16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 6:41 PM by meduri99 RSS

'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

cinabunbun

Hi!

I really hope someone can help me!

I am trying to import MOV files into Premiere CS5 (latest version, just downloaded last week) and I get the error message "file has no audio or video streaming.'

I can open these files just fine in Final Cut Pro X (which I hate, so hence why I am back on Premiere).

I already downloaded Quicktime 7, and the Quicktime Pro Codecs here (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396). When I tried to install those codecs, I got an error saying there is a newer version of the codecs installed on my machine.

My info:

Mac OS 10.6.8

Quicktime 10

(I read you also needed to download Quicktime 7 for some codecs. I did that, but it didn't help.)

Premiere CS5.5 (Trial)*

*I read the old trial did not allow you to import MOVs, but that the new trial does not have an issue -- so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

• 1. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

For the Mac, isn't QT up to version 10.x?

In QT, what are the full properties of that/those MOV file(s)?

Where did the MOV file(s) come from?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
              cinabunbun Community Member

Here are the results of the Media Inspector. These were MXF files, which FCPX can no longer import. I converted them into MOVs using the PavTube Media Converter for Mac.

Again, FCPX can hanlde the files, no problem. Not sure why Premiere requires an additional codec to handle the files. I already downloaded Quicktime codecs from the Apple site. Not sure what other codecs I need.

Screen shot 2012-01-31 at 9.38.43 AM.png

• 4. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                JSS1138 Community Member

I converted them into MOVs

Try skipping that step.  PP is designed to work with native camera media.

• 5. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

Your reply indicates AVC (aka AVCHD) which is a native format for PPro CS5/5.5

But, since you are converting, there may be something wrong with the conversion

What does the file analyzer show for the original files?

• 6. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

Here's the info of the original source files:

* * * Media Inspector 0.7.443 file analysis report.

* * * Media Inspector is ©2011 by Diego Massanti - http://mediainfo.massanti.com

* * * MediaInfoLib by Jerome Martinez - http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Created on: Feb 1, 2012 2:32:58 PM CST

Report for file: 0002QZ.MXF

General / Container Stream #1

Total Video Streams for this File.................1

Total Audio Streams for this File.................4

Video Codecs Used.................................DV

Audio Codecs Used.................................PCM / PCM / PCM / PCM

File Format.......................................MXF

Play Time.........................................4mn 55s

Total File Size...................................3.96 GiB

Total Stream BitRate..............................115 Mbps

Encoded with......................................Panasonic P2 2.0

Video Stream #1

Codec (Human Name)................................DV

Frame Width.......................................960 pixels

Frame Height......................................720 pixels

Frame Rate........................................29.970 fps

Total Frames......................................8850

Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9

Video Standard....................................NTSC

Scan Type.........................................Progressive

Color Space.......................................YUV

QF (like Gordian Knot)............................5.187

Video Stream Length...............................4mn 55s 295ms

Video Stream BitRate..............................107 Mbps

Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR

Bit Depth.........................................10 bits

Video Stream Size.................................3.69 GiB (93%)

Audio Stream #1

Codec.............................................PCM

Audio Stream Length...............................4mn 55s 295ms

Audio Stream BitRate..............................768 Kbps

Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR

Number of Audio Channels..........................1

Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz

Bit Depth.........................................16 bits

Audio Stream Delay................................21h 58mn

Audio Stream Size.................................0.00 Byte (0%)

Audio Stream #2

Audio Stream #3

Audio Stream #4

• 7. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

I should also add that working with the MXF file causes Premiere to crash, so the MXF files might not be an option...

• 8. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                        shooternz Community Member

The original files appear to be 720p MXF from a Panasonic ( HVX P2 type of camera device)

Edit those natively without conversion.

You may need to install the P2 codec from Panasonic.

• 9. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                          JSS1138 Community Member

As a point of interest, P2 isn't a codec.  It's a storage system.  It can hold several codecs like DV, DVCPro, DVCPRO HD and AVC-I.  All of which have native support in Premiere Pro, so one shouldn't need to install anything further to work with any media from a P2 card.

• 10. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

I wasn't able to edit them natively at all. FCPX won't work with the files at all, and Premiere crashes when I try to import the native MXF files.

Beats me. I've been doing video production for years and have never had this problem.

• 11. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                              shooternz Community Member

so one shouldn't need to install anything further to work with any media from a P2 card.

Actually....I think you do because I think that DVCPROHD etc is included in the P2  mxf from Panasonic

http://panasonic.sixbullets.net/

I do recall that I had to install P2 drivers in my systems when I was using P2 mxf media. 

• 12. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

All the drivers and firmware updates say "Not Found."

I found this searching around: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/macp2driver_e.htm

We'll see if it works!

I tried both FCP and Premiere, and neither will recognize the MXF files.

The camera was a rental, so I had to copy the P2 card contents onto a hard drive. I had done this in the past with no issues. Not sure why neither programs want to recognize the files.

• 13. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

>camera was a rental

That of course means you can't go back and look at the camera setting screen to see if there was something "odd" about the recording

Did you happen to look before recording, and write the settings in your set notes?

• 14. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!

Unfortunately, I did not have time to do that. It was a pretty rushed thing... I did look through the settings and nothing seemed out of order. But I can't recall the exact settings.

Just downloaded the P2 drivers.

Premiere is actually almost importing now, but the progress bar gets stuck...

• 15. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                                      actiontan

I'm getting the same error, but i think my files started in MOV format. i recorded some footage off of this kodak handheld and MOVs were what i ended up with. i'm running windows 7, so i'm not sure if the mac codec listed at the start will help my problem. when i ran the gspot app, it said "Codec Status Undetermined."

is there some kind of obscure codec that i'm missing?

• 16. Re: 'File has no audio or video streaming' error -- I have codecs!
                                        meduri99

I am struggling with same problem.

In My case, I am using a Canon XF300 (My Own) that spits MXF files and I am using iMedia Converter to make the MOV files with Full HD. First question here is, is there any other best format to work with on Premier Pro than MOV?

I have captured the Media Inspector result here http://pastie.org/pastes/3312989

Please suggest.