7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 4:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?

the marketing guy Level 1

I have a sequence of still images in the Sceneline (Elements 10) and have added a soundtrack. When I move an image resulting in a (temporary) gap in the image sceneline, the soundtrack is broken up also. The soundtrack serves as a visual guideline for the length of my video-- so I don't want it to change as I edit the images. Is there a way to "decouple" the soundtracck from the images when editing?

• 1. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's called rippling.

To override, it, hold down the Ctrl key (or the Cmd key on a Mac) as you add new media to your timeline.

• 2. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?

THanks-- that works for adding a new image to the sceneline. But when I hold down the CTRL key while moving inages around *within* the sceneline, the image I'm moving overwrites the one I place it over (rather than shifting all images to the right... as you can tell, I'm a new user (probably a simple solution).

• 3. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Ctrl modifier key changes the Edit from a Ripple Edit (the default without the modifier key) to the Insert Edit, which WILL overwrite any Clip, over which it's placed. When you want a Ripple Edit, just do not hold down the Ctrl key.

I also strongly recommend doing Insert Edits in Timeline View Mode. Ripple Edits are safer in Sceneline, but I still use Timeline View Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?

If I do not hold the Ctrl key, the image that I move and insert leaves a gap in the soundtrack below it... sort of back to square one: I don't want to mess w/the soundtrack.

THe only thing I have figured out to do is (1) select all images in the sceneline to the right of where I'll move the image, (2) move them all to the right, creating a gap that is larger than the image I'll move (but the soundtrack is still intact, no gaps), (3) deselect the group of images, (4) move the image to it's new spot, (5) manually move the remaining images from step 1 back to the left to the left to fill the gaps.

Seems like there should be an easier way, but I can handle this...

It may easier just to close gaps in the soundtrack, but I'd rather not create splits in the soundtrack.

• 5. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have added an Audio file, that is not muxed with the Video. Do you also have Audio, that IS muxed, that you want to remain?

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow one to Lock Tracks, like PrPro does. That solves this problem easily, and I have filed multiple Feature Requests for this function.

Now, in my workflow, I do not add any music soundtracks in PrE, until my Video editing is complete, but then, I am not editing musci videos, so it's much easier for me.

About the best that one can do in PrE is to Alt-click the Video (that temporarily unlinks it from any muxed Audio), and then to move things around use the Insert Edit (the Ctrl modifier key), and just drag that Clip to a higher Video Track, leaving the gap. Then, do the same thing with the next Video Clip, and shuffle it around, as needed. There might be several instances, where you will want to place several Clips on the higher Video Track, to keep them out of the way for a bit, shuffle things around, and then bring them back down to the Video Track 1, to fill the gaps. It's a bit of extra work, but is very doable. Note: this is all done in the Timeline View Mode.

Good luck, and maybe others have some tips for editing Video in a music video.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?

Thanks Bill-- Yes, locking tracks sounds like a great idea! Maybe I'll upgrade to PrPro.

• 7. Re: Change still image sequence without moving soundtrack?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I keep hoping that PrE can add that feature, as it can be so very useful, and not just for music videos.

I am not a coder, nor do I know what's under the hood of PrE, and PrPro, but it seems that it would be fairly easy - maybe not so easy?

OTOH, PrPro is a fabulous program, and if one chose one of the suites, like the Production Premium, the other programs are killer. Even with just the stand-alone PrPro, one gets the great, full-featured authoring app, Encore, and OnLocation.

If I were planning on going to PrPro, I think that I might hold off, until CS6 hits. I know that Adobe will send me a nasty-gram for saying that, but it looks like MUCH might change - only rumors right now. OTOH, CS 5.5 is stellar, and few have found any issues, so long as they have an adequate computer, running a 64-bit OS, that is tuned.

Good luck,

Hunt