and hit play, its way too choppy and laggy. How can I fix this? I searched google and they mentioned I had to render the video, but when I hit "enter" or go to sequence, render effects in work area, it simply plays the video and doesn't do anything else.

• 1. Re: Laggy preview
          Xellon Night Level 1

Well, as for more detail, I'm using a divx codac video in avi. audio is in pcm (I think thats uncompressed).

I'm using an i7-720m processor with a 5870 graphics card and 8 gigs of ram. So I highly doubt its my computer being slow.

Also, the resolution on the video is only 704 by 360.

I currently have cccp installed and I do remember premiere asking me to download codacs or other stuff when I first installed it which I did. Let me know how I can fix the laggy issue on the video.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Laggy preview
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One - divx is a streaming video codec that is not meant to be edited... and does not, very well, in Premiere

Convert to DV AVI TYPE 2 with 16bit 48khz sound to edit

Having a "powerful compuer" does not mean it is configured to edit video

You need at least two 7200rpm hard drive... one for operating system and all software, the other for all video files

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 3. Re: Laggy preview
              Xellon Night Level 1

Thanks John. I understand completely. I have 1 SSD and 2 7200rpm drive so I'm good there.

How do I render the preview though? I was able to render it once before and it played just fine. But now for some reason, I can't figure out how to render the preview. Last time, I just hit enter and a new window comes up. Now when I hit enter, It just plays the preview.

• 4. Re: Laggy preview
                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are all of the specs. of those SD files?

What is the Project/Sequence Preset?

With SD files, the I/O sub-system is very important to performance. Can you tell us all about your HDD's?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Laggy preview
                  Xellon Night Level 1

Here are the specs of the video in a txt file - http://www.mediafire.com/?6v7m116f6z6b0cf So yea, a pretty big SD file.

I'm using a 320 intel Series with 120gb of space. I did a read/write speed and the read speed was pretty high (around 230-250mb/s) while the write speed was decent (around 100-130mb/s). my 2 other 500gb drives read/write is between 60-80mb/s

as for the presets, not sure what you mean exactly, other then everything should be a default.

edit - O, i didn't use a sequence, I dragged my video into a  new set and deleted the previous sequence I picked.

edit - I see what you mean. I put the video on my D drive instead of my C drive, and though its still laggy, its playing a lot better. Hmm.......

nvm, they are about the same. I'm lost though, according to my gadget, only 13% of my drives R/W speed is being used. I guess it is the divx format. Is h264 the best way to convert to keep the quality?

edit - converting did the trick. Thanks