8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 6:19 AM by binnyam

InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font

krspondy

I have Indic Plus with InDesign CS4 but some of the malayalam characters are not displayed properly. Can anyone help me out to solve this is?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Joel is our resident complex script expert. He's going to want to know the name and version of your font, so if you psot that now it will save him having to ask later. He's usually around in the evenings US pacific time.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check out this parallel forum thread about Devanagari where the problem appears to be the Indic Plus paragraph/style composer, and the workaround:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/956333?tstart=0

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Iv'e never used IndicPlus, but I've been told that the folks over at MetaDesign are responsive to user requests for bugfixes. rbairi's thread was about Devanagari glyphs that were displaying correctly in InDesign, but not stacking correctly when exporting PDF. If the Malayam glyphs are failing to stack correctly, it's probably either a) the font does not work with the IndicPlus paragraph composer, or b) that character composer is not turned on. And, just like in rbairi's thread, the test is: does it work correctly with the World-Ready Composer turned on? In that thread, at the very end, he figured out a very easy way to test it.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
                krspondy Level 1

Hi,

Find below the requested details.

Font Name: KARTIKA

Font Version: 5.90

Font Type: Open Type

Font Name: KARTIKAB

Font Version: 5.90

Font Type: Open Type

• 5. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
                  krspondy Level 1

I don't have any problems with other south indian langauges i.e. Tamil, Teleugu and Kannada. I found that InDesign is not supporting script fonts without Indic Plus. If you have any other solution, please share it with me.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, I missed your response somehow.

I don't have any problems with other south indian langauges i.e. Tamil, Teleugu and Kannada. I found that InDesign is not supporting script fonts without Indic Plus. If you have any other solution, please share it with me.

Well, in that thread that Steve linked to, I pointed out that the Indic Plus paragraph composer must behave in some way differently from the World-Ready Composer, because it worked with one and not the other. I'd suggest trying out the World-Ready Composer, because I process complex-script text all the time and only occasionally find a composition error.

So, my basic solution is: Try the World-Ready Composer.  If your Malayam text displays correctly when the text is using the WRC, you know that you have a problem with Indic Plus. If it doesn't display correctly, then I wonder how you're getting the improperly-displaying text into InDesign (are you placing a Word doc, or keying it manually, or perhaps copying & pasting?) and what symptoms are you experiencing (e.g. are your vowel signs not combining?).

• 7. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
                      krspondy Level 1

Finally I understand that Indic plus is not fully supporting Malayalam. Almost 90% of text are displayed correctly in InDesign but some of the characters are wrongly displayed. So I found that the issue is with Indic Plus. However, as a alternative if I use Panchari font (different keyboard type font), then everything is fine. The other interesting fact is there is no need for Indic Plus if we use Panchari font.

Anyhow thanks for all the users response for my query.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS4 - Problem with Malayalam font
                        binnyam

Are you using a non unicode version of Panchari font or the unicode version? do you have any issues with hyphenation in Panchari?