15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2013 8:18 AM by JJ-Amsterdam

DVD Folder

Fitznkath Level 1

I created a AVCHD project in Premiere Elements 10 and then burned it to a folder.  Now when I try to burn it to disc the burner porgram says the folder is not a DVD folder. What is wrong here?

• 1. Re: DVD Folder
          nealeh Level 5

It means you have burned a data folder rather than a multimedia folder. PRE cannot burn a Blu-Ray multimedia project to a folder, only straight to disk. You can burn a DVD project to disk or folder.

What are you trying to do - burn something that will play on a DVD player, or Blu-Ray player, or for online sharing, or for playing directly on a computer ? Let us know so that we can help you with it..

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: DVD Folder
            Fitznkath Level 1

I am trying to burn an AVCHD DVD.  I tried burning straight to disc. PRE said the burn was successful. But the disc will not play (checked on 2 Blu-ray players and 1 DVD player).  So another suggestion was to Burn to Folder, then burn that to Disc using software that came with the burner.  But when I did the AVCHD Burn to Folder, which the Help File says you can do, I get a file that the burner program does not recognize.  There is no Video or Audio_TS folder.  The project itself is sound.  I have made an M2t file and a WMA file, both play fine on computers, and my Walkman.

• 3. Re: DVD Folder
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Technically, there's no such thing as an AVCHD DVD.

AVCHD is a hi-definition video file. DVDs are standard definition.

You can burn AVCHD to a disc, but it won't be a DVD. And you won't be able to play it on a disc player. Only a computer.

There is an AVCHD BluRay disc. But you select the option from Share/Disc/BluRay. Not from Share/Computer/AVCHD.

Otherwise,you end up with an AVCHD file on a disc-- which is not the same thing as an AVCHD BluRay disc.

• 4. Re: DVD Folder
                Fitznkath Level 1

Thank you Steve.  That makes sense and answers my question.  I did not get that from the Help file (or your book—which is very helpful in other areas).  Looks like I was trying to produce something that was neither fish nor fowl.  My bad.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: DVD Folder
                  nealeh Level 5

But you can use a DVD to burn a short HD project to that is playable in a Blu-Ray player. This is how I do it:

Share> Disc> AVCHD. Select Burn to: Folder. After it finishes use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD blank (I use re-writeables when testing).

The Blu-Ray produced (on a DVD) can now be played on your Blu-Ray player. Even though it is using a DVD blank, your DVD player cannot play it - you must use a Blu-Ray player.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 6. Re: DVD Folder
                    Fitznkath Level 1

When you burn to Folder: what folders are created?  Which of those folders is the one you burn to disc?  Also, when you say a short HD project, how long do you mean? The project I have been trying to burn is 67 minutes.

Thanks for your input.

• 7. Re: DVD Folder
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you burn to a folder, the program creates a VIDEO_TS folder as well as some other files.

Just burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a playable disc and you'll have a DVD!

• 8. Re: DVD Folder
                        nealeh Level 5

1.png

Above is the folder structure created below BDMV.

I believe you can get around twenty minutes of HD footage burned to a single layer DVD blank.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 9. Re: DVD Folder
                          woodygs Level 1

Hello Everyone.

I would like to start by saying what a terrific forum this is. I'm new to Premiere Elements but have learned a lot in the past couple of weeks. I believe the file that Fitznkath is looking for is located in the Stream folder shown in the print screen that nealeh provided above. I have also been dealing with this share/disc/avchd output because I want the best looking picture quality of my stills on my blueray player without having a blueray burner. I however do not burn to a folder, I burn directly to the DVD disc once I choose the AVCHD output. Most of the time it works but many times I get a transcoding error. This is the problem I am trying to figure out now. it usually happens when my project gets larger, near completion. My system meets and slightly exceeds the min specs for Premiere, but do you think that system resources can be the cause of the transcoding error?

• 10. Re: DVD Folder
                            pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

If you are trying to burn AVCHD DVD Disc then the Disc will not contain any Video TS folder.

For AVCHD DVD Disc, only the BDMV folder will be created and under that there are some other folders(It is same as Blu ray folder structure)

You need Blu ray player to play the AVCHD DVD disc.

If you are trying to burn PAL AVCHD project then some blu ray player does not support PAL Discs.

Please check you player specification, or you can try to burn NTSC AVCHD Disc and play on blu ray player.

You can also play the AVCHD DVD Discs on a Software player like Power DVD.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 11. Re: DVD Folder
                              woodygs Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply Pankaj. I have figured out my problem. I was letting Premiere resize my large still pictures and I guess it was just too much for my system to handle. I took Bill Hunt’s recommendation to resize pictures in Elements first to the proper frame size and then save as a PSD file, not Jpeg. This worked great. I used the NTSC/AVCHD/1920x1080i preset and burned the project to a DVD disc. The slide show resolution was great, HD not DVD resolution.

• 12. Re: DVD Folder
                                JJ-Amsterdam Level 1

"Just burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a playable disc and you'll have a DVD!"

The internal drive of my MacBookPro is broken and Premier Elements 11 sees none of my external burn drives. So I burned a DVD to a folder including a VIDEO_TS next to an OpenDVD folder. I burned both folders to a data DVD using Toast Titanium (again, any Mac tools don't see the external drive). This wouldn't start playing as a DVD.

Any clue how exactly I need to burn that VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD? Do I choose Data and burn the entire folder or only its contents?

Thanks,

Jürgen

• 13. Re: DVD Folder
                                  nealeh Level 5

JJ-Amsterdam wrote:

Do I choose Data and burn the entire folder or only its contents?

No, in your disk burning software you need to specify that it is a media disk - the entire folder will then be burnt. A data disk is just like the results of a file copy and will not be recognised by a DVD player.as a video DVD)

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 14. Re: DVD Folder
                                    nealeh Level 5

Looking at the top left of the screenshot here http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/howto-burn-bluray-toast, You want the Video> DVD Video.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 15. Re: DVD Folder
                                      JJ-Amsterdam Level 1

Thanks for the tip!

Dragging the VIDEO_TS folder copied some files but gave an error regarding four files not being compatible. But all of a sudden Premiere recognises my external drive (as B: on a Mac) and I could successfully burn a DVD.