6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 6:15 AM by Szalam

export video to illustrator?

Arrakis Level 1

I wanted to paint over my video by hand to make a nice cartoon look because I dont like the filters or plug ins that fake it but Ive relaised that after effects paint brush tool is pretty useless for this as it has no smoothing capability like illustrator does.  Is there a way to export my footage to illustrator to paint my frames then import back to after effects??   I know I can export to photoshop but again photoshops paintbrush tool is not very good.

• 1. Re: export video to illustrator?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Simply export an image sequence and treat it in AI as separate images. AI doesn't do any sequential processing otehr than mangling stuff through actions just liek in PS, but of course that would not work with brush strokes that need to be placed. At best you could perhaps use auto-trace for some semi-automated stuff, but it will still be mostly manual labor.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: export video to illustrator?
            Arrakis Level 1

So after I finish in AI how do I get it back to after effects or premiere as a sequence etc

I dont understand why adobe wouldnt make a nice smooth brush effect in after effects like in AI. Without it the brush is useless for painting.

Maybe flash might be better as I can then see my frames on the timeline?  Im not sure if I feel like painting over 200 frames one at a time to be honest. I thought it would be  a good idea until I relaise how much work I would have to do and how crap the results are.  Its impossible to make the painting look the same from frame to frame using this method.  Isnt therer a better way. I though rotoscoping did this but obviously not in after effects.

• 3. Re: export video to illustrator?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do that with rotoscoping. Here is a page full of tips on rotoscoping. You could fill the areas with a solid color and stroke the mask and everything.

• 4. Re: export video to illustrator?
                Arrakis Level 1

Hi thanks for the link.  When you say you can do with rotoscoping do you mean with the rotobrush tool?   The paint brush is useless as it wont smooth.

• 5. Re: export video to illustrator?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could export your video as an image sequence in a special folder, then open up bridge, select all of the images in the folder and open them up in Illustrator. If you're using something Illustrator to auto trace the images then you could set up an action to do that and batch process the whole thing. Then you could import the illustrator files as a sequence in AE.

• 6. Re: export video to illustrator?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Roto Brush tool is nice if you have it, but I meant traditional rotoscoping with masks, etc. Rick's idea might be a better one for you though.